< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New Indoor Range Coming to Lincoln  (Read 8783 times)

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
Re: New Indoor Range Coming to Lincoln
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2012, 10:19:34 AM »
"I don't understand how Lincoln can support two indoor ranges and Omaha only has one"

Lincoln can support two at this time as we've only had two for less than a month.  That being said, hope both can hang around a long time.   $50 transfer ???  Yikes.....

To be fair, that is for NON members, and they haven't posted the Member Pricing yet... But your reaction was the same as mine. 

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »
They just posted on facebook, no caliber over 5.56/.223.  Shotguns only when no one else on range, and no russian ammo.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2012, 10:41:34 AM »
They just posted on facebook, no caliber over 5.56/.223...

Interesting. That must have just changed.

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »
Interesting. That must have just changed.

I know they had an issue Tuesday night with AP Russian Ammo.  The sear and scrape marks are visible on lanes 2 and 3.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:24:59 AM by Neeco »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2012, 01:07:16 PM »
I know they had an issue Tuesday night with AP Russian Ammo.  The sear and scrape marks are visible on lanes 2 and 3.

Unfortunately, their post on Facebook says "Russian ammo...is often made with a steel core..."  which isn't remotely true.  And many people buy plenty of Wolf ammo for their AR and Ak variants, because it is cheap, plentiful, and perfectly accurate at most short distances.  (And doesn't have a steel core, though the thin bullet jacket IS magnetic.)

I can understand them not wanting steel-core ammo.  However, painting everything Russian as "steel-core" isn't a good solution. 

They also say "Russian ammo can also be bad on your modern firearms" --- modern Russian ammo is perfectly fine.  (Older foreign ammo is a different story---but that isn't limited to Russian ammo.)

I'm glad there is another indoor range opening up in Lincoln, and I wish that Omaha would do the same.  (And then some...)

That being said, with their hourly range fee level, plus gun prices, plus the way their commentary is worded above, I'm not particularly thrilled with them yet.

(The comment on Facebook about how a Governor is his favorite "hand cannon" didn't help, either.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »
Unfortunately, their post on Facebook says "Russian ammo...is often made with a steel core..."  which isn't remotely true.  And many people buy plenty of Wolf ammo for their AR and Ak variants, because it is cheap, plentiful, and perfectly accurate at most short distances.  (And doesn't have a steel core, though the thin bullet jacket IS magnetic.)

I can understand them not wanting steel-core ammo.  However, painting everything Russian as "steel-core" isn't a good solution. 

They also say "Russian ammo can also be bad on your modern firearms" --- modern Russian ammo is perfectly fine.  (Older foreign ammo is a different story---but that isn't limited to Russian ammo.)

I'm glad there is another indoor range opening up in Lincoln, and I wish that Omaha would do the same.  (And then some...)

That being said, with their hourly range fee level, plus gun prices, plus the way their commentary is worded above, I'm not particularly thrilled with them yet.

(The comment on Facebook about how a Governor is his favorite "hand cannon" didn't help, either.)

Not sure if you saw both posts or not, but the second post referred to the ammo ban based on Armor Piercing rounds...

Personally, it matters not to me as I have nothing larger than .22 right now! :pout:

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
Not sure if you saw both posts or not, but the second post referred to the ammo ban based on Armor Piercing rounds...

Personally, it matters not to me as I have nothing larger than .22 right now! :pout:

I saw both posts, and I understand that they can't have AP rounds hitting in their range---that doesn't, however, actually change the inaccuracy of what they said in their first post regarding Russian ammo.

I'm not sure how banning Russian ammo is going to fix their problem, actually----according to them, people are showing US-made ammo, but shooting the cheap AP stuff in the range area.  Banning all Russian ammo won't make any difference to that---it'll just annoy people who happen to have Russian ammo.  It wasn't as if the problem was that people were showing Russian ammo, then shooting AP stuff on the range...

AP stuff was already banned.  People were sneaking it in (according to their post) and shooting it.  So...how is banning all Russian ammo (most of which isn't AP) going to change that, I wonder?

I do certainly understand them wanting to make sure that no one shoots AP ammo in their range, though.

....so, since you have a .22, you are going to come out to ENGC and shoot the Steel Challenge match in January, right?  :)  We've got a .22 division...

Offline Supersparky

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2012, 07:05:34 PM »
They just posted on facebook, no caliber over 5.56/.223.

Yesterday all their paperwork said 308 and under.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2012, 06:49:31 AM »
Well when the man who signs the checks says on FB nothing over 5.56, i think that supercedes what they already had printed.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2012, 07:42:31 AM »

....so, since you have a .22, you are going to come out to ENGC and shoot the Steel Challenge match in January, right?  :)  We've got a .22 division...

Well...... I would be a poor competitor with my Little Mosquito and my wifes the better shot with the S&W AR-15 .22 so.... but I am looking to join ENGC.  I think I will most certainly come out and watch it.  I need to find a site that explains all the rules and a few vid's on HOW TO before I try competing. 

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2012, 10:13:07 AM »
It would be nice for another range to open up in the Omaha metro to give the Bullet Hole some competition.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
Well...... I would be a poor competitor with my Little Mosquito and my wifes the better shot with the S&W AR-15 .22 so.... but I am looking to join ENGC.  I think I will most certainly come out and watch it.  I need to find a site that explains all the rules and a few vid's on HOW TO before I try competing. 

Your mosquito would be perfectly fine---it is a pistol competition, not a rifle competition.  :)

As for rules and how-to, here is a link to a thread we had awhile back in the Shooting Sports section about Steel Challenge:

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,4766.msg34780.html#msg34780

Some other info:

http://hapkido.4t.com/Downloads/SteelChallengeComments.pdf

I note that you do NOT have to be a member of ENGC to shoot matches at ENGC.  And we always welcome spectators  (primarily because once you've seen it, you'll want to shoot it).  :)

We are working on making a "how-to" video on Steel Challenge.  Much of the video has been recorded---I just haven't had time to actually edit it and put it together in a coherent fashion. 

Offline jimneb

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2012, 12:14:52 PM »
I stopped by Big Shots this morning for a short range session. The facility is top notch and the best indoor I have ever had the pleasure to visit.

The target carriers are easy to use and the staff is friendly and very helpful. They have a nice selection of handguns in stock if you're shopping for something new.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2012, 12:30:56 AM »
I stopped by Big Shots this morning too.  Had a great experience.  Very friendly staff, phenomenal shooting area.  I'll certainly go back.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.