< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Which Loctite? And another question.  (Read 1115 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Which Loctite? And another question.
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:02:18 AM »
Finally got my scope for my Model 500! And now after spending over $100 on a scope base and rings and another $200 on the scope I would like to make sure I secure it well. I looked around the Loctite website and don't see what seems to be a good option. Green 290 says it is meant for the small threads I have, but it needs localized heat and hand tools to remove, and I would rather not use heat. And Blue 242 says it is meant for nuts and bolts with a thicker diameter. Anybody have a preference for one of those or even another color?

I would also like to create more surface area on the inside of the rings to contact the scope. Does anybody in the Omaha area have a 1" lapping bar and some grit I could pay a fee to use? Don't feel like spending a small fortune for the ones on Midway.

Thanks in advance for the input. I will probably go to the Bullet Hole tomorrow and see how it holds up while getting the crosshairs on target.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:06:40 AM by bradkoll »

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
Re: Which Loctite? And another question.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 12:52:15 AM »
you want blue.

Red requires a decent amount of heat to remove. Green is the same as red except you use it when parts are already together.
Im pretty sure the reason it says the red/green are better for small screws is because after you apply heat, it takes nothing to take apart. The blue takes a little more force to remove so you have the possibility of breaking/stripping the hardware. With gun stuff, blue isnt a problem. For softer metals, you wouldnt want it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:56:37 AM by jonm »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 07:10:18 AM »
Purple LocTite is meant for tiny screws and obviously has the least holding power of the bunch.  I'd avoid red like the plague in this case.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »
As a former auto tech I can tell you -
Blue if you want to take it off again,
Red if you don't Plan on taking it off again.
Green- it Ain't coming off again!
I always go with the Clear fingernail polish myself, at first. (usually does the trick. and doesn't show. and a little umph, and it's off)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 10:13:20 AM »
Fess up, you use pink sparkly nail polish.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
i know Magpul uses the Blue stuff on the allen screw in the trigger guard.  i believe in a little goes a long way and you can always add more if you need to.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 11:01:44 AM »
I've seen reports that some folks have used blue loctite on their front, replacement sight (talking semi-auto pistols like glocks) and it's come loose from the vibrations. The recommendation was to use red loctite. Would the vibrations be less or different, in this case?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »
Fess up, you use pink sparkly nail polish.
Not on my guns..... ;)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »
As a tool & die maker, I use Loctite blue 242 on small threads with no problems.  I've even used it on some very fine threads and had it work great. 

I've also used superglue before when I was in a pinch  :laugh:

You can still remove bolts/nuts with red loctite but it's not easy...Same with green loctite 620 retaining compound.  We usually use 620 at work for retaining bushings on dies that go through millions of hits and still hold strong. 

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 07:08:15 PM »
Well I made it to the BH today and without any loctite it held up like a champ for a little over 20 rounds. Those Warne Maxima rings are built like a brick poop house (highly recommended). Had no problems seeing the target and had a sufficient field of view on that little 2x20, pleasantly surprised with the light gathering in the relatively dark room. I will keep my eyes on the rings and base for loosening but as of now I don't think I will need the loctite. If I ever decide to take it off and give it a thorough cleaning I will reinstall them using loctite.