< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Former Police Chief Stacey wants gun charge dismissed  (Read 2267 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Former Police Chief Stacey wants gun charge dismissed
« on: June 06, 2012, 07:47:36 PM »
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120606/NEWS97/120609919#stacey-wants-gun-charge-dismissed

Stacey, 56, made his first appearance Wednesday in connection with a charge that he provided a handgun several months ago to former Gretna City Administrator Colleen Lawry.

Both Stacey and Lawry were charged in May with a Class I misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail and up to a $1,000 fine, if convicted.

Stacey has acknowledged the gun was his and said he had loaned it to Lawry.

Stacey's attorney, James Martin Davis, submitted a motion to dismiss the charge, arguing that the state law is unconstitutional and substantially infringes on his right to bear arms, which is guaranteed by the Second Amendment and by the Nebraska Constitution.

“You cannot really restrict someone's right to lend or borrow a firearm,” Davis said afterward. “We think the state statute is clearly unconstitutional, and we think the court should find the statute void. We have a pretty good Second Amendment argument.”

~~ See more at link ~~

Very interesting developments....  not sure where I come down on this constitutionality issue
The purchase certificate is handy at times for some "piece of mind" when selling firearms and for expediency when purchasing from a FFL, but I also feel we shouldn't have to have one.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Former Police Chief Stacey wants gun charge dismissed
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 07:54:11 PM »
There is a whole lot of me that would like to see Stacey win on the Constitutional argument, his personal character not withstanding......

Offline johncavh

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 08:00:08 PM »
I would think a police Chief should know, if this is right or wrong, if not maybe he should not have been in that position. And why did he lend or give the weapon to the person in the first place ???

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:14:30 PM »
My thought is would he have arrested one of us for this violation and sent the case for prosecution to the county?  Personally, I believe he would have and not given the constitutional questions a seconds thought.  Not one second. 

I hope this case gets heard again and again in courts of ascending authority.  I have no dog in this fight, so I dont care if he wins or looses, but feel the process of a case like this is of great importance.  He is a citizen now, not a police chief.  He should be treated as one, and not one ounce differently. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »
Very interesting developments....  not sure where I come down on this constitutionality issue. 
The purchase certificate is handy at times for some "piece of mind" when selling firearms and for expediency when purchasing from a FFL, but I also feel we shouldn't have to have one.

I second that emotion, Rick. 
I also feel as the others do that his having been a police chief shoud have no positive bearing on the case. His peepee should be smacked harder because of that fact.
I hope JMD knows what he's doing. He does a pretty good job at stirring the pot.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:55:46 PM »
James Martin Davis = Guaranteed Acquittal

When he walks up the courthouse steps, the whole building shakes.

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:47:57 AM »
I'd just like to know when it became illegal to lend a handgun to someone. Assuming they are not a felon or otherwise restricted that is. I'm not sticking up for his character - personally I think he is a putz - but I don't see how they can charge him with anything, let alone make it stick.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 07:15:04 AM »
Well, it looks like 1991.

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=s6924003000

69-2403. Sale, lease, rental, and transfer; certificate required; exceptions.

(1) Except as provided in this section and section 69-2409, a person shall not purchase, lease, rent, or receive transfer of a handgun until he or she has obtained a certificate in accordance with section 69-2404. Except as provided in this section and section 69-2409, a person shall not sell, lease, rent, or transfer a handgun to a person who has not obtained a certificate.

(2) The certificate shall not be required if:

(a) The person acquiring the handgun is a licensed firearms dealer under federal law;

(b) The handgun is an antique handgun;

(c) The person acquiring the handgun is authorized to do so on behalf of a law enforcement agency;

(d) The transfer is a temporary transfer of a handgun and the transferee remains (i) in the line of sight of the transferor or (ii) within the premises of an established shooting facility;

(e) The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent;

(f) The person acquiring the handgun is a holder of a valid permit under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act; or

(g) The person acquiring the handgun is a peace officer as defined in section 69-2429.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:49:34 AM »
(e) The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent

Could "spouse" possibly be extended to include "mistress"?  :D

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:04:19 PM »
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120606/NEWS97/120609919#stacey-wants-gun-charge-dismissed
Stacey's attorney, James Martin Davis, submitted a motion to dismiss the charge, arguing that the state law is unconstitutional and substantially infringes on his right to bear arms, which is guaranteed by the Second Amendment and by the Nebraska Constitution.

“You cannot really restrict someone's right to lend or borrow a firearm,” Davis said afterward. “We think the state statute is clearly unconstitutional, and we think the court should find the statute void. We have a pretty good Second Amendment argument.”

Halleluja! There may still be hope for Nebraska. Here we go folks, the person with deep pockets to challenge the constitutionality of the purchase permit who we have been looking for all along has been found in former Chief Stacey :)

This really is a best case scenario. Now lets just hope he prevails in court and the purchase permit statute is ultimately struck down by the Nebraska Supreme Court. Hopefully Heineman's Supreme Court appointments will pay off in this regard.
I heard this case will go before the federal judge in Douglas County District Court as Sarpy Judges were determined to have too many ties with Stacey. I guess it could go either way.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:06:59 PM by DanClrk51 »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
First things first:

He is a citizen now, not a police chief.  He should be treated as one, and not one ounce differently. 

I was unaware that police chiefs were not citizens, and should be treated differently than a citizen.

Substitute "Subject" for citizen and "Lord" for police chief, and it would make sense in Medieval England .....

He was a citizen when he was the Chief of Police of Bellevue, Nebraska, too ..... if anything, he should be held to a higher standard of conduct than someone without Police Powers: Not only should he have known better, expecting to get away with it simply because of the position he holds is explicit evidence of an "Only Ones" mentality.  I also wonder how many folks he had locked up on this same charge........

I would like to remind all of you that wish to get rid of the handgun firearm purchase permit that your buddy Brad Ashford was going to do that for you, in exchange for a permanent unelected panel to determine what guns were "too dangerous for civilian ownership" ..... that was just a couple of years ago now .........

I like the idea of the Purchase Permit being voluntary ..... but would like to see it as picture ID, instead of and easily forged scrap of paper.......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 03:49:36 AM »
First things first:
I like the idea of the Purchase Permit being voluntary ..... but would like to see it as picture ID, instead of and easily forged scrap of paper.......

I'm ok with that since that would not infringe on the 2nd Amendment...it being voluntary.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 04:24:43 AM »
Halleluja! There may still be hope for Nebraska. Here we go folks, the person with deep pockets to challenge the constitutionality of the purchase permit who we have been looking for all along has been found in former Chief Stacey :)

This really is a best case scenario. Now lets just hope he prevails in court and the purchase permit statute is ultimately struck down by the Nebraska Supreme Court. Hopefully Heineman's Supreme Court appointments will pay off in this regard.
I heard this case will go before the federal judge in Douglas County District Court as Sarpy Judges were determined to have too many ties with Stacey. I guess it could go either way.

Say it does get struck down, then doesn't that put us in the pickle of the Brady Bill mandatory wait period? Which would suck more?

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 06:54:33 AM »
I don't know that there is a federal waiting period anymore.  I could be wrong though.  I've never purchased a handgun without the certificate or my CHP.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 10:38:02 AM »
Once the NICS system got up and running they dropped the federal wait period, some states still have a "Cooling Off" period on a transfer but there is nothing in Nebraska law about that.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 04:28:49 PM »
Once the NICS system got up and running they dropped the federal wait period, some states still have a "Cooling Off" period on a transfer but there is nothing in Nebraska law about that.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 06:48:49 PM »
There is nothing instant about the instant check system. There is busy phone lines, talk to first level, get reference number, talk to second level, then proceed, delay, deny.  Delay can be up to three days, so that's pretty instant.  Plus the fact that every time you buy a gun you are placing a phone call to the government telling them what type of guns long/handgun/other you are buying what day, and where you are buying the gun.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »
For anyone interested this case is being carefully observed due to the fact it could have implications beyond Nebraska

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 08:29:47 PM »
To quote Jim P:

"He was a citizen when he was the Chief of Police of Bellevue, Nebraska, too ..... if anything, he should be held to a higher standard of conduct than someone without Police Powers: Not only should he have known better, expecting to get away with it simply because of the position he holds is explicit evidence of an "Only Ones" mentality.  I also wonder how many folks he had locked up on this same charge........"

This is a classic case of someone in power who believes they are above the law.  I believe that he out of all people should know the law completely as he was former "Chief" of police.

As a civilian and gun-owner, I study and research NE laws constantly so that I can be aware of them.

To me, this is just a way to challenge his charge and also act above the law.  If that gun permit ends up being deemed unconstitutional in court.... I WANT A REFUND!!!!

-my 2 cents

"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story