< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AR build questions......  (Read 2706 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
AR build questions......
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:02:39 PM »
Do I need any special tools (torque wrench?) to put this together?

I saw a video of a kid who looked about 15 putting one toegether with nothing but a pair of vice-grips, a flat screwdriver, and a punch ....... I seem to recall that some stuff needs to be torqued to specs.....

What are the specs, and who is having a build party for the noob this weekend?

Also, I need a lead on where I can find poodles in quantity, as I'll have a gun just for them!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: AR build questions......
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 11:09:50 PM »
..... also, I need an a-3 carry handle/rear sight ..... anybody got one they don't need terribly badly?  I'd make an offer but am not sure what they cost new..... see? Noob.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 11:14:26 PM »
i built two AR's.  the special tools, BK had and helped me finish them up.  you'll need to torque the barrel and barrel nut assembly and the stock nut.  i think they came out ok.  i think the torque is around 35lbs, but don't quote me on that.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:17:40 PM »
Do you have a complete upper, or do you need to assemble barrel, handguards, etc?  I have not done that, but I do believe you would likely need a wrench (possibly an AR-15 multi-tool) to tighten the barrel nut and attach handguards.

Or are you just assembling the LPK in a stripped lower, and installing the buttstock?  If you are installing a buttstock, you will need a specialty wrench.  I believe the AR-15 multi-tool would work for that too.  I just went to a fellow gun nut friend's house and borrowed it for a few minutes.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
If you're just building the lower, you don't need anything special.  If you're also assembling the upper, you'll potentially need some specialized tools.

I have a carry handle/sight for a flat top that's just sitting in a bin.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 12:35:49 PM »
If you're just building the lower, you don't need anything special.  If you're also assembling the upper, you'll potentially need some specialized tools.

I admit it has been a while since I put together my lower, and I have only done one, but I swear I had to use a specialty wrench for the nut that secures the buttstock.  Did I imagine this?

Fly

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »
I admit it has been a while since I put together my lower, and I have only done one, but I swear I had to use a specialty wrench for the nut that secures the buttstock.  Did I imagine this?

Fly

It can be done without the specialty wrench but the wrench is nice to have.  Usually, they're pretty cheap too.  I'm sure several of us have them and wouldn't mind loaning to another member.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »
It can be done without the specialty wrench but the wrench is nice to have.  Usually, they're pretty cheap too.  I'm sure several of us have them and wouldn't mind loaning to another member.

Ok...so I have not gone COMPLETELY insane.  ;D

Fly

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 04:01:48 PM »

How much to convince it that it would be more useful atop my PSA (assuming the Brown Truck of Happiness shows up and the driver rings the doorbell this time..... darned brown-clad ninjas!)?

The upper is already barreled, but the castle nut on the lower looks like it needs a special spanner of some sort.....

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »
How much to convince it that it would be more useful atop my PSA (assuming the Brown Truck of Happiness shows up and the driver rings the doorbell this time..... darned brown-clad ninjas!)?

The upper is already barreled, but the castle nut on the lower looks like it needs a special spanner of some sort.....

How about $20 for the carry handle?

You can tighten the castle nut on the lower with a pair of slip joint pliers.  I've used a rag to keep the jaws from chewing up the nut or you can use the special "spanner".

Are you in Omaha?

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »

How about $20 for the carry handle?

You can tighten the castle nut on the lower with a pair of slip joint pliers.  I've used a rag to keep the jaws from chewing up the nut or you can use the special "spanner".

Are you in Omaha?

$20 and a 6 pack, did you say? Sold!

I'm south of Omaha a bit, but the A3 carry handle/rear sights at Brownell's are like 75 bucks, IIRC..... I can make that drive...... maybe Saturday I'll find some time......  where are you at?

I also need a bit of blue locktite.... other than torquing/locktiting that castle nut, and adding a rear sight ...... I just need some P-Mags, a sling, dies, bullets, work up a load...... oh, and now I'll have to stock small rifle primers, too ......