< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CHP in Nebraska State Parks? Do any prohibit guns?  (Read 1819 times)

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
CHP in Nebraska State Parks? Do any prohibit guns?
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:55:26 PM »
Hello all,

Are there any State Parks in NE that prohibit guns in general?  I hear that some are posted and some are not.

Accordings to Handgunlaw.us it says that it is allowed.  I also found the N.A.C. Title 163 Ch 5 001.10E that says that 'use' is prohibited but says nothing about possession.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:14:23 PM by just_me_mongo »
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Re: CHP in Nebraska State Parks? Do any prohibit guns?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 07:34:21 AM »
Only way it is prohibited is if a particular park is posted.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: CHP in Nebraska State Parks? Do any prohibit guns?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 08:19:10 AM »
The prohibited use comes in, as I understand it, that , as with many National Parks, You are allowed by law to CCW, but yo are not allowed to discharge a firearm. (essentially saying you can't go target practicing anywhere) So in otherwords, you had better have a danged good reason for a discharge of any sort.
That being said, though, there have been instances of Self defense against animals (justified) where the gun owner was ticketed for the 'illegal' discharge.   
I have personally had an 'official contact' with G&P LEOs (slight misinterpretation of signage) in which I declared my CCW status.  They said thanks for teling us. and we all went about our business.  One even made the comment that they view firearms a little differently than the officers in town might.   
That contact made me feel more at ease carrying while camping and fishing.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane