< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Long Range Precision Rifle Clinic-Sept/Oct 2013  (Read 3022 times)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Long Range Precision Rifle Clinic-Sept/Oct 2013
« on: September 25, 2012, 06:38:27 PM »
This is just a VERY tentative heads up and interest feeler for a 2 day Long Range Precision Rifle Clinic that I am starting to put together for the fall of 2013.

I want to be very clear, this is all very tentative. I am only trying to make sure there is enough interest for this.

!!!ALL DETAILS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE!!

Date: A weekend in September/October 2013
Time: 2 days (weekend) 8:00am-6:00pm
Max Participants: 8-10
Cost: $200 each

Required Equipment:
-Rifle: minimum caliber .223, maximum .338 lapua
-Magnified optic: minimum 3x with either a BDC reticle or dials
-400 rds of ammo
-databook
-rear bag
-eyepro/earpro
-bipods or pack/bags for support

Topics:
Not that this will be a *clinic*, not a *course*. As such we will start out with a half day of zeroing and working on the fundamentals. The second half of the first day will be for gaining and truing ballistic algorithms (A computer and printer will be used on site, if you have your own PDA or other system, that would be fine). The second day will consist of various topics including mil-relation formula, reading wind and atmospheric data, compensating for same, gathering dope, spotting and team techniques, and of course, hammering home the fundamentals.

Steel will be out to 1000 meters, and this class is geared toward the bolt action precision rifle gang, but (depending on how my partner feels) something like an AR-15 with an ACOG (more of a designated marksman) may be allowed.

Some site limitation prevent some things we would otherwise do:
-You will see no movers
-There will be little-to-no correction for slope
We will probably still talk about these subjects, but we will be unable to practice them.

So why the wishy washy feeler?

The lead instructor/coach will be an old colleague of mine, I will be acting as an assistant instructor/coach. He will be just returned from his 3rd combat tour when he and I will be putting on this clinic. That being said, alot can happen between now and then, so if this all falls through and ends up not happening, or happening much later, don't say I didn't warn you. I do need to make sure there is enough interest to fill this class prior to getting him locked down (AKA away from his wife for 3-4 days right after a 12 monther)

A little bit about him:

Josh Veraguth from St. Joesph, MO. Currently assigned to Ft. Lewis Washington. Current location: some guanoty place in a guanoty country.

Joined the army the same week as I did, we met at my first unit and stayed close our entire careers. He has always been an exceptionally good shot and was picked up almost immediately by a sniper team. He served 2 tours on that same team, the second as the team leader. He has completed the US Army Sniper School and various other less official courses. He has also helped teach and instruct several courses, including the US Army Sniper School's travelling act and several that I attended (he also attended classes that I taught, so we are even ;). He is a plethora of knowledge and skills in his field, and to this day, I still pick is brain every chance I get.

If you have a solid interest in this, feel free to leave a comment and/or any questions you may have. Remember this is very tentative, and an actual date or any other "solid" info will probably not be seen until July-August of next year.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:42:14 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Long Range Precision Rifle Clinic-Sept/Oct 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:19:02 PM »
Very interested.

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »
I'd be up for it. Hopefully I'll have a new rifle by then.  ^-^

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 09:19:18 PM »
Interested.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 11:17:48 PM »
I suggest you get paid up front deposits enough to cover your expenses because those who say interested seldom show up. Money up front thins out the posers.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 11:19:26 PM »
I suggest you get paid up front deposits enough to cover your expenses because those who say interested seldom show up. Money up front thins out the posers.

Been teaching classes for a while, thanks though. I always do full payment upfront.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:26:08 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 07:41:16 AM »
Interested

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 10:19:24 AM »
I would be, except 400 rnds for my rifle would run close to $400. One day perhaps...
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 03:03:54 PM »
I am interested!
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
i am interested as well.  but we'll see how much money i have at that time.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »
Interested, depending on end-cost. 
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 08:36:40 PM »
Having the class open to Designated Marksman type rifles will make is a lot more accessible, both from an ammo and rifle standpoint.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 08:43:41 PM »
Having the class open to Designated Marksman type rifles will make is a lot more accessible, both from an ammo and rifle standpoint.

Pardon my lack of knowledge here, but what is a "Designated Marksman" type of rifle?
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 09:47:43 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_marksman_rifle

Not really a sniper, but more of a sharpshooter role in support of an infantry unit.  Typically would use an M-16 type rifle with some kind of magnified optic.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »

Given that it is a clinic, and not a course, they will likely be allowed, but not generally recommended. Much of it will not be applicable or practical.

My Basic Long Range Marksmanship course is intended as a DM/intro to precision rifle course, while this clinic is meant as more of an intermediate precision rifle thang.

Feel free to go to https://sites.google.com/site/midwesttacticalsolutions/class-schedule and request a particular date and location of your choice, and check the box for BLRM. You will be required to complete a modified Rifle Marksmanship block as well (ART, BRM, ARM), but it could be done in the same day.

Off topic: DMs are issued M14 EBRs with 10x Mk4s as well as M4s with ACOGs, and in some units are allowed to purchase their own upper receivers and other goodies or may receive special issue upper receivers and goodies. They typically must qualify expert, and are otherwise known to be good shots and complete a 2 week course to be REAL DMs, although many receive the equipment and no training, and have no real idea of what they are doing.

By doctrine, the following defines the max effective ranges of these roles on 40"x20" Etype targets.
Riflemen: 300m
DM: 600m
Automatic Riflemen: 600m (M249 on bipods)
Sniper: 800m (M110 or M24) However the "golden standard" for experienced teams is 1000m

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:33:30 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 10:34:52 PM »
Thanks BK

Maybe Wallace could come up with a class for the 500yd crowd, and still have something for the 1000yd crowd. Certainly is a cost factor when comparing the ammo to be used. I know it would be difficult going thru $400 worth.  ::)

Another thought for Wallace. I'll bet there are alot of people with the same situation as mine. I don't have the first clue with what it takes to shoot at any distance past 100 yds. Maybe a beginner type class to learn the basics with fewer rounds and more instruction, then maybe an advanced class to really challenge the long gunners.

Just thinkin what would be the best way to start for people that don't have any basic knowledge. Like me.  ???

Ronald Reagan

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Start buying ammo now.  Buy 33+/- rounds a month and you'll be set by next fall.  $200 + $400 in ammo is a pretty good deal for this kind of "clinic", IMO. 

For anyone that's interested, I'm happy to connect you with my buddy who is an ammunition manufacturer.  You'll probably save quite a bit on quality precision rifle ammo.

Offline stutzcattle

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 09:47:22 PM »
What's your thoughts on using an AR10 with an Acog?  I may be interested if I can get it worked into the schedule.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »
I would be interested, but one question would you allow Reloads? I know most classes/clinics don't.

Thanks
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »
I would be interested, but one question would you allow Reloads? I know most classes/clinics don't.

Thanks

Good question.  If he doesn't, I'm out.