< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Recommend a WMA for target shooting  (Read 4115 times)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Recommend a WMA for target shooting
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »
Something within an hour or so of Lincoln. 300 meter minimum, but longer is better, out to 1000.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Recommend a WMA for target shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »
I'm not aware of any, but, at this time of year, I try not to do target shooting on land where others might be hunting. Archery deer season is going on now.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:59:22 AM »
I'm not aware of any, but, at this time of year, I try not to do target shooting on land where others might be hunting. Archery deer season is going on now.

And so is fall turkey season - archery and shotgun, as well as rabbit squirrel and other small game. Too much risk doing any target shooting on those lands IMO.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Something within an hour or so of Lincoln. 300 meter minimum, but longer is better, out to 1000.

You might be able to get up to about 300 meters at Olive Creek Lake SRA. Here is the map of where you can and can't target shoot out there: http://flic.kr/p/aFZMD4

There is a nice long field that you can see in the southern half of the SRA that has (or had, the last time I was there) a nice big brush pile that can serve as a good backstop, especially if you can find an elevated shooting position.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 04:19:49 PM »
You might be able to get up to about 300 meters at Olive Creek Lake SRA. Here is the map of where you can and can't target shoot out there: http://flic.kr/p/aFZMD4

There is a nice long field that you can see in the southern half of the SRA that has (or had, the last time I was there) a nice big brush pile that can serve as a good backstop, especially if you can find an elevated shooting position.

Here are some pics of my wife lighting up some paper out there before our son was born: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyaZaTB

Offline Mikee Loxxer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »
I don't know that there are any WMA's near Lincoln that would be good for target shooting. Years ago I would shoot at Triple Creek but it wasn't a very good location (no distance and impossible to be sure that no one was beyond your target).

Not trying to be disagreeable Clark but a brush pile really isn't a backstop.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:27:47 AM »
"Here are some pics of my wife lighting up some paper out there before our son was born: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyaZaTB"

That's cool she went to Alabama University.....  : P

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 10:06:28 AM »
I don't know that there are any WMA's near Lincoln that would be good for target shooting. Years ago I would shoot at Triple Creek but it wasn't a very good location (no distance and impossible to be sure that no one was beyond your target).

Not trying to be disagreeable Clark but a brush pile really isn't a backstop.

Any time someone is concerned about being sure of his target and what is beyond it, I appreciate that abundance of caution.

In this case, the brush pile (which had some pretty sizable logs in it) served as a place to stick targets, and I think it was pretty effective at stopping the rounds we put into those targets. But I agree that a brush pile alone is not necessarily a good back stop. You can see in some of the pictures I linked that there are some differences in elevation out there at Olive Creek Lake SRA.

If you are in a position that is slightly elevated from where the brush pile is, and you place your targets relatively low so that you are shooting at a downward angle, and you have elevated ground behind that brush pile that will catch any rounds that make it through, and you are careful to visually inspect the surrounding area, I think you can be pretty darn safe shooting there.

If you are looking for some place to rock and roll, I agree that this probably isn't the spot. If you are looking for a location where you can make some well-placed 300 meter shots while being conscientious about where your rounds are going, I think Olive Creek Lake SRA is the best place I've found on public land in Lancaster County where that is possible.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »
"Here are some pics of my wife lighting up some paper out there before our son was born: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyaZaTB"

That's cool she went to Alabama University.....  : P

Them's fighting words!

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 11:23:08 AM »
Back in my Single Man days at NAS JAX I dated one of the gals in VP30.  She was an Academy grad from Mobile whose dad was a famous Auburn alum (and subsquent Maj Gen USMC (Deceased)).  Anyway, I was always amazed at the hatred they had for the "Tide".  You didn't kid about such things related to BAMA and AU.   Being a Sooner grad myself its worse than OU/NEB....... 

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »
If all else fails you can try the 300 yard Informal Shoot at Linclon Ike's on Oct 20th. It is open to the public for a fee of $10 per shooter. Position or bench rest availble, targets available too if you dont have your own. No course of fire, you can shoot how ever you like. I believe it starts at 8:00 am and is open to 2:00 PM.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »
Went up north and looked at a couple in Butler county. One is VERY ideal, could safely place targets out to 800+, but the problem is, you have to hump everything in and out, and carrying 500lbs of steel in several trips out to 3/4 of a mile takes more time than shooting, and more energy than it's worth. I don't really feel comfortable leaving the steel out there, and G&P would probably charge that as littering. The area even has a large dam with a clear area behind it, perfect for pistol/carbine CQB.

I did go ahead an throw some out to 300 and plinked a bit, that sucked enough, the firing point is a good 5/8 of a mile in.

If only G&P would allow me to use a vehicle or even ATV to set up steel, would be perfect. But I'm almost certain there is no point to asking. Thoughts?

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »
Just a suggestion to the BoD, concerning the Nebraska Game and Parks Public Range program. Redtail WMA should be considered for a public range site, a minimal investment would be needed, and it is a reasonable distance from Lincoln.

Risk: They probably won't like the idea of people shooting over a body of water. It is a legitimate projectile escape concern, and I am sure they can fenagle it into an environmental concern.

Management: To negate this risk/concern, I would recommend having only people that are NRAROs that have taken a special class from the G&P would have the keys to the front gate. These ROs would work on a volunteer basis, and would also have their names and contact info on the G&P website so they could be contacted for appointments. I, for one, would be happy to donate a weekend a month working as an RO here (spending a good amount of that time slinging lead).

Risk: I did spot one tree stand, and the area is open to hunting. There is a permanent tree stand on private property to the east of the 1/4 section line

Management: Range would be closed for deer rifle season. Red flags, strobes and an alert siren, along with a crapload of signs, would be used when the range is occupied.

Risk: There is a house to the north, approximately 1/2 mile from the 1000m target area.

Management: In addition to previously recommended measures (ROs and target pits) I would recommend having a berm on the northern edge of that clearing, to further prevent projectile escape.

Location using Dwight NE as a reference point. Drive time from Lincoln is about 35 minutes. While there, I ate lunch at a diner in Dwight, and talked to some people. I basically asked how they would feel if that area became a public range. The idea was very well liked by the cafe owners, for obvious commercial reasons, and most of the locals had positive reactions.

Map of firing lines/points, limits of fire, general backstops, and already existing trails. For a public range, I would recommend putting target pits in to ensure minimal risk of projectile escape. Target pits would be at 40-60m intervals with driving trails next to them. The firing line into the dam could be moved as close to or as far from (max 280 meters) from the dam as desired, but I would recommend another driving path to get back there without having to cross the other range.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:52:53 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 09:57:41 PM »
Click on photos for larger view.

View from firing line, all distances verified using GPS. Would recommend putting either a tower or elevated berm firing line in here, just to make the targets easier to see. (Yes, I walked the entire thing, and 4 other WMAs; according to my GPS I walked close to 23 miles that day)

10x15" plates out to 300m. You can see the risk of water impacts and ricochets there, but a target pit would be a simple fix. (Yes, I walked that steel in, and it sucked)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:33:26 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 10:43:43 PM »
Costs:
Range shack, flagpole with strobe
Target Pits (~20)
Culverts for trails and dirt work (3)
1000m berm
Gravel for trails
Tower or dirt work for 1000m firing line
dirt work and gravel for pond dam firing lines(50m, 100m, 250m)
Training for ROs
General equipment for ROs
Signs for perimeter

Optional:
4 wheeler for RO
Steel gongs (10-20) (Would not recommend leaving out, will encourage people to go out there on their own)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:48:34 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »

FWIW, I went shooting at Olive Creek Lake SRA last weekend and was able to set up at 100 yards and 260 yards. If I hadn't forgotten my target stands, I definitely could have set up at 300+ yards. As it was I had to use a dead stump as my target stand. My backstop was the side of a hill. I encountered some deer hunters who were moving a deer stand, and when they questioned whether I could target shoot out there. (I also scared up three deer, including one that ran back up towards my shooting buddy and his FAL.) I was glad to have my map from G&P showing where you can and can't target shoot on that SRA.

Offline Iguana

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 07:04:06 AM »
FWIW, I went shooting at Olive Creek Lake SRA last weekend and was able to set up at 100 yards and 260 yards. If I hadn't forgotten my target stands, I definitely could have set up at 300+ yards. As it was I had to use a dead stump as my target stand. My backstop was the side of a hill. I encountered some deer hunters who were moving a deer stand, and when they questioned whether I could target shoot out there. (I also scared up three deer, including one that ran back up towards my shooting buddy and his FAL.) I was glad to have my map from G&P showing where you can and can't target shoot on that SRA.

Where can I get a that map?  I live in crete and have been dying for a place to shoot.  this would be great.  I downloaded the G&P app from the android market...is it in there?

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 09:18:57 AM »
Where can I get a that map?  I live in crete and have been dying for a place to shoot.  this would be great.  I downloaded the G&P app from the android market...is it in there?

Here is the map that was provided to me by Pat Molini, the Game & Parks district manager for District 5: http://flic.kr/p/aFZMD4

If you follow the trail that comes east off of SW 100th, you can park at the bend in the trail where it veers north towards the boat launch. There is a hunters check-in box there and a roped off old path that goes southeast from the trail. If you follow that a couple of hundred yards, you will see a dried up old pond down the hill to your left. Keep walking around the bend, and you will get to a clearing where the high-voltage power lines come through. You can set up on the hill on your right, and then go down and set up targets down at around 100 yards to 120 yards, and then set up more targets across the dried up creek bed and on the other side where the hillside comes back up. I used an old political yard sign for a target holder and stuck it in the ground right at 300 yards. The hills are approximately 400 yards apart, hilltop to hilltop, so if you set up part way down the one hill you can shoot at a target part way down the other, and have a very good backstop to catch your rounds.

Be advised, I was out there this last weekend and I was approached by a conservation officer and another fellow, both armed. The conservation officer noted that there was a "no target shooting" sign, so I had to show him the area on the Game & Parks map to which that applied. After he squinted at my map for a minute or two, he admitted that I had "talked to the right people," told me to "enjoy the shooting," and then said he had been working for G&P for two years and never heard of anyone target-shooting at Olive Creek Lake SRA. After he left, my buddy and I shot our three rifles (Savage 110FP in .308, YHM AR-15 in 5.56mm, and Springfield something-or-other in .22 Hornet) uneventfully for another couple of hours and called it a day.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:41:40 AM by CitizenClark »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 12:02:30 PM »
Here is a screenshoot of the Google Earth track from my buddy's GPS.