< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: where to hunt?  (Read 2777 times)

Offline jlmomaha

• NFOA Full Member
where to hunt?
« on: July 07, 2012, 11:49:13 PM »
i hope this is the right place for this. My mom is begging me to hunt so i can get her some meat shes on hard times and could use it, Ive also been fishing for her and getting her groceries. Ive been shooting since i was 8, I get out often to target practice and took hunters ed back in highschool, but with all that I have never hunted deer. I would greatly appreciate any advice as to where to hunt and perhaps how difficult it is to get the deer stamps. Thanks for any help guys it is greatly appreciated!!

Offline jlmomaha

• NFOA Full Member
Re: where to hunt?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 11:51:22 PM »
lol. guess i should mention how old I am now considering i said how old i was when i started, I am 32, when the kids get older and the wife permits I hope to teach them how to handle a firearm. best moments of my life.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:36:44 AM »
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/ is a great place to start. All the hunting rules and regs are there as well as permit applications, hunting areas, permit types etc.
Saving money by deer hunting is very subjective. The first permit of the year will cost you $30 + $20 for a habitat stamp. Additional permits will cost you $30.  Your best bet would be to find a suitable "Season Choice" area close to you that has a bonus antlerless tag so you can get 2 deer for one permit fee. And if you don't process your own deer you will likely end up spending more per pound of venison than you will spend for certain cuts of beef and for sure more than turkey and chicken when on sale.

As for where to hunt - There are plenty of public lands but IMO very few deer on them, especially during firearm season. The deer know what is going on and head for private / posted land once the shooting starts.  Not to say that they are void of deer - just low success rates. Look for Nebraska CRP land (google is your friend) that you can hunt. You can always go ask people if you can hunt their land but be prepared to get turned away a lot.  It seems to be easier to get landowner permission to bow hunt versus rifle hunting these days.

Hope that helps you some.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »
Yeah as 00BUCK said the ngpc website is a wonderful place. That is where I take care of all my tags and find places to hunt/fish. There are river antlerless tags this year where within so much area of major rivers they allow hunting during October with a firearm, I believe it is $11 per tag and it should be good for 2 deer. However, they do not allow public lands to be used for this tag, I don't understand why they would limit hunters with this...

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 12:17:43 PM »
Another consideration as far as the economics of deer hunting is the cost of processing.  Paying a meat market is expensive and there is no guarantee that you will get your own meat back, IME.

Doing it yourself is a daunting task for someone who has never cut meat before.  I can help you out, if I have time and you are not too far from Omaha.

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 02:06:34 PM »
Hello!  I started deer hunting a few years ago.  Tags are not that expensive & easy to purchase.  I actually did the old fashioned going to knock on doors & meeting people to find land to hunt on.  I actually was blessed and met a friend who helped me learned the ins & outs.  I'd be glad to share with you what I have learned thus far.

Good luck!!!
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:44:19 PM »
There are river antlerless tags this year where within so much area of major rivers they allow hunting during October with a firearm,

Unless you have access to a walk-in cooler, butchering in October can be dicey- temps are often pretty high yet...... bacteria grows pretty fast above 40 degrees.

December muzzle-loader hunting is great in that it is colder, the season is much longer, and there are almost no other hunters out...... though there is that issue of learning to use a frontstuffer, with all it's limitations. 

January's Antlerless Only season is great, so long as you don't get a cold snap that freezes a hanging deer solid- had that happen once!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 11:18:45 AM »
Finding land to hunt on is really tough, since pretty much all of the good deer land is private.  I'm lucky enough to have some family owned land that is prime deer country.  If I didn't have access to that I doubt I would be hunting at all.

Nebraska has deer predation pemits available for farmers who are suffering crop damage.  You might check on the Game & Parks site for that.  I seem to recall there was a program to hook up hunters with farmers. 

As others have said you really need to process your own in order to save money.  I used to but I got lazy.  Now, when I factor in gas, permits, and processing I spend more on deer than I would pay for beef.

Offline jlmomaha

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 11:21:19 AM »
thanks for the info guys it is appreciated, my mom grew up in rural texas and knows how to process it "so she says.lol" looks like im going to be doing some door knocking, i did some googling and searched the website im ashamed to admit that i am not in anyway internet savvy.lol.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 10:26:34 PM »
How much can one mom eat, one yard bunnie a day should feed her.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger