< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Got a job  (Read 3039 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Got a job
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 08:44:29 PM »
Kind of reminds me of grocery stores that will ask for both couple's ID's upon purchasing alcohol heh.

Straw Sales when done cleanly area a real *** to catch.  I sincerely hope they put ya through training for what to catch etc.

I agree with having someone else around when declining a sale.  I tend to mostly shop alone (so sad :( :( :( ) ... and tend to act like a little kid ... pacing back and forth in front of the counter, eye-raping the things under the glass, lots more pacing, etc.  :P
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 08:50:33 PM »
But they know it's not a straw sale when you keep drooling over the 1911's!

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 09:09:25 PM »
The last time I was seriously considering a purchase, paced back and forth for about an hour... sales lady finally convinced me to handle a kimber ultra compact... think i made her blush with a 'thats so sexy' when i first got my mitts on it :3.  Didn't end up buying it, don't want a 1911 style for carry.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »
The last time I was seriously considering a purchase, paced back and forth for about an hour... sales lady finally convinced me to handle a kimber ultra compact... think i made her blush with a 'thats so sexy' when i first got my mitts on it :3.  Didn't end up buying it, don't want a 1911 style for carry.

I feel the same about carry style 1911s. I wouldn't consider anything but government style ones.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 08:51:10 AM »
When you deny a sale how do you go about dealing with them (such as deescalating possible anger)? Do you not allow them the next time you see them since you suspected them of straw purchasing in the past? Hopefully Cabela's lets us know about these things, I would assume they would train us with that.

We have had people get angry, but never out of control. Having an entire staff that is armed generally keeps things polite.

In the scenario I gave above if the boyfriend were to come back with a purchase permit, then we would allow the sale, as we believed him to be the actual purchaser. Say the girlfriend were to come back by herself later and want to purchase the gun (this has happened), we would deny her as we have reason to believe that she is not the actual purchaser. Odds are we wont ever see them again after that.

Ive been on a number of felony warrants were the guns in possesion of felons and gang members were acquired this way. They have their girlfriends legally purchase them for later criminal use.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »
I'm not that familiar.  While I understand what a "Straw Purchase" is, I'm not sure how you catch it.  What do you look for?  Also, if you follow all of the ATF, state, and local requirements for firearms sales, how can they "catch you" selling to someone making a straw purchase?

Fly

If Eric Holder is the buyer, that's a clue.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 06:04:25 PM »
If Eric Holder is the buyer, that's a clue.  :)

:laugh:             :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:          :laugh:
 :laugh:             :laugh:       :laugh:        :laugh:
 :laugh: :laugh:        :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:          :laugh: :laugh:

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
We have had people get angry, but never out of control. Having an entire staff that is armed generally keeps things polite.

In the scenario I gave above if the boyfriend were to come back with a purchase permit, then we would allow the sale, as we believed him to be the actual purchaser. Say the girlfriend were to come back by herself later and want to purchase the gun (this has happened), we would deny her as we have reason to believe that she is not the actual purchaser. Odds are we wont ever see them again after that.

Ive been on a number of felony warrants were the guns in possesion of felons and gang members were acquired this way. They have their girlfriends legally purchase them for later criminal use.

- Shawn

Had a female in a interpersonal communications class ask me the usual "How do I buy a gun?" And after some discussion, it came up that her live in boyfriend was a felon. I discussed the legality blah blah blah, and eventually just told her that by choosing to live with a felon, she has waived her right to own a firearm. Even if it were fully legit, (she kept it locked away, didn't let him use it...) making her look like a straw purchaser would be an easy task for a first year law student.