< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Primers  (Read 2500 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Primers
« on: May 21, 2012, 07:48:37 PM »
Been having some issues with my 500 S&W giving light primer strikes on Rem Large Rifle Primers. But the issue seems to be the primers themselves, the first 50 shots I had no problem, but my last 100 they have progressively been less consistent. Some go off on the first shot without much indent (compared to my bolt action) and most of them take 2 or even 3 hits to go off when they had the same or more indent than some others that went off. So I plan on avoiding remington primers since they must have hard cups. A reloading group I belong to on facebook has had many people recommend CCI primers. I have some CCI LR Magnum primers leftover from when I reloaded 300wm, but I plan on avoiding those until I start using a powder that fills the case more(I use 18gr of Titegroup now). Thoughts on CCI or other brands? I would like to try other brands before getting a new hammer spring since the single action is soooooo light and wonderful. But come hunting season I want a reliable bullet, last year was my first year deer hunting and was unsuccessful so this year I want to get my first deer AND have it be taken with a handgun.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Primers
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 07:58:23 PM »
Federal Primers are famous for being easy to set off as they are slightly softer. Also make certain you are getting the primers fully seated in the cup
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:10:39 PM »
I am by no means an expert at reloading, but Federals have a reputation for uniformity. I've been using them in the long gun with nothing but good results. Could also check and/or uniform your flash-holes and primer pockets.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »
I use Federal only in all my pistol loads
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 08:25:45 PM »
I am by no means an expert at reloading, but Federals have a reputation for uniformity. I've been using them in the long gun with nothing but good results. Could also check and/or uniform your flash-holes and primer pockets.

First thing I do is flash hole deburr and cut them all to the same depth.

Looks like Federal are at the top of my list to try.

Offline Necede

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »
Years ago I had a new Performance Center S&W 629. At first it worked fine and then it started taking two or three strikes to set off the primer. I sent it back to the factory and it turned out to be such and such screws, I forget the proper term, were out of adjustment. It has worked fine since the fix.
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.         Sigmund Freud

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »
Honestly, I would send it back for service.  You paid good money for a high quality firearm and for it to fail to ignite any commercially available primer is unacceptable.  Just my .02.

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 09:15:53 AM »
I used to have a handi rifle in 500sw.  I was using starline cases with the large rifle pocket and had constant light primer strikes.  When I got some winchester cases my problems went away.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »
I use CCI primers for all my loads, never had a problem.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 07:56:58 PM »
CCI seemed to have pretty decent reviews.
I picked up 1000 large pistol recently and was a little disappointed that the shapes vary when you look at them setting in the original tray. So far, they seat OK and look OK but haven't fired any yet.

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »
I 2nd Ron on this....always use CCI when i can get them if i cant i try for federals....never had a problem with either. Stuck on CCI because thats what my dad always used

Offline farmrboy

• Got Zombies?
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Farmrboy
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »
I use any brand of primer except Remington. I had problems with them many yrs ago and decided to stay away from them. You said the problem gradually got worse? It sounds like a problem with the gun though. I would recomemend calling cust serv.
NRA life member,  reloader since 1980, bullet caster since 2012, on Facebook- senior admin Reloading the Hornady Way, admin-The Reloading Room, Cast Bullets and Bullet Casting, NRA, Reloading Mentors North America

Offline D1sclaimer

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »
Sorry to bump an old thread.  Have you tried the CCI primers yet?

That's what I use in my X Frame and have had no issues with them.  I've yet to have a pierced primer or any other issue with around 300 max loads with Alliant 300-MP and CCI LR (non-magnum) primers.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »
Federal primers have had a 100% detonation on the first try. Gone through probably 200 so far. No need for me to switch now that I found ones that work, thanks though.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 08:31:52 PM »
I've had good luck with winchester and cci pistol primers.

I've had some fail-to-fire on my 357mag, but I think that's due to improper seating (meaning it's all user-too-stupid heh).

Out of curiosity - 357mag with win296 powder out of a 2-2.5" barrel is an absolute joy to shoot ... makes factory ammo a joke for the most part.  Do hand loads in 500sw also increase the 'joy' of shooting the weapon by leaps and bounds ?  And no, I'm not referring to cost per trigger pull  :P
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D