< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Updated Address to buy a gun?  (Read 8379 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Updated Address to buy a gun?
« on: August 25, 2012, 02:17:10 AM »
I was going to buy a gun the other day and before we even got to the paperwork the salesman asked if my drivers license or purchase permit had my current address, and all have my old address. It has been about 2 weeks since I changed my address with the postal service and am still waiting for the change to go through, so I don't have 2 documents of proof of address needed for the DMV. (also have to wait for the DMV to come through to change my CCW address) Since I didn't have my proof of address the man said I need that for the 4473 to be valid, I have never had this problem before. The first gun I bought I was in living in Lincoln going to school and I had a Lincoln address but never updated my drivers license and had no problem(and I didn't know any better).

What sounded weird to me was that he said it was lying on the form if I wrote down a different one than what was on my ID. Is this true? I'm going to go to another store today since they have the one I want on sale and see if I have any problems.

Just got done looking at the form and it says Current Address. The only thing relating to an ID says "I also understand that making any false oral or written statement, or exhibiting any false or misrepresented identification with respect to this transaction, is a crime punishable as a felony under Federal law, and may also violate State and/or local law." So is there some Omaha law that says your ID/purchase permit must be up to date with the address?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 02:25:52 AM by bradkoll »

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
Re: Updated Address to buy a gun?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:19:06 AM »
I don't think it's anything new.  4 or 5 years ago I was buying a shotgun. I had just moved and when the salesman asked if this was my current address I said no I just moved and haven't gone into the DMV yet.  He said, "well I can't sell a gun to you then until you get it changed."  So yea, if that situation ever arises again, now I know whatever address is on my driver's license, "yea that is my current address!"

I'm guessing that you have to provide them with a valid ID.  If you have moved and your ID isn't changed it's no longer valid and you have a set number of days to change it.  So you wouldn't be lying on the 4473 to put your current address, but the salesman would be lying if he took your ID when it had a different address.  If something ever happened and the serial number was pulled, then they would contact the company who made it, the company who made it would say they sold it to whatever store.  Then when they went to the store they would have to pull up that 4473 and look at your info.  I think they take a photo copy of your license and if the address on the photocopy didn't match up with the 4473 they would be in trouble.  I think that's how it works.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:31:03 AM by cckyle »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:23:53 AM »
Yes your ID needs to have your correct address, but lately there have been allot of people saying that your purchase permit must also have your current address.  That is incorrect, the purchase permit does not need to be updated to be valid.  If a store requires it that is their policy not the law, and it is your choice if you wish to do business with them.

Offline cracked junior

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:18:29 AM »
Cabelas at sidney says purchase permit has to match.  Wife and i bought a bought a house.  I changed drivers license but never thought about permit.  One employee said atf and jon bruning had a meeting about it 2 weeks ago.  A different employee gave me some story about they have always had to match    I tried to tell them it worked last week at a mom and pop gun shop.   The gun was a 357 and i had over 150 dollars in ammo in the cart besides the baby camo clothes the wife picked out.   I said you can put this away for me since your lying and we left.   

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 12:28:10 AM »
Yes your ID needs to have your correct address, but lately there have been allot of people saying that your purchase permit must also have your current address.  That is incorrect, the purchase permit does not need to be updated to be valid.  If a store requires it that is their policy not the law, and it is your choice if you wish to do business with them.

Ya I checked at Cabela's and they said the purchase permit needs to be updated. Don't think I will bother with it since my CCW will be updated, if the postal service ever gets around to it... :'(

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 01:41:00 AM »
My daughters has an address at her duty station, she has her permanant address in Nebraska, she can buy guns at both places since she is a resident of both places.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 08:07:26 AM »
I know that Scheels in Lincoln (back when I bought guns there, which is unlikely to happen again) required the addresses on the permit and your DL to be identical.  If it wasn't, they wouldn't sell it to you.

According to them, fed gov checks on their paperwork would somehow show the fact that they didn't match, even though your permit's address appeared nowhere on the paperwork, nor did they keep a copy of it.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »
I know of one member here that went to Douglas County to update the permit after moving and was told "no".  That it wasn't necessary so they would not do it.

It seems like different dealers have their own rules or interpretation of the rules.  The big box stores sometimes apply harder rules than are required.

Offline eshold

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »
I am currently grappling with this same question. I moved recently to another address in Lincoln and have not yet received my replacement concealed carry permit. Luckily, I had saved the firearm purchase permit which was issued to me last year. I ordered a new pistol online for in-store pickup from DE Guns. I was denied the sale after I arrived due to the old address on the permit.

For clarification, I reached out to the Nebraska State Patrol headquarters to confirm that my permit was still valid. This is the email I received:

You have inquired whether a certificate to purchase a handgun remains valid when the holder changes address within three years of the effective date of the certificate.  I have reviewed the statutes relating to the certificates and the regulations found at 272 NAC Chapter 22.  It appears to me that the certificate remains valid.   Neb. Rev. Stat. § 69-2407  provides that “[t]he certificate shall be valid throughout the state and shall become invalid three years after its effective date.”  That statute describes a process for revocation should the holder become disqualified.  Nothing suggests that moving is a disqualification.

Since the address is part of the application and the address is repeated on the certificate, it is not unreasonable to conclude that the address may be considered to be part of the security of the firearms purchase process.    The statutes do not preclude a firearms owner from making the correct address  part of the sale process.  In that event, a new certificate can be issued with the current address for a five dollar fee.

I then sent the following to the owner of DE Guns:

Derek,

As you probably remember, I returned to your store today to pick up the order below. I presented my identification and firearm purchase permit and completed the ATF form 4473. The associate I was working with then informed me that my purchase permit was invalid and that the transfer could not be completed, as it listed my previous address. To this I protested, as Neb. Rev. Stat. § 69-2407 does not specify change of address, let alone within the same county, as grounds for permit invalidation or revocation. Following my visit, I contacted the Nebraska State Patrol headquarters for clarification regarding this matter. I was put in touch with [edited], who emailed me the following:

"You have inquired whether a certificate to purchase a handgun remains valid when the holder changes address within three years of the effective date of the certificate.  I have reviewed the statutes relating to the certificates and the regulations found at 272 NAC Chapter 22.  It appears to me that the certificate remains valid.   Neb. Rev. Stat. § 69-2407  provides that “[t]he certificate shall be valid throughout the state and shall become invalid three years after its effective date.”  That statute describes a process for revocation should the holder become disqualified.  Nothing suggests that moving is a disqualification."

I understand that you are a private entity and may refuse service based on your own internal policies; however, it was very degrading for a loyal customer, who is legally permitted and able to purchase a handgun in the state of Nebraska, to be refused service on such grounds. Your store has been my go-to shop for all of my firearm-related needs since I moved to Lincoln, and has been my favorite by far. I have referred several individuals to your store in the past year, one of which I believe purchased an M&P 15. I know you spend hours each day answering questions and helping customers to honestly ensure they are getting a firearm which best suits their needs, many of whom never end up actually making a purchase at your store. And yet, there was no time spent to investigate and clarify Nebraska state law in order to secure a purchase for a loyal customer, who is in need of a replacement firearm to protect himself not only in a general sense, but from a possibly violent criminal who recently stole his only pistol, right outside his front door.

As well as I have regarded your store, it would be against the dictates of my conscious to return to an establishment that upholds a policy which, in my estimation, is not only unnecessary, but an additional burden on law-abiding citizens seeking to exercise their Second Amendment rights. Is there any possibility that you are willing to review and change this internal policy to be in line with what is specified by Nebraska state law? I would like to continue recommending and supporting your establishment. Please let me know.

Regards,

This is the response I received:

When we spoke with them we received a different answer. If you could get your contact there to put that in writing and sign it I would be happy to change our policy. Also trying to stop the city ordnance of unconstitutional hand gun reporting. Please send me a copy of the email thanks
Derek Broman
derek@deguns.net

I forwarded him the original copy of the email and am currently awaiting a decision. Here's hoping for a win! It is uncanny how convoluted and easily misunderstood the myriad of firearms laws can oftentimes be.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 05:04:04 PM by eshold »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »
Bringing back an old thread, what fun.  Again eshold you are correct the law does not require the address on the Firearm Purchase Permit match the one on your ID or current address. But store do have the option of requiring it as part of their policy. 

Cabela's has been mentioned earlier in this thread and their policy is that the address need to match.  It is easy to understand why when you look at how a company like that needs to set policies.  They operate in many different states, each that have laws some stricter than others and policies need to operate the same everywhere.  Some of the states that have Purchase Permits (often called FOIDs or Firearms Owners Identification, and states vary on what that entails) require that the address on it be updated when a person moves.  So a company that operates in a State that has that requirement and also in another that does not would just follow one policy for all the states they operate in, one set of rules for all their employees.

DE Guns does not operate in multiple states which gives them more latitude, but I have seen in the past they have gotten some legal advise that told them they needed to do things, that while a large company like Cabela's would need to do, that are beyond the requirements in Nebraska.  In the past when that has been shown to them and they have had the chance to independently confirm the information they have changed their policy to allow for more freedom. 

Keeping addresses updated on everything is a pain in the rear, but not that difficult either, when you move your lease or purchase agreement for the property is on piece of what is needed to update your license, the second can be any official piece of mail, have your employer send you a note that say's "Hey Joe thanks for informing us of your new address" once it is delivered its covered.  The Temporary Drivers License will work to get your CHP updated as well.

So living and working in Lincoln a person could close on a house on Monday, that same day have their boss send them a letter which could be delivered the next day that they can take to the DMV to get their new Drivers License which they could then stop by the State Patrol and get their CHP, which someone on here actually got handed by waiting about 15 minutes.  So it is possible to pull this all off in 2-3 days if you want to and things go right, 5-8 on the outside.