< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska's Best Coyote Calling Contest  (Read 3846 times)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Nebraska's Best Coyote Calling Contest
« on: October 18, 2012, 06:28:17 PM »
Had 48 teams last year, cash prizes for 1st-6th place, tough luck, odd animal, and door prizes for everyone else. The admins of this event do an excellent job to prevent cheating with non-invasive methods.

There will be a Olympic Arms AR on the prize table this year, and Hornady is stepping up their donations as well. If anyone is interested in donating prizes, shoot me a PM or email wallace11bravo@yahoo.com

I'll be hosting a dryfire hunting marksmanship workshop during sign in and will be helping out with check in the next day. My brother-in-law is the one that puts it on, so I'll be helping out, as well as donating a few shirts and a steel target or two for the prize table.

The website is still under construction:

http://nebraskacoyote.com/

Facebook event:

http://www.facebook.com/events/247079692035598/

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Nebraska's Best Coyote Calling Contest
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:04:28 PM »
Wallace11Bravo

Absolutely Great Idea.......and Event

Now.....How does it work?   Do You........

>Call in Real Coyotes and get points for closest called in, or what?

>Have a Buncha Grizzled Ol' Guys in camos sit around on Judges' Panel and vote, like at a Duck Calling Contest??

>Keep a Captive Pack-Panel of Tame Coyotes that Howl Loudest for the Winner???

>Award Different points for Dogs, *****es, and Pups?

Couldn't figger it out how it works from the website.    Like.....there's teams?   Calling teams?   [Anything that helps toward putting a coyote down has got to be good.]

Heck, out on the deer stand, I'll put down a stray coyote every time and then worry about getting Bambi later.

So---How does it do?    What's the drill on this event??

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »
2 man teams are released on Friday night after sign in, and come back in for check in on Saturday night with whatever they got. You can go where you want, as long as it is legal. G&P sends an officer there who gives a safety brief before release, and reminds folks about trespassing laws.

Last year's anti-cheating methods: (subject to change)
-Coyotes are temp-checked
-Must have time stamped photo of shooter and 'yote from time of kill (cell phone)
-MUST BE A TEAM (no individuals)

Compared to other contests that I talked to some of the hunters about, where people just go home and drag 47 coyotes out of the freezer, this one is well known for having no-bullguano admins that do an excellent job of interdicting on cheating (last year, a team that was well known for cheating at other comps, quit and asked for their money back after they heard about temp checking).

Prizes:
1st-6th Places - Cash
Tough Luck (no yotes but still showed up to check in)
Crazy Critter (strange animal)
Heaviest Coyote

Numbers are king, but weights are used to break ties and there is a prize for heaviest coyote. Winning team had 6 yotes last year, odd animal prize went to a porcupine (I had no idea we even had those in Nebraska), and everyone that showed up to check in got at least a door prize. Tough luck prize was a set of harris bipods donated by yours truly.

There were a total of 60 something coyotes, 2 bobcats, a giant coon, a skunk, 2 badgers, and a porcupine. A fur buyer is on site and paying generously at check in (and you are welcome to bring furs that are not from the contest).

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 01:31:58 AM »
Alllllllllllll Riiiiiiiiiggghhhhtttttttt!!!!!!!!!

Now that's a piece of Fun!

I'm gonna trap and cage my coyotes from here to January and feed them on Eukanuba Beef-n'-Chicken Kibbles.   Hope they don't get too fat.    Bring 'em up to Broken Bow in a horse trailer on January 4; shoot 'em through the day on January 5, and win that Olympic Arms AR Big Time. 

Might just haul an armadillo up from Oklahoma for the Crazy Critter.   Win the Daily Double.

Could shoot 'em first and freeze 'em.   Anybody got a microwave enough big enough to fit a coyote??

It sounds like you have Sumthin' Goin'.

sfg  PS - Porcupines run all along the Niobrara Valley.   They'll girdle a tree top in a New York minute.    And give your dog a big surprise, too.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:34:18 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 01:57:23 PM »
Change of plans:

The OA rifle will be raffled off with all proceeds going to the NRA.

Offline BluejayLaw14

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »
How was the event? I would have liked to go, but was in South Dakota pheasant and coyote hunting.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »
68 teams this year, and pretty good results.

The Raffle raised $570 for the NRA-ILA, the other half was put into a bank account for next years competition.