< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Got a job  (Read 3038 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Got a job
« on: October 09, 2012, 05:14:40 PM »
Just got a call saying I got a job I applied for with the Cabela's gun counter in LaVista! Any FFL's have any advice for dealing with people wanting guns? For example any stories of people you refuse to sell to for possible safety concerns or any other weird stories?

I have been studying up on gun manufacturers that I am not as familiar with (sig, taurus, beretta) and think I have a pretty good idea of a lot of the different types of guns out there. Any odd questions customers ask that I should be prepared for? I know the difference between SA, DA, and DAO handguns. 2 Main types of semi-auto shotguns are inertia driven and gas systems (do most gas operated shotguns have a piston system or direct impingement?).

Thanks in advance! (I have a feeling this job won't end up making me any money)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Re: Got a job
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »
That's great!

Just from a customer's perspective:

My biggest piece of advice, if a customer asks you a question, don't bullguano them. If you don't know, tell them you aren't sure but would be happy to find out for them (aaaand google) I normally play stupid in gun shops, ecspecially cabelas or scheels, just to see what comes out of their mouths. Sometimes I don't have to play dumb, they just voluntarily vomit ignorance. (see my post about the difference between .223 and 5.56)

Be prepared for the worst gun handlers in the world, safety wise. Anyone who teaches CHP classes may be able to give you some tips on how to deal with that.

Talk to Dave or Thomas about how to help people select a pistol for fit. It's important, and most people have no idea how. I could give you a rough picture, but Dave or Thomas could go into much better detail and experience.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »
Congrats, its nice to see someone who is planning to sell guns retail ask advise!   As a customer of these stores, it annoys the HE&& out of me to see very poor and non-existent gun safety and gun handling skills.  I don't know how many times I've been handed an unchecked gun, had a gun pointed at me, and been swept repeatedly by the ignorant sales person.  You will be head & shoulders above your coworkers if you practice gun safety while at the gun counter! :)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »
And don't ever say that girls should only shoot .22s ;)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »
Congrats, its nice to see someone who is planning to sell guns retail ask advise!   As a customer of these stores, it annoys the HE&& out of me to see very poor and non-existent gun safety and gun handling skills.  I don't know how many times I've been handed an unchecked gun, had a gun pointed at me, and been swept repeatedly by the ignorant sales person.  You will be head & shoulders above your coworkers if you practice gun safety while at the gun counter! :)

+1 on what Julie said, but be prepared to be swept by the customer many, many...many times.  Also, plan to watch a few ignorant people point the gun you just handed them at their shopping partner (friend, husband, significant other, etc.) and say something stupid like "Make my day".  Working in customer service, you will just have to smile while you are screaming inside.   :o

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:56:32 PM »

Nearly every time I have been to Cabela's the person failed to check the gun. Every time I get one I check it, even when I watch them check it right in front of me, it has become a good habit.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:46:38 PM »
And don't ever say that girls should only shoot .22s ;)

ABSOLUTELY!  I will GO OFF on you if you do that! :)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 09:06:45 PM »
ABSOLUTELY!  I will GO OFF on you if you do that! :)

I thought every girl had to own a pink .38 or .380 !?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 09:34:21 AM »
I worked in a big box sporting goods store several years ago. Got lots of stories.

Don't get distracted once you hand a customer a firearm. Give them you're undivided attention. At a sister store, a customer walked off with a shotgun during a busy period, took a shell from a shelf and shot himself (on purpose).

Like others have already said, you'll see people do some really stupid stuff. Figure a lot of your customers only know what they've seen in the movies. The firearm you just handed them may be the first one they've ever held.

Most people are just looking. They may come back weeks to months later to finally make a purchase. You'll notice a lot of "regulars". Most of them will eventually buy something.

Some people will have already done their research and know exactly what they want. Some won't have a clue, and a lot are in between. Ask them a lot of questions about what they want to do with it. Sometimes what they think they want, isn't the best choice for what they want to do. Try to steer them towards something that would better meet their needs. Most people appreciate that. If they insist though, sell them what they want.

I did have one customer I wouldn't sell to. He came in near closing time and wanted to buy a muzzleloader. A brief chat determined he'd never fired a muzzleloader and intended to hunt deer with it the next morning. I have too much respect for the animals I hunt to let somebody do that. He tried to get me to sell him a bow and some arrows so he could hunt the next morning. Again, he had no experience with a bow. Again, I wouldn't sell it to him. Thinking about it later, I wondered if he had been legit or if it had been some kind of test.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 11:05:56 AM »
All of the above advice is spot on. I would add that you always be on the lookout for straw purchases. After more than a decade behind the counter Ive seen more that a few attempts. Cant prove it but we`re pretty sure that some were law enforcement stings trying to catch us slipping. If you have any doubt or even a bad feeling refuse the sale and send them elsewere.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 12:49:38 PM »
All of the above advice is spot on. I would add that you always be on the lookout for straw purchases. After more than a decade behind the counter Ive seen more that a few attempts. Cant prove it but we`re pretty sure that some were law enforcement stings trying to catch us slipping. If you have any doubt or even a bad feeling refuse the sale and send them elsewere.

- Shawn

I'm not that familiar.  While I understand what a "Straw Purchase" is, I'm not sure how you catch it.  What do you look for?  Also, if you follow all of the ATF, state, and local requirements for firearms sales, how can they "catch you" selling to someone making a straw purchase?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 12:58:18 PM »
I'm not that familiar.  While I understand what a "Straw Purchase" is, I'm not sure how you catch it.  What do you look for?  Also, if you follow all of the ATF, state, and local requirements for firearms sales, how can they "catch you" selling to someone making a straw purchase?

Fly

I am also curious what indications you look for.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 01:26:33 PM »
They catch you by setting it up. Here is an obvious scenario, one that we have seen numerous times.

Two customers walk in, lets say boyfriend, girlfriend. Boyfriend starts looking at guns asks several questions about it, handles it, says this looks good I`ll take it. Sales person brings over the paperwork and boyfriend hands the sales person the money and then the paperwork to the girlfriend for her to fill out. We explain that he was the person obviously looking at the gun and he will have to fill it out and show a purchase permit. This is were he wont have one and argue that the girlfriend does and its really for her. They are sent out the door after explaining to them what a straw purchase is.

If we were to allow that purchase we could be violating the law. The BATFE has and will send agents into gun stores and attempt straw purchase stings.

We were trained that as a salesperson you only have to have a "suspicion" of a straw purchase and should deny the sale.

Some indications aren't so obvious and aren't something I'm going to discuss on a public forum. But you have to watch your a$$. If in doubt, deny the sale. This is something your management should never second guess you on.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 01:40:32 PM »
It normally requires more than one person present. Like a buyer and his buddy.

The easy version is the person filling out the paperwork isn't the one paying for it. They can be tricky that way. That's how they got the guy at the Bellevue True Value. They set him up. He didn't catch them passing the money.

Also, pay attention to the buyer's conversation with his "friends". They may say something that sounds suspicious.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
One last piece of advice;  Make me a Smell of a deal on the pair of Ruger Vaqueros in the case. ;)  Got my eye on a rifle, too.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 05:08:52 PM »
Well then wouldn't a parent bringing their kid in to pick out his/her first gun technically be a straw purchase? I know the difference, but the law can be pretty vague...

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »
Well then wouldn't a parent bringing their kid in to pick out his/her first gun technically be a straw purchase? I know the difference, but the law can be pretty vague...

Your right, the law can be vague, but in this instance the parent is the actual purchaser and can loan the gun to a minor under their supervision, so that is fine. You can gift a gun to someone who can legally posses it, but you have to be the actual purchaser.

We have had people answer 'no' to that question on the 4473, believe it or not. Sale denied.

Straw purchases, if done right, cant be detected. Fortunately, many felons aren't that bright.

As a seller I'm going to watch my back. If a truly innocent gun buyer (unknown to us) says or does something unintentional and makes me feel uncomfortable about the sale, I'm always going to err on the side of covering my butt. Sale denied.

- Shawn
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:47:23 PM by sjwsti »

www.88tactical.com

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
My wife has bought several guns and I am the one stuck paying for them. Fortunately we have never been denied the sale. I guess that being denied a sale once by any gun shop would be the last time we shopped there, and yet I understand their stance on it too.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »
When you deny a sale how do you go about dealing with them (such as deescalating possible anger)? Do you not allow them the next time you see them since you suspected them of straw purchasing in the past? Hopefully Cabela's lets us know about these things, I would assume they would train us with that.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »
Don't do it alone!