< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: South Dakota Reciprocity  (Read 2300 times)

Offline cracked junior

• Forum Member
South Dakota Reciprocity
« on: May 23, 2012, 10:02:51 AM »
I am leaving tomorrow on a motorcycle ride to SD and Wy.   I would like to conceal carry the whole trip but I am having problems with determining if I am ok in SD.  One website says I am good but another says I'm not.   so which is it?

Thanks, Jeremy

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
Re: South Dakota Reciprocity
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:11:20 AM »
You would be fine.  I believe that South Dakota honors the Nebraska CCP but Nebraska does not honor the South Dakota CCP.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
South Dakota recognizes all permits, and sparky is correct Nebraska does not recognize theirs.

Offline cracked junior

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 07:52:17 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Bike is packed.  Now if the rain would stay away.

Offline johnnyblack

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:44:37 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Bike is packed.  Now if the rain would stay away.

Don't know what your experience was, but one recent trip to rapid city, I found the whole place - at least everywhere we went in 7 days was super chp friendly...in fact, I did not see one 'no guns' sign - except at the buildings at the 'faces

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 03:17:04 PM »
Wasn't there a SD state senator who tried to pass a law requiring everyone to own a firearm?

Offline Mikee Loxxer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:48:08 PM »
What I wonder about is carrying on Indian reservations in South Dakota. It seems as though during my CCW class it was pointed out that it is not clear whether or not tribal governments had to honor carry permits. I believe at issue was whether or not a reservation is considered a sovereign nation (closed reservation) such as the Rosebud and Pine Ridge in South Dakota. It seems as though the feeling is that a sovereign nation had no obligation to honor a carry permit that would be honored in the rest of the state.

Offline cracked junior

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 11:09:44 PM »
my experience was i had rain gear on the whole time.  got north of alliance and put rain gear on.  got to rapid city and stopped at kmart to buy hand/toe warmers.  had 2 in each glove and boot.  got to stugis and i had to have been hypodermic.  instead of camping in tent.  i got a small cabin with a hot shower.   warmed up.  went for a ride around sturgis, went to deadwood and down spearfish canyon.  that was awesome even in the rain.  got back took another hot shower.  watched the news.  weatherman said in the morning it will be 47. by noon it will be 42.   i checked weather on my phone for buffalo, wy.  high was gonna be 35.  so next morning i packed up and went home.    when i went through keystone there was a sign saying 42 degrees.   i think after mount rushmoore it was even colder.

i did carry the whole time.  never did see a sign anywhere.  i think Sd signs dont have any legal weight behind them.   

not sure on reservations. 

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 12:54:39 AM »
South Dakota is a very gun friendly state, got my first concealed permit there.  Just sent in my $10 in the mail and got it a week later.  No training or anything required.  No fuss no muss.  You can open carry and no one bats an eye.  Your fully loaded weapon should be in plain view if stopped by LE. 

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 10:56:37 AM »
  Your fully loaded weapon should be in plain view if stopped by LE. 
Really, I did not know that.  I'm not touching it unless he tells me he wants to see it.  If its on my side concealed and the cherry's go on behind me It's staying on my side concealed.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »
You can open carry and no one bats an eye.  Your fully loaded weapon should be in plain view if stopped by LE. 
Really, I did not know that.  I'm not touching it unless he tells me he wants to see it.  If its on my side concealed and the cherry's go on behind me It's staying on my side concealed.

I think he may be talking about open carry in that last sentence
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.