< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Private gun sales  (Read 13692 times)

Offline HogDog

• NFOA Full Member
Private gun sales
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:46:07 PM »
Can anyone direct me to the private gun sales laws in Nebraska?  I'm looking to selling a few guns and need to know the laws (if any) as to private transfer.  Thanks for your help.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Private gun sales
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
First of all, welcome to the NFOA, and the forum!! ;D

There is a page here that lists Nebraska laws: http://www.nefirearm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=5

Here is a general rundown:

To purchase a handgun in Nebraska, one must first obtain a Handgun Purchase Permit from the local county Sheriff.

For NON FFL sellers:
To sell a handgun in Nebraska the seller must see the buyer's permit and driver's license or ID card.  Buyer must be 21 or older.

To sell a long gun(rifle or shotgun) the buyer must be 18 or older.  There is no permit required to purchase a long gun.(I usually ask to see their handgun permit anyway to cover my a$$.)

No records of the sale is required, but is allowed and is a matter of personal preference.

Now for the important question....what are you selling??? ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 10:29:20 AM »
Lincoln has an ordinance that you must report sales of some types of firearms to the Police.

9.36.030 Report of Sale of Firearms.
Any person, firm, association, or corporation dealing in firearms of any type shall, on the
same day of the sale of any firearm, except a shotgun or a rifle of a type commonly used for hunting,
report the sale to the Police Department on forms as prescribed and furnished by the Police
Department. The report shall contain all the information requested thereon. (Ord. 15625 ?3; July
9, 1990: P.C. ?9.28.025: Ord. 15443 ?1; February 20, 1990: prior Ord. 7936 ?1; December 26,
1962).

http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/attorn/lmc/ti09/ch936.pdf

My opinion is this is not necessary if you are outside the city limits at the time of the sale, But I am not a lawyer
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:32:43 AM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline schoolcop

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:05:54 AM »
Why is it that our normally conservative state has cities that pass these goofy restrictive ordinances requiring law abiding Americans register there guns with police. And what is really bugging me as I get older, and hopefully alittle wiser, is why are people allowing these elected officials to pass these ordinances. Stand up for your rights folks. We are going to see alot of movement against gun owner rights soon, mostly from the feds, and we had better be ready to fight for our rights. Join the NRA and all the other legitimate groups that can truly help our cause. GET INVOLVED!!! If you just sit on your couch and wait for someone else to protect your rights, you won't have them for much longer.   

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 10:52:48 PM »
Don't forget that to sell a handgun without FFL involvement, it most remain in-state.  So a Grand Island-Beatrice transaction is fine, but a Lincoln-Council Bluffs transfer is not.

Use common sense - don't meet in deserted, poorly places.  Bring an armed friend.  Cash only.  Fill out a bill of sale.

Why is it that our normally conservative state has cities that pass these goofy restrictive ordinances requiring law abiding Americans register there guns with police. And what is really bugging me as I get older, and hopefully alittle wiser, is why are people allowing these elected officials to pass these ordinances.

Nebraska is pro-hunting.  It is not pro-gun.

As for people tolerating this crap, many people choose to trust the government for too many things.  No one wants to be responsible for anything, especially their person safety.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:55:21 PM by Rich B »
NRA Life Member.