< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Draw cord caught in holster= OUCH!  (Read 4309 times)

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
Draw cord caught in holster= OUCH!
« on: August 17, 2012, 07:44:39 AM »
As cooler weather approaches, and the jackets and coats come out, the following is a reminder to be cautious when training with extra layers of clothing.

In June 2012, one of the local Task Force Officers assigned to our office was participating in firearms training at the range with that department’s issued pistol and ammunition.  The officer was using a .40 S&W caliber SIG P229 DAK, the same model HSI agents are issued.  The ammunition was department issued Federal Premium 180 Grain HST.  The holster utilized was a right-handed Blackhawk Serpa CQC concealment paddle-style.  The officer was wearing a light weight wet weather jacket due to rainy conditions on that day.
After having fired several rounds during the course of fire, the officer was in the process of holstering when the pistol discharged through the open portion of the bottom of the holster.  The round entered the outside of the right upper calf and exited the outside of the lower calf and was stopped by the ground (grass/dirt surface).  The round did not strike any bone or the ankle or foot.  There was not excessive bleeding and it was later found that there was no serious nerve damage.  The officer is expected to make a full recovery.
Once first aid was rendered and EMT’s had arrived at the scene, an examination of the pistol in the holster revealed that the trigger was depressed to the rear of the trigger guard (see photograph below).  A plastic cylinder-shaped draw cord adjuster attached to the wet weather jacket the officer was wearing was lodged against the front of the trigger.  The plastic draw cord adjuster had become caught inside of the trigger guard during the holstering of the pistol.
It should be noted that this type of draw cord adjuster is the type commonly found on many jackets.  The one that became lodged was for the side/waist adjustment cord.
Just a reminder to trainers and shooters. When holstering with this type of clothing and using the support hand to clear the holster, ensure that the support hand doesn’t get covered by the muzzle.  Keep the support hand and clothing well above the top of the holster and bring the pistol in below them.

Note draw cord adjuster lodged in front of trigger

Close up of trigger

Example of draw cord adjuster found on jacket

Resulting wound to outside of strong side calf.  Entry wound is on left.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
Re: Draw cord caught in holster= OUCH!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:27:16 AM »
That is something I've never thought of.  Thanks for sharing.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »
Thanks for the public service announcement :)

Hope you don't mind me adding this:

There is almost NEVER an operational need to holster a handgun quickly. Therefor, for training purposes, there is no reason to train for "speed" re holstering.

Take your time:
-take your finger of the trigger
-bring your weapon to the rear ready
-do your search and access
-engage your safety(if you have one)
-use your support hand to clear the holster of clothing or other obstructions
-make a quick visual inspection
-slowly and calmly re-insert your weapon, taking extra care to ensure your finger is off the trigger. (I go so far as to flail my finger out away from the weapon until it makes contact with the outside of the holster)

That is the sequence I use and teach, and it does not matter if it is a pocket holster or a safariland duty holster. The exact sequence is not particularly important. You may prefer the low ready, or you may engage your safety before doing your search and access. The last 3 steps of the sequence is the important part.

Speed holstering is a subject of particular interest for me as I have seen 2 negligent discharges as a result with my own eyes.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 11:56:58 AM »
I agree, there really is no reason, when practicing or training, to "speed holster" the gun.  Making sure all clothing and/or obstacles are out of the way of the holster is MANDATORY EVERY TIME!

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 01:33:55 PM »
Just another reason none of my jackets have draw cords on them, unless its on the main front zipper. This is the second time i've read something like this.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 01:58:19 PM »
For what its worth Clint Smith actually discusses this topic in one his newer DVDs.  Specifically and STRONGLY suggests taking them off. 

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 03:35:53 PM »
Thanks for posting this. Thanks to whoever made it public knowledge. Nothing is more reinforcing than a picture.

I'm pretty focused on holstering slow and careful, but I hadn't thought about this.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »
When I was a kid, I was fascinated by a photo at the Air National Guard that showed a ring and a ring finger that was separated from its owner.  The point was, don't wear rings, or cover them with gloves.  My point is that visuals make a BIG impression on the intended audience.  "Ouch" is right.

The ouch comment reminds me of another story.  My uncle was on the ground in Germany during WWII.  He was shot and while lying in a hospital bed, a military clergyman came up to him and asked "What were your first thoughts when you were shot?", expecting to get a revelation about coming to terms with his God.  Instead, my uncle's reply was "Ouch!".  I come from a family with an odd sense of humor.

Fly
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:02:55 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »
i was wearing a fleece with a ball type drawstring tightener at a PRT Fundamentals class, the string kept getting caught in my holster but the plastic
part kept worrying me

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 01:48:19 AM »
Kind of a known issue with holsters with the serpa type trigger lock.

this one was a bit of T-Shirt and in below the holster, out above the knee, in below the knee and out above the ankle.  The hospital reported it as 4 gun shot wounds.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 07:53:31 AM »
Kind of a known issue with holsters with the serpa type trigger lock.

I know of at lest one major training school that bans Serpas from their classes due to reported, and at least one witnessed, ND while drawing. The position and function of the release button are inherently bad IMO.

A ND while re-holstering can happen with any type of holster. Here is another good one caused by a worn leather holster.

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 08:28:48 PM »
Good reminder of thumb on hammer and as stated above, there is no race to the holster.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 11:29:43 PM »
The picture I posted was the result of a transition from pistol to rifle drill.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »
I know of at lest one major training school that bans Serpas from their classes due to reported, and at least one witnessed, ND while drawing. The position and function of the release button are inherently bad IMO.

A ND while re-holstering can happen with any type of holster. Here is another good one caused by a worn leather holster.

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

+1, seen it happen with a serpa, luckily it was only simmunitions.