< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cheaper than Dirt? Some expensive dirt...  (Read 2197 times)

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
Cheaper than Dirt? Some expensive dirt...
« on: July 30, 2012, 05:18:31 PM »
Hey guys. Maybe I'm missing something here or I'm doing it wrong, but folks keep directing me to the Cheaper than Dirt website for various items. I go look and I find the item I want for a good price and I'm excited. Then I go to check out and they want me to pay $17 for shipping. Wait... What? I have to pay $17 to ship a $16 magazine for a Taurus PT-22? Really? So now they essentially want me to pay almost $40 for a magazine. And it's not just on this particular item. Everything I shop for has the same shipping price. Is there something I'm missing? How can I make CtD actually affordable?
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Cheaper than Dirt? Some expensive dirt...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »
I dislike cheaper than dirt.  Their shipping is always ridiculous, and they really tried to pull a fast one on me once.

I had bought around $150 or so of .223 that they had on sale, and even with their shipping prices it ended up being a great deal.  Several days later, they sent an email saying they were out of stock and were refunding my money.  I figured that was fine, some people probably beat me to the deal and ordered a lot.  After looking at their website, I found the EXACT same ammo at a higher price.  I sent them an email asking why they cancelled my order, lying to me about the fact that they didn't have it in stock, and the best excuse they could give me was that the ammo was at a different warehouse.  Basically, what they did was lure people in with the low price, pulled the deal after people had already paid, and then tried to resell the same ammo at a higher price...ridiculous.  The price difference ended up being only around $15 over what I paid.  They won't be getting my business anymore.

I also have the transcript of emails if anyone is interested, just to show how little they care about their customers or making acceptable business decisions (especially over a measly $15  ::) )

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
Another member turned me on to CDNN Investments. Watch their sales and Shipping specials.
Found some discontinued Marlin mags there for ALOT less than Ebay and shipping was a flat rate.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 07:09:32 PM »
I just generally keep an eye on:

http://gun-deals.com/index.php?page=1

and

http://www.slickguns.com/

Although I keep coming across good deals and destroying my gun budget.  I currently have 3 completely full ammo cans

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Another member turned me on to CDNN Investments. Watch their sales and Shipping specials.
Found some discontinued Marlin mags there for ALOT less than Ebay and shipping was a flat rate.

+1 Wish they had the Korean mags for 40 cal glocks still. Only have 31 rounders listed. If I ever need mags I use them.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 11:42:43 PM »
I have never found anything at the cheapest price on CTD.  Lots of other places selling the same stuff for better prices.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 07:29:11 AM »
I have never found anything at the cheapest price on CTD.  Lots of other places selling the same stuff for better prices.

Their price on Golden Saber ammo used to be unbeatable (including shipping).  CTD is like any other online retailer, they have to make money one way or another.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:55:12 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I definitely keep an eye on CDNN; they're a good spot. The others I'll look at today if work is slow. :)
CTD is now coming off my favorites list.
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:36:38 AM »
Sign up for CDNN's mailing list. I get great deals 2-3 times a week. Good stuff, now i just need a sugar momma...
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »
now i just need a sugar momma...

Don't we all.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »
now i just need a sugar momma...
Don't we all.

They are all on Back order..... :P

Sorry but your looking at a Min 50 year wait period till they are in stock again :o  8)
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"