< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: a good air gun for my son.  (Read 1625 times)

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
a good air gun for my son.
« on: June 15, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »
so i have been looking and reading mixed reviews of so many different pellet guns. i want a rifle mostly prefered semi auto and prefer pellets but accurate bb's would be ok too. it is mostly for my son but the lady of the house wants to learn as well since her only experiences with firearms has been bad. and i miss plinking in the back yard aswell. i was looking at the crosman 1077 that i had when i was younger but the reviews of it are so mixed now i am not sure.

any ideas or suggestions

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: a good air gun for my son.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:54:34 PM »
If you want to spend a little money and get something nice the CMP has some really neat ones at a good discount.  We have a few of the Daisy 888's at the Lincoln Ike's range for youth shooting and they are a sweet little gun.  Kind of a heavy trigger, but really good sights and quite accurate.  They're a single shot, but run off a precharged refillable CO2 cartridge so they don't need much strength to cock them.

http://odcmp.com/Sales/airrifles.htm

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »
thanks i will look into those, i am not looking to spend to much as he is turning 3 on the 28th and it is mostly for me and him to train in safety and for him to see cans fall over. i also was notified that she wants to practice with handguns since she is also interested in ccw after she becomes more familiar with firearms. so if anyone knows a good air pistol as well. maybe something that resembles a m9/92fs, sig p226, 1911, or something like that. anyone have experience with the hk, beretta, sig, licensed bb guns they have out? i thought that would be nice since they function as normal firearms do for practicing for the both of them.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 02:49:25 PM »
thanks i will look into those, i am not looking to spend to much as he is turning 3 on the 28th and it is mostly for me and him to train in safety and for him to see cans fall over. i also was notified that she wants to practice with handguns since she is also interested in ccw after she becomes more familiar with firearms. so if anyone knows a good air pistol as well. maybe something that resembles a m9/92fs, sig p226, 1911, or something like that. anyone have experience with the hk, beretta, sig, licensed bb guns they have out? i thought that would be nice since they function as normal firearms do for practicing for the both of them.

I bought an Umarex CP99 BB gun with the Blowback feature. It's run by CO2 and resembles a Walther P99. The mag drops out and the slide racks just like the real thing. It's a ton of fun. I was going to go with the pellet gun that takes the round / rotary clips, but I wanted the kiddos to get used to the how the real thing functions. So far (only 4 CO2 cartridges later), I'm super happy with it. It's a great, close range, put-a-hole-in-a-can, practice pistol.