< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Open Carry  (Read 5042 times)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Open Carry
« on: May 23, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
Sums it up for me... and "sorry" to anyone whose feelings are hurt....

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Open Carry
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 04:51:29 PM »
Wasn't it extremely difficult to get a concealed carry permit in California, which limited most people to open carry? People who then open carried were the subject to the hassle that comes along with it, which then caused them to react due to fear/frustration - open carry in groups/ make statement?

I understand why those people did what they did. I'll add that I never OC unless I'm wandering around in the woods or away from people. The higher situational awareness is also too much for me. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:04:33 PM by NENick »

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 04:59:58 PM »
Interesting video. I look forward to observing the discussion that will inevitably follow on this thread. I would say that my opinions are pretty much inline with what as said in the video.

I do OC when I go out west to my folks, so do alot of people, including my dad with a slung 30-30 that he is quite fond of. It is not unusual to see someone walk into the feed store or Dick's place in Lawrence with a rifle, shotgun, or pistol being carried, for no other reason than they didn't want to leave it unsecured in a vehicle. I used to OC in my vehicle around Lincoln and on road trips, but I do not need to anymore.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »
In an urban setting, I agree to a point with them.  It is less likely to draw attention of those around you.

In a rural setting, or even just outside or Obamaha and "Stink'n Lincoln", I will open carry a majority of the time and see others that do the same too.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 06:43:45 AM »
Don't OC in Columbus!  You will become THE focus of attention as has been guaranteed by the Chief o' Police.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »
Don't OC in Columbus!  You will become THE focus of attention as has been guaranteed by the Chief o' Police.
I didn't hear about this. Has he publicly threatened everyone?

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 09:44:55 AM »
I remember in the early 90's when I lived in Columbus I would see open carry a couple times a week, never anymore when I visit family.  I graduated with a current officer on the police force there, I should try and contact him and see what he says about that.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »
I agree with the video. I just don't see the point in OC when concealed carry is possible. It only works to draw attention from others and to potentially cause problems. Unless it's necessary, why would I want to have my weapon out for all to see?
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 04:46:50 PM »
Same reason I wax my truck and clean the tires. Because it makes me happy ;)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 05:45:10 PM »
I agree with the video. I just don't see the point in OC when concealed carry is possible. It only works to draw attention from others and to potentially cause problems. Unless it's necessary, why would I want to have my weapon out for all to see?

Why on earth would you NOT want everyone to gaze at the beauty of that magnificent Glock of yours?

;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 08:38:53 PM »
I believe the thought is that normalizing the presence of firearms in daily life would reverse some of the world's hoplophobia, but it seems to have some unintended consequences IMHO
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 09:48:25 PM »
Just my .02, and I'm not saying either side is right or wrong, but I try to not draw attention to myself.  For me that includes keeping my gun concealed. 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 10:28:40 PM »
Why on earth would you NOT want everyone to gaze at the beauty of that magnificent Glock of yours?

;)

Glocks are great firearms and marvels of engineering, but I think that's the first time I've heard one described as beautiful......

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 08:41:17 AM »
Glocks are great firearms and marvels of engineering, but I think that's the first time I've heard one described as beautiful......

Ditto! I would n't go there, for sure.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »
OC was the only legal option in most places in California....... now it is illegal ......

Pincus suggests that because it was not popular with the powers that be, nobody should have done it.

Answer me this: What is the practical difference between something that you are legally allowed to do and afraid to do based on what the authorities think of it and something that is outlawed outright?  Bupkus.

My take is with OC outlawed in Cali, at least the Anti's can not claim your 2A rights are being respected because you could OC.  Were it not for the fact that the 9th Circus has jurisdiction over Cali, this would be a slam dunk 2A case......

Nothing important lost, and it has the potential to make great gains possible.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 08:37:45 PM »
I think what Rob was alluding to was the fact that the proverbial "thumbing one's nose" at the Libs in the CA Assembly was the nidus for them (The Assembly) to outlaw OC i.e. setback "legal" carry.  Right or wrong...agree or disagree....when dealing with tyrants its going to cost you at some point.  The rhetorical question for me/us is how far are you willing to push, and are you prepared to face the potential consequences?

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 07:21:12 AM »
I didn't hear about this. Has he publicly threatened everyone?

Early on during the Great CCW debate, he issued the general statement through the local paper.  The Columbus PD is not known as "gun friendly."
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 08:42:48 AM »
Lorimor it was the hollow gun fighter look in your eyes when you swaggered down main street that intimidated him.....

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 11:41:31 AM »
In principal I agree with the statements in the video.  But then again I OC all the time, around the house, in my immediate neighborhood, in my car.  Once outside of those comfort zones the shirt comes out of the pants or the jacket goes on. 

IMHO it’s all about each individuals personal “comfort zone”.  Out west it seems that the comfort zone is pretty large, but in the eastern tenth of the state its small.  As for Columbus, well I have never been there, but if I ever do I have an audio recorder on my phone.  Imagine how much fun we could have with that?

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »
What a load of hogwash. He ignores the fact that OC can deliver powerful deterrence. Sure, he may be right about it drawing unnecessary attention to oneself but he is dead wrong about people OC'ing being ass hats.
In CA at the time OC was the only average joe way of legally carrying a gun for protection. CA is may issue for ccw and its not affordable for people on the lower money spectrum. CA law requires that one need to get a $1 Million insurance policy in order to get a CCW. You also have to show "good cause" etc. CA only has approx. 33,000 ccw permits according to legallyarmed.com. It is impossible to get a permit in the heavily populated counties of the state.

Pincus argues that OC was banned as a direct cause of people OC'ing. That argument don't hold water as there are 43 States that have legal OC in some form or another (with permit & or without). People open carry in those states and have their OC picnics and rallies as well as the lone person carrying handgun openly and armed with video camera and giving the cops a run for their money. Has it resulted in an OC ban in all the other states? No....

The only reason why it was banned in CA is because that state is governed by the extremist far left. CA has a long history of violating 2nd Amendment rights and passing anti-gun laws regardless of what the constitution says. Did the OC rallies get the liberals' attention? Sure....but there were NO problems caused from any of these events nor individuals who legally carried openly. The liberals only reason they could come up with for banning OC was: "It creates a potentially dangerous situation for police and the public"....well driving on the interstate, using a chainsaw to cut wood and just about anything else in life requiring you to get out of bed in the morning can potentially create a dangerous situation.

Banning OC is clearly unconstitutional and it won't stand forever. CA's politicians and courts have argued, twisted the truth, and weaseled their way out of respecting the 2nd Amendment but their arguments and lies wont hold forever. They've already tongue tied themselves with their own fatal arguments and they are going to be called out on it soon. On top of what's going on within CA we also will likely soon see another case go before the US Supreme Court in which the court will rule whether the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms extends outside the home.
We have already seen success in this regard in a federal court in Maryland above all places where their May Issue law was ruled unconstitutional because the 2nd Amendment applies outside of the home.