< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Aldo's .45 ACP formula  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
Aldo's .45 ACP formula
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:31:06 PM »
No, this is not Aldo's famous Italian sauce recipe that will make you drool while watching The Godfather series or The Sopranos  8), but it is the formula for my .45 ACP reloads that work for me with my G30 and G21:

Shell: Winchester; RP; CCI
Powder: Alliant Bullseye (4.6-4.7 gr)
Bullet: Zero 230gr FMJ
OAL: 1.268-1.270 in
Primer: Federal large # 150; CCI large # 300
Scale: Scheels digital scale
Ruler: Frankford Arsenal digital calipers
Reloader: Lee 4-die turret press with carbide dies (thanks to CZ and Dave for the advice to crimp the reloads)
Tumber: Dillon CV-500 tumbler with corn cob....no walnut: my daughter is allergic to nuts--not including me ;D
Manual: Modern Reloading Manual 2nd Edition

Final product: Now thats-ah one-ah nice-ah meatball!! ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:09:36 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Aldo's .45 ACP formula
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:43:06 PM »
Bullet weight?  Velocity?  SD/ES?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:38:56 AM »
Bullet weight?  Velocity?  SD/ES?

Hey, JimP, thanks for askin'.

Weight of Zero bullet: ranges 229.2-230.2 gr (Winchester ranges 229.6-230.6)
Overall weight of reload: ranges 321.4-323.8 gr, mostly 322.0-322.6 (factory ranges 321.5-322.5)
Velocity: ??? (I don't have one of those chronograph thigamajobs...manual says if I use 5.0 gr powder, then it would be 950 fps, so I am guessing that it is less with the l owerpowder wgt I use)
SD/ES: ??? (pardon my ignorance of not knowing what that is....sounds like an STD) ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:10:38 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 11:56:42 AM »
I'm still gettin' used to the weight of the G21 (received it as a gift for Christmas from my sons, and only able to get out a couple of times with the weather since then).  My gun of choice for the past several years is the G30 which is still my carry, and so I have gotten used to that puppy.  But tryin' CZ's G21 last summer at Rock Your Glock had me droolin' to get that into my arsenal for this year's Rock Your Glock.  The droolin' had my boys thinkin' I was on meds, but then they realized that I was just hungry for a G21...and then voila!  ;D

So, here is at least an end result of 25yds out with the G21:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:20:35 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Here is what some of the lingo means.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:37:07 PM »
For re-loads handgun or long-gun.

Try to include:
Powder Brand,     (Hodgdon HP-38)
Charge Weight,    (Grains)
Primer Type,        (Brand and name or #)
Bullet Brand,        (Hornaday)
Type and Weight, (HP, FMJ 230 Grains)
OAL                    (overall length)
Type of action,     (semi-auto, revolver, bolt)
Barrel Length,       (inches)
Twist Rate           ( 1:8 )

Chronograph data is also important. (if available)
Include the tested
Muzzle Velocity,
Extreme Spread (ES),
Standard Deviation (SD) if possible.
Short summary of your load:
Example ?Great 600-yard accuracy, near max, works best with light neck tension, low ES/SD.?

Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:45:51 AM »
Aldo, I have a Chrony....... not a real spendy Chronograph, but it works.   I would be happy to bring it to a meet and greet when we have another one.

Extreme Spread (ES) is the difference between the highest velocity and lowest velocity recorded in the string of shots. 

Standard Deviation (SD) is the measure of dispersion  of data points in a data set- in this case, velocities- basically, how close to the mean (average) velocity most of the velocities are.

Both ES and SD measure how consistent your loads are....... which is extremely important for benchrest type accuracy, but not so much for punching cardboard/ plinking ....... unless you are playing around the minimum or maximum charge levels..........

Most load/gun combinations have a "sweet spot" where the the SD (and group) will stay small ....... at least  that has been my experience.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:39:34 PM »
Hey, JimP, sounds great to me!

It's obvious I don't know that part of the equation of what I am doing with my reloads, and I appreciate the offer!  It would be good to test out what I am doing with more objectivity than what I am now doing with just target shooting.

Now here's a dumb question on my part: when testing my .45s, wouldn't I need to have them braced in a vice to eliminate the human element of hand-holding, moving the handgun when squeezing the trigger, etc?

Next dumb question: using my digital scale, would I want to group my loads so that they are in exact same weight groups, especially since my overall weight of the reloads range from 321.4-323.8, or is that getting too nitpicky (is that a word)?

One more dumb question: my reload manual gives me the max amount of powder limit, but it does not give me the min amount, and I can't find that anywhere on the net for the powder I use.  Ideas?

Thanks again to offer re the chronograph testing of my reloads.  Right now the only meets I go to are Rock Your Glock at Ike's.  Perhaps at the end of one of those meets???
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 11:51:30 PM »
Quoted from Aldo
"Now here's a dumb question on my part: when testing my .45s, wouldn't I need to have them braced in a vice to eliminate the human element of hand-holding, moving the handgun when squeezing the trigger, etc?"

First there are no dumb questions.
The Chronograph will only have minute variations if any from not using a gun vise. I have one but due not use it when testing my re-loads. More important is that you keep the same distance from the Chronograph sensing rods.

"Next dumb question: using my digital scale, would I want to group my loads so that they are in exact same weight groups, especially since my overall weight of the reloads range from 321.4-323.8, or is that getting too nit picky (is that a word)?"

Yes nitpicky :adj Definition: overly critical, esp. on trivial matters;
focused on only trivial aspects

This depends how much time you have, by sorting bullet weight, brass brand and weight you will have more consistency in your reloads both inaccuracy and in velocity. Very time consuming. If you want Match Grade bullets than purchase them they will have the least amount of bullet weight deviation and do cost more.

"One more dumb question: my reload manual gives me the max amount of powder limit, but it does not give me the min amount, and I can't find that anywhere on the net for the powder I use.  Ideas?"

Minimum powder charge weight is 10% less weight than the maximum safe weight amount.

Here is one good web site. http://www.hodgdon.com/
With information on three different powder brands, powder burn rates, bullet weight and charge weights.

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 11:33:55 AM »
Hey, Randy.  Greatly appreciate the responses!  :)

1) Good to know about not having to use a vise.

2) I already sort my reloads by brass brand, bullet brand, but not by overall weight.  For the testing, though, I don't mind putting in the time since JimP is game on spending the time with his chronograph.

3) Good to know that 10% rule to use re the min powder limit.  With 5.0 being my max listed in the manual, seems like I am in the ok window by using 4.6.  Thanks also for that website!
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 03:45:28 PM »
Jim P, will not steer you wrong. Good man.
Also you are welcome.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 04:08:36 PM »
Nitpicky?  Just find a load that works for what you want it for- that is the beauty of relaoding: you can make what YOU want, not what Ginormous Ammo, Inc. want to sell you! For Less!

For plinkin', I like 4.7 grains of 700x, (behind a Berry's 230g plated bullet) because it is cheap, fills more than 1/2 the case (preventing double charges), burns fairly clean, and is pretty consistent for me.  It only generates around 750 f/sec, but cans and paper don't know the difference.

For pins, I liked 6.5 grains of Vitavuori n-340, until my source of Vitavuori powders disappeared.....  besides being hard to find, n-340 is kinda spendy and sensitive to high temps.....  loads that were fine when developed in Jan. were on the hot side at July pin matches........

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 08:43:11 AM »
For plinkin', I like 4.7 grains of 700x, (behind a Berry's 230g plated bullet) because it is cheap
JimP...thanks for the info.  From where do you purchase the powder and bullets you mention for plinking?  I have been dropping in at Sheels here in Lincoln for my powder and primers, and then I order my bullets online from RoseDistribution.
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 09:55:18 AM »
Both Guns Unlimited and Cabela's have IMR 700X (and all the other IMR products).  Both also carry  Hodgdon and Alliant powders...... Scheels had Accurate and Vihtavuori (some of them, anyway) last time I was there.......

Cabela's  has the Berry's plated bullets....... sometimes.  They seem to be out of stock of everthing I am looking for these days.......