< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun in Theater in Ohio  (Read 1250 times)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Gun in Theater in Ohio
« on: August 07, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Police-Ohio-man-movie-goer-had-gun-for-protection-3768540.php

"COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A northeast Ohio man brought a gun, ammunition and several knives to a showing of the latest Batman movie because he wanted to protect himself in case someone tried to replicate last month's deadly Colorado theater shooting, his attorney said Tuesday.

Scott A. Smith, 37, had no intention of causing harm or inducing panic when he brought the weapons to a Saturday showing of "The Dark Knight Rises," said his attorney, Matthew Bruce.

"With the recent shooting in Colorado, and the other incidents around the country in regards to threats, he felt that he needed protection," Bruce said.

Smith brought the weapons to a Regal Cinemas theater in Westlake, just outside of Cleveland, and seated himself in the middle of the back row of the theater, a half hour before the movie started, police said.

A theater manager and an off-duty police officer working security stopped Smith after they became suspicious of a bag he was carrying, said Westlake Police Lt. Ray Arcuri.

"Why pick that movie? Why that theater? Why sit in the back all the way like that? Why bring the gun?" he said. "There's several unanswered questions."

Smith was arrested without incident and is currently jailed.

He was expected to be indicted on several weapons charges, but it's still too early to determine what those charges will be, said Nicole DiSanto of the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's office.

The officer said Smith consented to a search inside the theater. Arcuri said the officer was more familiar with the bag, and knew where to look when he found a loaded 9 mm Glock pistol with two extra loaded magazines, Arcuri said. The officer also found three knifes in the bag and another knife on Smith, he said. There were also medical supplies, but Arcuri would not elaborate on what they were.

When the officer asked Smith why he brought the weapons into the theater, Smith offered to put them in his car.

Police searched Smith's North Ridgeville home Monday night and found more weapons, including at least six pistols and several shotguns and rifles, and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Arcuri said Smith, who did not have a concealed carry permit, should not have brought any weapon to the theater.

"Our job is to protect the community," he said of police. "It's not his role. If there's a gun, it's because our officers brought it. It's not his job to bring the gun, it's ours.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Attorney-Ohio-movie-goer-had-gun-for-protection-3768540.php#ixzz22uAeSV3r

Lessons:
1. Do not carry concealed without a permit
2. NEVER consent to a search.
3. When you do carry, do so in such a way that it does not attract attention. Carrying a bag of "medical supplies" into a theater is not exactly normal behavior, and my theory is that this bag was some sort of assault style pack, camo or black, just judging from the rest of the content in the story.

Note: I would question the general competence, and perhaps intelligence, of any officer who believes he/she is capable of keeping the entire "community" safe, or who states that his job is "to carry a gun"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:25:16 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Gun in Theater in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 06:29:40 PM »
I went to The Dark Knight here in Lincoln on Sunday night with my wife and was legally carrying concealed.  Walked right past the officer standing behind the ticket counter and didn't have any issues.  He was looking pretty bored and besides brief eye contact and a smile, didn't seem to spend much time looking me over.  I tent to wear oddball t-shirts that wouldn't attract attention other than someone laughing and what they say.   

This guy's experience will become an example of what not to do in my next CHP class.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:19:19 AM »
Stupid is as stupid does. I went to the Dark Knight Rises during last week. I never go to movies on opening night and never midnight showings. I don't care for the crowds. I carried as well.

I think a lot of people assume theaters are posted but, at least the ones I go to in Omaha, are not.

Offline GunFun

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:53:51 AM »
It's definitely a tragedy when a shooting like the one in Colorado happens, but what's almost as bad to me is that it really gets the anti-gun people all riled up.

Are they ever going to realize that criminals will *always* carry and use guns no matter what the law says? They are criminals because they don't obey laws!!!

I think every supporter of "gun control" legislation should be required to watch every episode of "gangland" until they get it through their thick heads that we need to arm ourselves to protect ourselves and our families from criminals, because they aren't giving up their weapons, ever.

These guys kill with shivs made out of plastic spoons in prison!!!

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
I dont carry in theatres at all. And due to my medical experience, i know most places have a first aid kit that usually has a decent supply of gauze, bandages, and tape to at least stave off the more serious wounds.

But then again, most theatres in lincoln are posted, and I follow the law.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:04:17 PM »
But then again, most theatres in Lincoln are posted, and I follow the law.

How long has it been since you were at the theater? According to my recollection, the free-fire zone signs were taken down -- at the bequest of someone here at the NFOA, I thought... am I mistaken about this?

Now, I haven't been to a theater in over a year, so maybe my information is outdated.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:09:38 PM »
How long has it been since you were at the theater? According to my recollection, the free-fire zone signs were taken down -- at the bequest of someone here at the NFOA, I thought... am I mistaken about this?

Now, I haven't been to a theater in over a year, so maybe my information is outdated.

I have not been to a movie for quite some time, but Marcus Theaters in Lincoln took the signs down due to multiple comments from pro 2A folk, but mostly because of my eloquently written letter to them.   ::)

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »
The officer said Smith consented to a search inside the theater.  Arcuri said the officer was more familiar with the bag, and knew where to look when he found a loaded 9 mm Glock pistol with two extra loaded magazines, Arcuri said. The officer also found three knifes in the bag and another knife on Smith, he said. There were also medical supplies, but Arcuri would not elaborate on what they were.

The one thing I found upsetting about this story was that the implication is made that, due to number of firearms and size of his ammo cache, that he is up to no good.  I am not advocating what he did, and maybe it will come out that he did have some odd criminal plans for the theater, but what he possesses at home does not make him a criminal.  By this standard, most of us would be labeled as such.

This type of writing only emboldens the anti 2A crowd and makes those on the fence lean in that direction because they are unaware of what is common amongst us law abiding gun nuts.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 05:36:34 PM »

Marcus Theaters are not posted in Lincoln... I haven't been to a theater that IS posted in Lincoln, but I stick to the Grand downtown, Southpoint, and Edgewood
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 06:26:18 PM »
If there are any posted movie theaters in Lincoln I don't know about them, but there is one that sells booze, so it may be a 51% alcohol sales business

edit to add the Roth Theater is on campus, so it is a banned place
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »
Corrected i stand.  :)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 09:12:03 PM »

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 09:07:48 AM »
Ha, thats what i get for posting on 4 hours of sleep.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
The last article I read on this said he was on a prescription medication that prohibited him from owning firearms.

Not sure what that would be or if there is an Ohio law on drugs legally prescribed.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger