< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Carry gun vs. Match gun  (Read 2296 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Carry gun vs. Match gun
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:27:13 PM »
I have been doing a little USPSA shooting using my carry gun, a Beretta PX4 in 9mm.  The PX4 has served the purpose, but I've been thinking about getting a gun strictly for matches.  Recently, I found a deal on a XDm 5.25 in 9mm.  It came along sooner than I planned to buy, but I didn't know when I would find such a good deal again.  Now that I have my match gun (with a newly installed Powder River Precision Ultimate Match Trigger kit), I am wondering if it would be wise to buy a smaller XDm to carry so that I am always using a familiar platform/style (XDm).

Lastly, should it be the same platform/style and caliber, just the same platform/style, or just stick with the PX4?  My thoughts are that if I have two significantly different guns, I should be taking both to the range periodically.  Considering cost concerns and time availability, that may be hard to do.  However, I am thinking that having two similar guns would mean that I could be proficient with both while shooting mostly just the competition model.  I know that there will still be differences (trigger, muzzle rise, etc.), but function wise (safety, slide & magazine release, etc.) practicing with one would mean I should be quite familiar with the other.  One thought was to get a Powder River Precision trigger for the carry gun, but possibly use the original trigger springs for a heavier trigger.  However, if the lighter match trigger under the stress of competition is not causing me to have NDs, then maybe the same trigger would be acceptable for a carry gun.

Ok...let me have your opinions.  I think some of you might have one or two of those.   ;D

Fly
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:51:08 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Carry gun vs. Match gun
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:30:19 AM »
I think you'd be fine with the ones you have.  Getting a smaller xdm would only help really as far as the trigger.  The  5.25 has significantly less felt recoil and muzzle jump than the smaller models.  I don't think your cost/benefit supports the cost vs gain in this case.  How do you like that powder river trigger...?  Nice, isn't it?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:35:38 AM »
I think you'd be fine with the ones you have.  Getting a smaller xdm would only help really as far as the trigger.  The  5.25 has significantly less felt recoil and muzzle jump than the smaller models.  I don't think your cost/benefit supports the cost vs gain in this case.  How do you like that powder river trigger...?  Nice, isn't it?

I should have mentioned that I was going to sell my PX4 if I got a second XDm for carry to help offset the cost.

Regarding the PRP trigger...Yes! VERY nice.

Fly

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
I would advise NOT have a non-factory trigger or altered trigger in your carry gun.  A wiley prosecutor could (and there cases in which it has occured ref. Mas Ayoob) where the "hair trigger" argument has been used against the defendant. 

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »
Reasons I bought a M&P compact.  I like my compact carry gun to be able to use the higher capacity magazine of the full size. I like that I can get away with the same carry rig as I do competition rig.

Not sure if the XDm shares it's longer magazine with compact, would not want either if it did not.

The Beretta PX4 was the right gun for my daughter but would not be the right gun for me.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:43:09 AM »
Reasons I bought a M&P compact.  I like my compact carry gun to be able to use the higher capacity magazine of the full size. I like that I can get away with the same carry rig as I do competition rig.

Similar thinking from me----my carry guns are a G17 in winter, a G19 in summer, and a G26 if I have to have something even smaller than a 19 for concealment purposes. 

They all feel the same, shoot the same, and if/when I carry a spare mag, I use a G17 full-capacity mag which works in all of them.

I note my competition G17 IS my carry gun.  Trigger group uses stock glock parts, and the only things on it that aren't Glock factory are the sights and the recoil spring.  (Finally changed that out to a 13-pound spring.) 

I also note that the Beretta PX4 is a perfectly good gun---but NOT for me. :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »
I would advise NOT have a non-factory trigger or altered trigger in your carry gun.  A wiley prosecutor could (and there cases in which it has occured ref. Mas Ayoob) where the "hair trigger" argument has been used against the defendant.
A prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney can use against you your choice of weapon, training and regular practice. If your own attorney is competent, the counter argument is that whatever makes you more effective in defending yourself reduces the risk of stray shots to innocent bystanders and reduces the amount of injury required to stop your assailant.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:22:47 PM »
Haven't you heard?  You're not supposed to compete.  It'll get ya kilt.

;D

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 10:25:52 PM »
Haven't you heard?  You're not supposed to compete.  It'll get ya kilt.

:o
..... ::)
............PBHPBPPPHBHBHBHBTTTTTT!   :P
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com