< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Wish I Hadn'ta Done It............  (Read 2787 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Wish I Hadn'ta Done It............
« on: August 23, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »
OK............

What Really Good Ol' Gun did you ever sell/trade/lose/give away, whatever, and you've been sorry ever since and wish you had it back??

Mine was the sweetest-shootin' tackdriver Remington 788 w/most excellent walnut stock and a nice Shepherd scope, plus about 200 rounds and the RCBS loading dies.

Went to a Great Guy, but What Was I Thinking About???

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Wish I Hadn'ta Done It............
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »
Maybe.............that "Great Guy" may not be as fond of it as you are.

Might be worth a call.  ;)
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 06:35:36 PM »
A Marlin 336, 30-30.  Gave it to a friend, and I have regretted it ever since.  I loved that rifle.

Off and on I have been looking for another, if the price is ever right. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
Ruger 77 in stainless with a bull barrel and laminated stock in .220 Swift.  It was a tack driver but I was fresh out of college and broke as broke can be.

Also sold a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag that I wish I had back.  And a Browning Buckmark that I ALSO wish I still had. 

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:10:03 AM »
Colt custom shop Detective Special. Bobbed hammer, custom rosewood grips, front night sight, super sweet trigger pull and the deepest blue finish you ever saw. Im still good friends with the guy I sold it to, and he is never giving it up  :'(

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 08:15:38 AM »
Sometime I wish I had ya'lls problem. Mine is that I can't bring myself to sell anything, mainly because I don't want to regret it later...
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:33:50 AM »
Harken Ye All...........

NEBull is on to something here.

The value of his firearms holdings probably exceeds the value of our 401Ks.

sfg
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:36:38 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 10:26:58 AM »
Sometimes I wake up at night from nightmares that I sold one... then I have to go hold and oil them. If I ever really need the money, I just stop eating.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 10:53:56 AM »
Sometime I wish I had ya'lls problem. Mine is that I can't bring myself to sell anything, mainly because I don't want to regret it later...

Exactly how I am. I can't even come to sell my junky Hi-Point carbine or remington 770 with a broken bolt.

Offline RedNeckson

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »
1927 Thompson -  all original - Now I am all upset again  :( --- Major stupid move to sell that piece! (I know where it is but Guy won't answer his phone  :laugh: )

9mm Calico  - I can still pick that up again if I want

I am not selling any of my major pieces again!!!!!

Neal -- AKA - RedNeckSon
EAT THE PAIN

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »
I also had a Remmy 788 (in .243 WIN) .... that I wish I had back.  It was my first deer rifle, and probably was not worth what I sold it for- stock was birch, and the rifle was not pretty.  The scope was a fixed (6x?) Weaver, and I missed opportunities at more than one close deer becuse I could not find them in the tiny field of view..... and killed the hell out of a 1 1/2" branch between me and a nice buck at 30 yards...... I still wish I had it though......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 11:45:01 AM »
Exactly how I am. I can't even come to sell my junky Hi-Point carbine or remington 770 with a broken bolt.

I'm in the same boat, alway have been a "buy and hold" guy.
I still have my Ithaca Model 37 that I paid $99.00 for brand new in 1972, for another $10.00 I could have had a vent rib barrel!!
Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 01:35:22 AM »
Probably the S&W Model 16-4 in 32HR mag, I sold it for big profit, and put my wife into a gun I thought was better suited, but after a few years she wanted something else, so back into a S&W in 327 Federal this time, now I gotta get back into the loading of 32 that I got rid of all the stuff.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 08:02:11 AM »
Harken Ye All...........

NEBull is on to something here.

The value of his firearms holdings probably exceeds the value of our 401Ks.

sfg

Ha HA Joke's on you, for the most part, Imma buy cheap guns kinda guy.  I'm a sucker for a $100 .22!  (only recently putting back OT cash for some nicer units.) 
Now my 'Cowboy brother' on the other hand, He's the one with his retirement wrapped up in a gun safe (or two). What with all the Cowboy Action toys, in various "authentic' calibers, the reloading equipment, the leather rigs. etc.... Well, let's just say there's a good thing 'Tactical (Ammo Horder) Brother' lives just across the hall with his Retirement Holdings ;)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 08:55:20 AM »
Colt Kodiak

It was probably the only gun I ever owned that appreciated in value, and I sold it to pay rent many moons ago. Figures...

"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline Nebraska12

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
Rock Island Tactical 1911 .45....think about it nearly everyday. Sold it to a buddy of mine for a fair price. At least I know it went to a good home.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 06:10:29 PM by Nebraska12 »
'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'[/SIZE][/I]

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »
My''whatever'' guns can come and go as they please. My Argy 7.65 and my H&R. 22 on the other hand...them babies been in the family for 80 years, and they'll be here for another 80.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 10:04:33 AM »
Norinco SKS. Sold it a few years ago because I could never get it to stop slamfiring, even after getting every ounce of cosmoline out of it that I could. Then I found out all it needed was a new recoil spring.  :-[

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 09:46:28 PM »
Had a pair of Colt Woodsman pistols.

Gen II in 98%+ condition, and a Gen III Match Target that was unfired.

Sold them about 5-7 years ago for less that half of what they're worth now.    :(
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 06:28:29 PM »
Had a pair of Colt Woodsman pistols.

Gen II in 98%+ condition, and a Gen III Match Target that was unfired.

Sold them about 5-7 years ago for less that half of what they're worth now.    :(

I bought one of those about 6 months ago from Cabela's.  Gen2.  Had to have it shipped in from Maine, but well worth the effort.  GREAT little shooters.  Gave it to my Dad for his birthday when I was out there last month, with the provision that it comes back at the appropriate time.  :)

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX