< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 1970 Colt Commander Gunsmith  (Read 5168 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
1970 Colt Commander Gunsmith
« on: May 29, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »
My son and I went out to shoot a Colt Commander that was passed down to me.  We shot about five magazines.  On the last round of the last magazine, I was looking down the slide and the front sight was gone.  We looked all over, but could not find it. 

We had a few other problems that I would like to see addressed. 
Two times we had something similar to a stovepipe, but the spent case was in the ejection port turned 180 degrees.  I have read about "Limp Wristing" guns and how it can cause issues with the gun cycling, but I'm not sure if that is a myth or was the cause in our case. 

Another issue was that the cases were being thrown in several directions.  Sometimes behind, sometimes to the side, an sometimes in my son's face.  I've heard that the 1911s do this sometime, but can this be solved? 

Sooooo, I need to find a gunsmith to fix these problems.  I called Colt who I would like to have do the work, but the gun is not under warranty and I'm not sure how reasonable they would be on repair costs.  I would also have to overnight the gun to them via FedEx or UPS which would add to the cost.

Are there any local 1911 gunsmith gurus around Lincoln?

Thanks,
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: 1970 Colt Commander Gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »
Cylinder and Slide in Freemont specializes in 1911's. They are easily one of the top five smiths in the nation but be prepaired to wait. If you call tomorrow you might get it in in ten months or so.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »
+1 on C&S who advertises 60-90 day turn around times now.  I'd recommend a drive up to Fremont and visit with them.  They're great folks and it is an experience just to go up there. 
 Mike Schlereth in Lincoln just rebuilt a 1911 for me, but.......it took about a year, and he is not taking any new business for a couple of months due to backlog/demand. 
With regards to ejection issues....  "Tuning" the extractor can help.  Probably need a new one.

"Limp Wristing" is a true phenomenon, which more commonly results in the pistol not returning to battery, and not very common in 1911s and personally I have never  heard of or seen it happening with a 1911.

How old are the magazines?   If they are original/old I am betting that is the better part of your "stovepipe" issue.  I can assure you the spring(s) are set.  Invest in some new ones regardless.  I am partial to Chip McCormick and Wilson. 
Finally, being new to the 1911, I'd recommend you purchase "The Colt .45 Automatic: A Shop Manual" by Jerry Kuhnhausen.  Just need volume 1.  It is the "Bible" of the 1911 and very good reading, pictures, maintenance tips, etc. Check Amazon.com
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:59:12 PM by bullit »

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »
Try a new magazine and replace the recoil spring. I would lean towards the recoil spring being the main problem...and a cheap fix.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. 

Fly

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 08:42:50 PM »
Yep, new springs all around. Try Wilson Combat or Wolf. I like Wilson Combat mags too. Real slick.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 06:43:39 AM »
Yes fly....I forgot to include in my thoughts  new recoil spring. As SS_N_NE mentions this is likely a problem if not the problem.   + 1 on the Wolf Springs. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 08:59:12 AM »
Yes fly....I forgot to include in my thoughts  new recoil spring. As SS_N_NE mentions this is likely a problem if not the problem.   + 1 on the Wolf Springs. 

I forgot to mention another issue that we had which I think was related to the stovepipe.  A few times there was a spent case partially extracted from the chamber with a fresh round wedged up behind the empty case and the slide nearly full back position.

Due to the stovepipes and the issue described above, I was leaning towards an extractor issue.

Fly

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »
Extractor issue e.g. stovepipes....not really.  The slide timing is likely off which is a fancy way of saying the recoil spring is probably the source.  ALL THAT BEING SAID......as all of us "experts" appear to say, I think new innards are called for if you want a reliable gun.  Be prepared to spend about $300-400, but I know you'll be glad you did. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »
Extractor issue e.g. stovepipes....not really.  The slide timing is likely off which is a fancy way of saying the recoil spring is probably the source.  ALL THAT BEING SAID......as all of us "experts" appear to say, I think new innards are called for if you want a reliable gun.  Be prepared to spend about $300-400, but I know you'll be glad you did. 

I'm going to start with new magazines and a recoil spring.  If that doesn't work, then I will go the more expensive route.  Does that sound reasonable?

Also, the Wolf 1911 magazines are pretty reasonably priced.  Any opinions on their magazines?

Thanks for your help.
Fly

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 12:35:01 PM »
Mags are good, but again for long term, would recommend the aforementioned.  Brownells is the best source and single price shipping.  IN FACT...call 1 800 741 0015.  Ask for one of their gun techs.  Discuss with them what is going on and their recommendations.  The call is FREE, these guys are all VERY knowledgable and friendly, and will take all the time you need to help you out.  I should've recommended this route sooner. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »
Mags are good, but again for long term, would recommend the aforementioned.  Brownells is the best source and single price shipping.  IN FACT...call 1 800 741 0015.  Ask for one of their gun techs.  Discuss with them what is going on and their recommendations.  The call is FREE, these guys are all VERY knowledgable and friendly, and will take all the time you need to help you out.  I should've recommended this route sooner. 

Awesome!  Thanks again.

Fly

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »
Depending on what you want for a front sight they can also hook you up with a new front site and staking tool (the tool is cheap) and there are online instructions for intalling the site.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 07:32:40 PM »
Depending on what you want for a front sight they can also hook you up with a new front site and staking tool (the tool is cheap) and there are online instructions for intalling the site.

Hmmmm...You just HAD to tempt the McGyver in me.  Dang it!  I had convinced myself that I needed to have a professional do it, but now you have me contemplating it.

I'm becoming a bKoenig junior.  Just not as good.   ;D

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 07:26:51 PM »
My mother always said I was never a child, but a small adult with LOTS of questions.   Soooo, here is another one.

Been looking at Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat magazines, but I can't seem to find any that say they are for a Commander style 1911.  I know...I am showing how much of a 1911 virgin I am.  I thought that the only difference between a Commander and a full size 1911 is the barrel/slide length.  Is that correct?  If so, then any full size magazine should work...right?

Fly

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 07:42:08 PM »
Yep.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »
Yep, new springs all around. Try Wilson Combat or Wolf. I like Wilson Combat mags too. Real slick.

When you said "new springs all around", besides the recoil spring, what else should I get that I can replace myself?

Thanks,
Fly

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 08:08:19 PM »
Check this link out.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/COLT/COMMANDER%20SERIES%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID2

You can buy them all for 20 bucks and there are none a person of average mechanical skill can't install. Any that you don't use just keep for spares. They're practically free.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »
Looking at the Wilson Combat magazines, what is the difference between the the 47D and 47DE?

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-47D-1911-Magazine-45-ACP-Full-Size-8-Round-Standard-Base-Pad/productinfo/47D/

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Magazine-45-ACP-Full-Size-8-Round-Extended-Base-Pad/productinfo/47DE/

Seems to be the same except for a thicker base pad.  What is the purpose of that?  Their website does not give a good explanation.

Fly