< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 9mm brass i found at the range What causes this?  (Read 3891 times)

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
9mm brass i found at the range What causes this?
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:13:03 PM »
I was walking around the local range, just doing a little brass recycling and stumbled across this. There was probably 20 or 30 cases that looked just like this. (hopefully the pics load correctly) The end of the case measures .4285. I do my own reloading mostly rifle and never had something like this happen and was just curious what has happened? Any Theory?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: 9mm brass i found at the range What causes this?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 10:59:14 PM »
Fired from the wrong caliber chamber...40 cal
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:13:26 PM »
Those G19s and G23s can be so confusing!  I mean, they look practically the same and the mags are interchangeable, right???
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 12:26:43 AM »
Those G19s and G23s can be so confusing!  I mean, they look practically the same and the mags are interchangeable, right???

Can't tell if this was sarcasm or not.... Just in case it wasn't, the mags aren't interchangeable with respect to putting a .40 into a 9mm mag, but they do fit into all the frames no problem.

I found some 300 win mag brass at the range one time that had some necks blown out and were rounded. The brilliant person was shooting 300 win mag out of a 300 weatherby  ???

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:00:04 AM »
Yep, shooting 9mm out of a .40 cal.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:38:42 AM »
Is the primer pierced too?
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »
Can't tell if this was sarcasm or not.... Just in case it wasn't, the mags aren't interchangeable with respect to putting a .40 into a 9mm mag, but they do fit into all the frames no problem.

Yeah, it was sarcasm.  ;)  I have a 23 and the wife has a 19.  When we're at the range, I have to be mindful of her loaded mags vs my loaded mags sitting on the shooting bench.  She doesn't have to worry though, since if she accidentally grabs my mag, it won't chamber for her.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened in the above pic - someone gassing up their 23 (or 22) with a mag for a 19 (or 17). 
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 10:08:34 AM »
Yeah several had pierced primers this is just one that happened to make it home with me. I just had to satisify my curiousity. Thanks for the info!

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:52:39 PM »
Looking at the primer dent it wasn't fired from a glock. Glocks have that linear look instead of the round punch.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 08:01:10 AM »
Good eye brad.  I didn't look very closely at the primer strike, just the swelled case.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 10:51:45 PM »
Looks like Mudinyeri was there :b
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.