< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New to forum and reloading  (Read 1325 times)

Offline carbon01

• Forum Member
New to forum and reloading
« on: May 31, 2012, 03:01:49 PM »
Hello all, I am new to the forum (been here lurking a couple of times) and new to reloading. I loaded up my first 50 rounds of 9mm (haven't shot them yet) and I noticed that the bullets seem to be seated slightly crooked. What could be causing this? This is the first time I have reloaded so I don't have any experience at all.

I was also hoping someone would be willing to teach me a little bit about the "feel" and set up. I am using RCBS components and the instructions are not really all that helpful. I was sort of hoping someone who take time out of their busy schedules to teach me a little bit about reloading on my own press so I can better understand it. I am located in midtown Omaha (42nd and centerish) and am only doing 9mm and 38 special right now, but I will be adding much more calibers once I get sufficient brass and the dies. If anyone is interested you could give me a PM (this site should have those) and I could message you back. If anyone is interested this weekend I am out of town so it would have to be Monday or later.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: New to forum and reloading
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »
Mismatched seater plug to bullet tip will cause crooked bullets ( did it my self)

And Welcome!
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline carbon01

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »
I used the round nose seater plug for my round nose bullets.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:53:55 PM »
Cases belled sufficiently/ too much?

Don't know if that is your problem, just speaking from experience.

I would love to help you out, and am in Omaha frequently.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:52:46 PM »
You are right up the street from me(42nd and L). If you would like, I will be happy to show you some pointers.
What press are you using and what dies? I would agree with JimP. Sounds like you need to increase the flare.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 08:15:41 PM »
Can we see a close up picture of a crooked cartridge?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 08:05:43 AM »
Yes yes, pics and pointers please. I am in the market to start loading mine own, too. (Driving to Kansas and my brother finding time between matches is getting tough to get anything done. )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline carbon01

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
I am using RCBS Rock chucker press and RCBS carbide dies. The instructions says to flare the mouth just enough for the bullet to sit in the case, so I am not sure what too much or too little belling would "look" like. I cannot get pictures up before I have to leave for the weekend. To the 42nd and L guy (sorry forgot your name already) I can message you when I get back next week and we can work something out.