< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Colt Commander  (Read 1570 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Colt Commander
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »
If you had a 30+ year old Colt Commander that showed a fair amount of holster wear, and you were going to have Colt refinish it, would you go with the original color (in this case blued)?  Would it hurt the value to go with something different (nickel, ss, chromed, etc.) than the original finish?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Colt Commander
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:20:18 PM »
Personally, I would leave it.  Patina is history. Each wear spot, scratch, scuff, etc holds a story for that firearm. I LOVE my old guns, and though tempted to refinish a few, I have resisted. I, for one would hate to erase history.  Why try to make a 30 year old gun look like a 1 year old gun?  As it is now, it's one of a kind. You shine it up and it will look like every other new safe queen Colt Commander.
Just my $.02. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:53:24 PM »
I'd consider Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision.  He's rebuilt a 1949 LWC for Clint Smith in the past year.  Absolutely beautiful craftmenship and Clint still shoots the thing. 

Also, see link below for Frank Ettin's story of 2 Commanders done by Jason. 

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=4

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:58:02 PM by bullit »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 11:20:34 PM »
Personally, I would leave it.  Patina is history. Each wear spot, scratch, scuff, etc holds a story for that firearm. I LOVE my old guns, and though tempted to refinish a few, I have resisted. I, for one would hate to erase history.  Why try to make a 30 year old gun look like a 1 year old gun?  As it is now, it's one of a kind. You shine it up and it will look like every other new safe queen Colt Commander.
Just my $.02. 

Disclaimer: This may be a mute point because I don't have the firearm in hand, but it may become mine this weekend.  The gun belonged to my father-in-law who carried it as a LEO for a Nebraska town/city until the department went with a standard issued firearm.  The gun is currently in my brother-in-law's possession, but he called the other night and said he wanted me to have it.  He said that he is not that into handguns but wants to keep it n the family to be passed down.

The Reason for the Question: It is not so much that I want it refinished, but my brother-in-law was saying he thought it should be refinished.  If he is giving me such a beautiful gun and making a suggestion, I figured it might be worth while to follow his direction so that he keeps the warm and fuzzy feeling about his decision to give it to me.  I figure this is a small price to pay for what I am getting.

My brother-in-law probably won't care too much.  He just said that he thought that is what I should do.  I'm amazed he is even considering giving it to me in light of it's history with his father, but I am honored he would find me worthy of it since I'm not even blood.  Though my son is his blood and my brother-in-law knows that I would pass it on to him.  I have already talked to my son about how I will come back from the dead if he ever sells any of our family heirlooms.  ;D

Fly
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:57:51 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 08:47:21 AM »
With that kind of history, I wouldn't touch it....   Some suggestions...it might be nice to write some documentation on it as well (I will assume your father in law is passed) for your son and future generations.  Furthermore, I'd pay Colt a "Benjamin" to find out where it was shipped as well and have that letter with it as well.  Nostalgia at its best.....