< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: FoxPro Wildfire E-caller  (Read 2348 times)

Offline bigmountainskiercfg

• Forum Member
FoxPro Wildfire E-caller
« on: June 03, 2012, 05:29:56 PM »
What are some of the sounds that you guys find to be the most useful in calling in coyotes, crows, and racoons?  Thanks in advance

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: FoxPro Wildfire E-caller
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »
i'd sure like to know what others do as well.  but, i have used youtube and trapperman.com for most of that info.  im really looking forward to using my 22LR SBR on raccoons this fall... too bad i don't have a suppressor for it (yet).

for coons, i hear a raccoon distress call with a decoy is really good.  of course call and decoy placed on opposite side of the tree which their den is located.  i've seen plenty of those videos on youtube.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 06:32:26 PM »
Stand by, I'm waiting for my brother in law to get back to me on this one.

He does some demonstrations and seminars on predator calling for Cabela's, and puts on an annual coyote calling comp in Broken Bow. I've gone out with him a couple times and he definetly has some skill.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 03:08:18 PM »
As basic as possible, rabbit or jackrabbit. Use coyote to bring in the shy ones, AKA the ones that have been shot at before. Rabbit is generally preferred, but jackrabbit can bring in good results as well.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 03:55:58 PM »
As basic as possible, rabbit or jackrabbit. Use coyote to bring in the shy ones, AKA the ones that have been shot at before. Rabbit is generally preferred, but jackrabbit can bring in good results as well.

i have seen several videos (but no firsthand experience) that a dying rabbit sound is best, maybe a mouse squeak for up close quarters.  after a shot is fired a coyote yip is best to draw in other coyotes who think their friend needs help.  i hope to video shoot my hunts this year... last year didn't pan out so good.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 04:14:57 PM »
Ha! I'm a computer guy and FoxPro is an old brand of database software. I expected something totally different when I opened this thread.  ;D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 10:17:01 PM »
FWIW.........

A Crit-R-Call [any of the three sizes], 1 million candlepower portable light, and a scoped Marlin .22Mag have worked very well for me.

Sit down after dark in an area where you have a decent line of sight, say.....
>river bank,
>swampy area,
>small lake, whatever.

Give a few calls and wait a bit.    Shine light.   Pick up those Glowing Eyes.    And just toot It the rest of the way in.

Hardest part is holding both the light and the rifle.    Works well w/two guys--Shiner and Shooter-- if both are reasonably quiet and refrain from chatter.

Lots easier than chasing them all over the country with Walkers and Redbones.    Not nearly so musical, however.

Just about any varmint distress call will work.    Even a coon-fight recording.   

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer