< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Vintage Military Bolt Rifle at Ike's  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Vintage Military Bolt Rifle at Ike's
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:48:50 PM »
Next to the last shoot for the year this coming Saturday. Vintage match starts at 8:00 AM  with sight in and will be followed by the CMP .22 Sporter match when its done. Usually around 11:00 AM or so. Directions to the range and details for both matches can be found at the web site listed below. Hope to see you there!

http://lincolnikes.com/

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Vintage Military Bolt Rifle at Ike's
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »
Would love to, dont have enough ammo:(
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 05:13:52 PM »
What kind of ammo?  Something crazy obscure?  Bet someone around here has some.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
7.65 argentine

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 06:30:32 PM »
Good luck ;D

I have a Yugo Mauser with some ammo that I normally leave in the truck in case someone has a problem.  You are welcome to it if you come out. 

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »
So what does a vintage match look like?  I got my Mosin running, but haven't shot it much.  On a side note, how do you fix the sticky bolt once it warms up?  That thing is a pain to open.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Mikee Loxxer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:05:53 PM »
Husker, they shoot an NRA SR1 target at 75 yards. There is a sight in period of an hour or so then 30 rounds for score. All stages are single load, slow fire. 10 rounds in ten minutes standing, sitting, and then prone. It's a fun low stress match. I shot it for the first time last month and really enjoyed it.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 07:56:26 AM »
these are a blast, literally:)

and as it stands, looks like i'm putting a transmission in a truck saturday morning, so i'm not gonna make it.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 05:33:54 PM »
So what does a vintage match look like?  I got my Mosin running, but haven't shot it much.  On a side note, how do you fix the sticky bolt once it warms up?  That thing is a pain to open.

Take a 20ga shotgun bore brush and put it on a section of cleaning rod.  Dip the the brush in solvent and chuck the cleaning rod in a drill.  Take the bolt out and insert the brush into the chamber from the rear, and spin it with the drill for a minute or two (keeping it out of the throat/barrel).  Then clean well with patches.

A lot of mosins have a kind of shellac built up in the chamber from old cosmoline that's dried out.  When you fire a few rounds it heats up the gunk and sticks to your fired case.

If anyone wants to shoot but doesn't have a rifle available let me know.  You buy the ammo and you can use one of mine.  The same goes for the rimfire match afterwards. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:17:41 PM »
If anyone wants to shoot but doesn't have a rifle available let me know.  You buy the ammo and you can use one of mine.  The same goes for the rimfire match afterwards. 

That's actually really tempting.  (Plus people would be able to see how much I suck with a rifle.)

...I wonder if I can make it out there this Saturday?

(I need to look up the rimfire sporter match rules.  I've got some .22 rifles, but I'm not sure which one of them meets the sporter requirements.  You know, we really need to set some stickies at the top of this sub-forum giving basic rules for each of the competition types.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 06:56:32 PM »
Take a 20ga shotgun bore brush and put it on a section of cleaning rod.  Dip the the brush in solvent and chuck the cleaning rod in a drill.  Take the bolt out and insert the brush into the chamber from the rear, and spin it with the drill for a minute or two (keeping it out of the throat/barrel).  Then clean well with patches.

A lot of mosins have a kind of shellac built up in the chamber from old cosmoline that's dried out.  When you fire a few rounds it heats up the gunk and sticks to your fired case.

Thanks BK
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 07:22:45 PM »
The rimfire match is basically any standard "sporter" type rifle.  It has to be under 7.5 lbs and no fluted barrels.  So, a bull barreled 16" 10/22 will make weight, a 20" bull will not.  Trigger needs to be 3 lbs or above.  Scopes/peep sights and open sights are separate classes.  A shooting sling is allowed.  Total of 60 rounds, shot prone, sitting, and standing. 

Now, with all that said, we'll let anyone shoot.  Even if you have a big heavy target rifle with a hair trigger you can show up and we'll let you shoot in the "unlimited" class. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 08:01:36 PM »
The rimfire match is basically any standard "sporter" type rifle.  It has to be under 7.5 lbs and no fluted barrels.  So, a bull barreled 16" 10/22 will make weight, a 20" bull will not.  Trigger needs to be 3 lbs or above.  Scopes/peep sights and open sights are separate classes.  A shooting sling is allowed.  Total of 60 rounds, shot prone, sitting, and standing. 

Now, with all that said, we'll let anyone shoot.  Even if you have a big heavy target rifle with a hair trigger you can show up and we'll let you shoot in the "unlimited" class. 

I've got a light scoped .22 I could use---but it has a Dragunov-style stock.  Will that be a problem?  (Man, I haven't shot that in awhile...)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »
Well, according to the CMP rules a thumbhole stock is not allowed.  But for this local match it would be ok.

Looks like now I won't make it to the vintage match that morning, but I'll be there by 11:00 to run the rimfire one.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 07:34:12 AM »
I still need to shoot one of these...either that or i donated ten bucks to you Brian since the one i started to shoot got rained out lol.

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 07:02:27 PM »
I still need to shoot one of these...either that or i donated ten bucks to you Brian since the one i started to shoot got rained out lol.

Your "rain check" expired :P  Seriously though, you need to get out there more often if you haven't been since the rain.

I am planning on being there despite this creeping death someone gave me.  Just checked the back of the meds box, heavy equipment is out but highpower rifles are OK.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:09:36 PM by Ivars »

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »
I out for this and the rimfire shoot, schooling for work!
KD0LKT