< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: iphone 5  (Read 2002 times)

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
iphone 5
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:25:54 PM »
vs new Droid based. thoughts? discuss

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
Re: iphone 5
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:32:55 PM »
it has all the same hardware the current droids have had out for months now. the only real difference anymore is the OS, just like their computers.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:35:05 PM »
Yeah, I find the iPhone 5 very underwhelming. I wouldn't buy Apple stock right now, that's for sure.

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 11:27:06 PM »
i was afraid of that  :(

i have too much $ wrapped up in iphone apps though  :angry:

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 02:46:04 AM »
I've had the regular iPhone 4 now for two years. This has been the best phone I have ever had, period.... Usually I have counted down the days to when my contract was up so I could get a better phone, heck not this time. I have no desire to even consider looking at a Droid.

I wouldn't buy Apple stock either :-)  Way too overpriced!

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 07:14:36 AM »
i was afraid of that  :(

i have too much $ wrapped up in iphone apps though  :angry:

most android apps have a free version:) I have yet to pay for an app.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »
Had a Motorola Milestone and only had problems with the droid OS. I have had an iPhone 4S for 9 months now and only have positive things to say. Simply put, it just works. The droid would freeze or have other random issues. And in regards to people saying iPhone has expensive apps, I have yet to pay for an app. Plus it is a phone, not a gameboy. The apps I use consist of a flashlight app, bullet drop calculator, shazam, weather, and a police scanner. Plus the ability to facetime with other iPhones is nice. Oh and Apple has hands down the most responsive easy to use screen around.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 05:55:24 PM »
Frankly I'm really fed up with the Android platform.  Too many problems with instability.  I've had two Androids now and both have had problems with randomly rebooting, freezing up, unexpected errors in apps, etc.  I have a year left on my current phone and I'm going iPhone when that's up.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 06:18:20 PM »
I'm probably an oddball, but the newest Windows phones (not the ones that made you use a stylus) are pretty darn slick. Most popular apps have a version in the marketplace for free or at least let you try before you buy.

Anyway, just bringing up another alternative. :)

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 10:26:53 AM »
I finally went from a phone to the iPhone 4 and love it. I almost don't need my laptop anymore and can work from anywhere. The basics are great! I got the "Posted" app that shows the posted places and paid .99 for it. It is something we can all help build by adding new posted places etc. If you can't find it, email postedccw@gmail.com for help.

Wilson

Offline WESchultz

• Powder Benefactor
  • ENGC & NMA
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
My two cents worth.
I have to agree with bradkoll.
Been using my “iPhone 4S” on the Sprint network for the past 9 months and like brad says, “IT JUST WORKS.” This is the best cell phone available in the market place. I wouldn’t waste my time or money on anything else and will always buy the best model of Apple iPhone available.
As info: There are issues with the Sprint network being weak in certain areas (away from major metropolitan areas – like at the ENGC range). It doesn’t bother me to have a weak signal when at the range, as I don’t want people bothering me when I’m at the range shooting. So, If you decide to go with Sprint, be sure their signal towers give you good coverage in and for your specific location(s).
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any!

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »

As info: There are issues with the Sprint network being weak in certain areas (away from major metropolitan areas – like at the ENGC range). It doesn’t bother me to have a weak signal when at the range, as I don’t want people bothering me when I’m at the range shooting. So, If you decide to go with Sprint, be sure their signal towers give you good coverage in and for your specific location(s).

That's odd. I have decent service with Spring when I am out at ENGC.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 03:43:52 PM »
My big problem with Sprint is their data service.  It's ridiculously slow.  Their 4G coverage is laughable.  Unfortunately my wife just upgraded her phone so we're stuck with them another 2 years.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 04:10:21 PM »
Because of Sprint's unlimited data, I cancelled my home internet and just tether my phone so I can get on Xbox live and use my computer. I think I went through just over 30GB of data last month. Yeah, its a little slow. But it is unlimited. And it was actually faster than Cox's 3MB/s internet when I had it.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 05:05:30 PM »
My big problem with Sprint is their data service.  It's ridiculously slow.  Their 4G coverage is laughable.  Unfortunately my wife just upgraded her phone so we're stuck with them another 2 years.

What 4G coverage? 

Offline WESchultz

• Powder Benefactor
  • ENGC & NMA
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »
I didn't say Sprint doesn't work at the ENGC range, I said it has a weak signal in places. It still works fine, just check how many "signal" bars are showing on your phone when at the ENGC range, especially when down in the pistol bays area. I've had a number of phone calls dropped when at the 100 yard range or lower elevation. Top of the hill at the 600/300 yard ranges it isn't much of an issue.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any!

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »
I'm saying my signal was pretty good at engc. I up loaded pictures to facebook down in the pistol bays and the 100yd area a couple of tImes wIthout Issue.  it is terrible out at pawnee lake when I was there today though.

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 10:10:18 PM »
iPhone
The latest iPhone is lackluster, and not very revolutionary.
The phone’s specs are actually not quite on par with today’s top of the line smart phones (think Samsung Galaxy S3 and Nokia Lumina 920).
The processor is getting near where other are.  The screen size is similar to, but smaller than other phones.  Apple just introduced LTE networking where others have had it for a while.

When the iPhone was released in 2007 it was very revolutionary.  Apple took and cut out the hardware manufacturers and did the design themselves.  They cut out the software that phone makers created and created their own iOS software.  Apple also took the carriers to town by giving them the specific hardware, software, pricing, and limiting them to just being the phone carrier.
Apple also controlled the software updates to the phone, eliminating the phone manufacturer’s and carrier’s ability to dictate what software and how much is updated on the phone.
The software, hardware, experience were all put together into a seamless package that worked very well.

Apple did have problems with their initial release. 
iTunes sucked then, and pretty much sucks now, but has been getting better. Apple has also made their devices work over the air, so iTunes is no longer required for updates and backing up of the phones.
The original iPhone had horrible reception issues on AT&T.  Most likely due to the chipset that Apple picked to power the original iPhone.
The iPhone 4 had antenna issues due to hardware design that put the antenna on the outside of the phone were certain people could perform a “death grip” and lose signal strength.

iPhone software is now based on software that is over 5 years old.  Grids of applications that only work with each other in on the edge. There is not a way to show all your pictures in one place.  There are separate applications that are each walled off from one another. Facebook, Picassa, Phone, twitpic, etc.  All are walled gardens.
Notifications are finally getting to where they are useful. 

Android
Android has more problems than Apple has with the iPhone.
Multiple manufactures with different phone specs, all with different software and different experiences.
Each manufacturer creates their own phone design with full ranges of differing spec.
Each manufacturer then creates their own overlay (Motorola Blur, HTC Sense, etc.) changing the experience for everyone who uses their phone.
Each carrier then installs garbage software on their phones that cannot be removed.  Some even run as root in hidden processes (Carrier IQ anyone).

The Android software updates are controlled by the hardware manufactures and carriers. 
About 75% of the phones run Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) or earlier.
Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is at about 20%, but was released in October of 2011. 
The current version 4.1 (Jelly Bean) was released in July 2012.

Android OS is also looking dated.  Grid of walled applications like the iPhone. Limited of sharing of data, photo’s, etc. between applications.
Notifications are finally getting better (like the iPhones).

Google also has all of their “free” software and services that it uses to monetize your tracking and history data.

Windows Phone 7/7.5/8
Everyone I have talked to or read about that has used it loves the software.
They also love the sharing of photos, emails, notification, etc.
Microsoft doesn’t have much market share, and carrier’s don’t carry their phones and don’t promote them.
Microsoft messed up by letting the carriers control the updates to the phone OS. Carriers have pretty much refused to update the phone’s software even when they were just bug fixes.

We will have to see if this one gets better or not.

Palm WebOS
The WebOS software was great.  Ahead of its time.
Notifications are what other iPhone and Android are currently trying to achieve.
Palm made horrible hardware.  Small screens, lackluster performance, poor quality hardware, and generally second rate hardware.
HP bought Palm WebOS and pretty much ran it into the ground killing it off.
Palm also had their contact charging “touchstone” for wireless charging.

Blackberry
Once king of the corporation, fell behind in software and hardware.
Not sure what else to say about this one.

After all that ranting what else do I have to say?
My current phone is an HTC EVO 4G from Sprint. I have to pay extra for the 4G even though I have never seen or used it where my phone has been.
I am stuck on version 2.3 of Android.
HTC Sense crashes at least weekly.
I have 2-4 contacts for each of my contacts that I regularly delete. Not quite sure where they came from.
Sprint usually only has a small selection of phones available.
Battery life is horrible.
Horrible software also shortens the battery life.
Sprints last upgrade now causes the Wi-Fi to turn on when I can’t connect to a network, further killing the battery life.
I am not quite in my cycle where I can upgrade yet.
New phone prices suck - $600-800 for phones not on contract. Yes this include Android and iPhones.

I have written mobile web sites where each device lies about their screen size and capabilities making it a pain to actually have a good experience.
I have written and published software for iPhone and Android devices.
Even though the applications were essentially the same, the experience on each device is vastly different.

If you are mostly non-technical and just want a phone the works seamlessly, the iPhone is probably your best bet.
If you are very technical and like to change your phone operating system, then and Android phone is probably your best bet.
Looking for a change? Maybe Windows Phone 8 on a Nokia Lumina 920 (releasing soon).

Pick what you like.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »
Mudnrox, That was the best written description of the various smart phone's and there positives and negatives I have read in a long time.  Thanks for writting that up.