< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anti-gun Locations Listing iPhone & Android apps  (Read 2721 times)

Offline xwing

• Forum Member
Anti-gun Locations Listing iPhone & Android apps
« on: July 27, 2012, 10:42:31 PM »
I’ve co-written an iPhone app that I think might be relevant. This app is a crowd-sourced listing of anti-gun locations (stores, restaurants, etc…) accross the United States. Posted! - Carry List Anti-Gun Locations (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/posted!-carry-list-anti-gun/id530004581)

UPDATE:  Android Version now available:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ryan.posted

As with all of my apps, I based this on what I and others I spoke with thought would be really useful! I always found it annoying to make plans with friends to go to a restaurant, only to be turned away at the last second because of their “no guns” sign, or to drive all the way to a store, only to find out I could not enter to buy the item I needed. This app makes it very easy to find locations that prohibit carry (based on current location, city, or name), so you know before going to one And it makes it very easy to add such locations to the list (including picture, GPS, address, and description), so others will know where to avoid.

I have used the information from Nebraska Firearms Owners Association "Unfriendly Business List" for Nebraska. (I did this with permission and with attribution.)

The description is below. Please let me know what you think! I’m always looking for ways to make it better. BTW, it will also be available for Android in a few weeks.

App Description:
This application is for any gun owner! The purpose of this app is for the legal and conscientious concealed carry license holder to know where they cannot legally carry before getting there. A licensed permit holder or a resident of a constitutional carry state can usually legally carry their firearm in any location other than statutory "no carry" locations such as schools, gov. buildings, etc., and in locations that are posted prohibiting firearms. This is a list of those Posted locations.

Find hotels where you can’t carry before booking a trip to one. Find restaurants where you cannot carry before making dinner plans. Find stores to avoid before you step out the door. It is extremely inconvenient to not find out until you get to a location that they prohibit your second amendment rights. You have to either disarm in the parking lot (causing your vehicle to be a target for thieves) or go somewhere else at the last second. If you know beforehand, you can avoid the places that prohibit carry, or you can leave your firearm at home if you must attend.

This is Release 1.0 of the application. So far, we have a large number of "Posted anti-gun" locations collected in Wisconsin, Michigan, Kansas, Arizona, and Nebraska. We have assembled smaller lists in Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, and Washington; all provided by many great gun forums and sites with their permission. Since it is crowd-sourced by users like you, please be patient while the list grows! The initial Database doesn't have listings yet for other states. Be the first person in your state to grab data and add it to the app! You receive attribution for listing, and will receive special thanks for starting your state's listing!

This list is user-updated, and will continue to get better over time. But this relies on you! If you go to a place not on the list and they have a sign, please add it with a few clicks via the "Add Location" button! If a place had taken down their sign, get it removed the same way! If you already have a list of anti-gun businesses in your area or state, please send me an email. We would love to include any data you have collected, and give you credit for it!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:34:14 PM by xwing »

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Re: Anti-gun Locations Listing iPhone app
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 10:52:25 PM »
Me like

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »
Hmm, maybe I should be looking into getting an iPhone.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 11:33:50 PM »
really looking forward to the Android version!
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 08:30:47 AM »
Very nice.  I'll be interested to check out the Android version.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 08:51:12 AM »
This might be a good tool to use to encourage business owners to remove prohibitions against carry.  When you encounter a posted business, ask to see the owner or manager and show them the network that exists to warn legal permit holders their rights are not being respected. 

Playing devils' advocate, I wonder how many 'bad guys' will avail themselves of this app to target gun free zones...

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
really looking forward to the Android version!

+1
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 12:51:22 PM »
I'm another Android user.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 01:31:12 PM »
Xwing:

I reposted this to Snipershide.com, NSCC, and a few others. Everyone love it so far. I'll let you know of any other feedback.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »
Great contribution!  I've only ever purchased 2 apps since I began using smartphones a few years ago, this will make #3 when the android version comes out!

Offline xwing

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »
This might be a good tool to use to encourage business owners to remove prohibitions against carry.  When you encounter a posted business, ask to see the owner or manager and show them the network that exists to warn legal permit holders their rights are not being respected. 
I think that's a great idea.  You could even have the app open on the "add location" page, and let a business know you are about to add them to the list.  Once business owners realize that the signs do nothing to stop criminal, but do hurt their business, they are more likely to see the uselessness of such signs.

I reposted this to Snipershide.com, NSCC, and a few others. Everyone love it so far. I'll let you know of any other feedback.
Thanks!  The more people who update the list, the better it will be!

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »
Just bought it. Thanks
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »
An-droid!  An-droid!  An-droid!

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 06:12:22 PM »
An-droid!  An-droid!  An-droid!

What he said.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline xwing

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 07:13:40 AM »
Android version almost ready.

Any input or feedback on the iPhone version?

Offline xwing

• Forum Member
Re: Anti-gun Locations Listing iPhone & Android apps
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 01:35:51 PM »
Android version is now live!  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ryan.posted

Several people were asking for the Android version of this app. It shares the same Location DB, and has all the same features. (Any location updates or new locations from either app will go to the central DB and are included in both apps.)

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 05:11:36 PM »
Purchased.. thanks for working on this.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »
I purchased as well.  So far seems like a great app!

Offline xwing

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »
Note for anyone who tried to upload a location Sunday afternoon or Monday (yesterday) and say an error message.  Please try it again!

The webserver we used to interface with the main database went down on Sunday. I spent most of the day Sunday and all evening last night re-coding part of the webservice and porting it to a different server. I also changed the apps (both iPhone and Android) to point to the new server. I submitted the iPhone version to Apple last night and uploaded the Android version first thing this morning. I just received word that my emergency request for approval from Apple was granted, and the updated version of the iPhone app has now gone live. I also re-activated the backup plan, so the app will email me to input the location through a backend process if any submission attempt fails twice in a row. The corrected version is 1.2.1 for iPhone and 1.0.1 for Android.

Offline xwing

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »
There were a large number of updates and transformations made in the last 2 months.  Just curious if anyone has an opinion on the "newer" look and feel as well as functionality.