< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Open carry question  (Read 1622 times)

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
Open carry question
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:02:36 AM »
Hello all,

So I wanted to ask you all about open carry.  When my son and I go out camping, as long as I am right nex to him &within supervision range, can he legally open carry?

A few factors:
We will be near Verdel NE Population less than 50 (no city bans, etc)
The actual property is private but we will drive on public highways to get there
my son is 16

Thanks!
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline jayfury007

• Forum Member
Re: Open carry question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 05:05:47 PM »
Can a person OC in Sarpy country  condition 1
I've been looking on line about it and have not found anything on it
If anyone can point my in the right direction  plz and ty

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »
POSSESSION

No state permit is required to possess a rifle or shotgun.

It is unlawful for any person who has been convicted of a felony or who is a fugitive from justice to possess any firearm.  It is unlawful for any person under 18 to possess a handgun or any other form of short-barreled hand firearm. Exempt from this prohibition are members of the armed forces and persons temporarily loaned such firearms for instruction under the immediate supervision of a parent or guardian or adult instructor

Mongo...you may be OK to allow your son to open carry with supervision in the campsite area, but I think you will be in trouble if stopped on the public roads, and a minor under 18 is found transporting a handgun on his person. In either case I would weigh the practical educational gains for your son versus the possible outcomes should you all encounter a less than sympathetic LEO or more likely a Game and Parks employee.   Just my opinion, let him OC in camp and stow it on the road
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 06:11:01 PM »
Jayfury007, Nebraska does not have any definition on the books for a loaded handgun, so the answer to your question would probably be best asked of the Sarpy County attorney or maybe Bill Kintner, who is an NFOA member and Dist 2 state senator in Sarpy County
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline jayfury007

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 10:49:10 AM »
Ty Dan W