< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 300 blackout ammo sighting??  (Read 3289 times)

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
300 blackout ammo sighting??
« on: October 18, 2012, 07:31:27 PM »
Any body in the Omaha area see any 300 blackout in the gun stores?  Just got a build completed and would like to buy a few local boxes to test this rifle out.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: 300 blackout ammo sighting??
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 09:26:50 PM »
i don't know of any.  i know Rob in Exeter has a few boxes, but charges a high price, especially for subsonic.  the ammo i have was bought from PSA with free shipping.  i've been looking for 300BLK in local stores and keep asking about it, but no one stocks it as i know of.  you could always roll your own, thats what a lot of peeps do (but not me).  i need to shoot my 300BLK upper more.....
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:47:07 PM »
Online is probably your best bet.  I haven't seen it locally yet, although as popular as it is I'm sure it will be on shelves soon.  I load all of mine, including forming the brass from 5.56.  I would order some online to get started, but if you don't already reload this is a good way to get into it.  You can buy formed 300 cases for pretty cheap, and it's a fairly cheap and easy caliber to reload.  Using pulled surplus .308 bullets makes it really cheap.

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 09:34:46 AM »
Thanks guys.  I would like to reload it but pretty much blew my wad on making the rifle.  Need to buy the dies, have everything else including a ton of 5.56 brass. Have enough to buy a few boxes and don't want to eat alot up in shipping with only buying a small amount of ammo.  Cabelas sells it, so may order online from them and have it shipped to their store for pickup.

Bkoenig,
What load are you using for bullets and powder?  What is you rifle bbl length?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 12:09:46 PM »
For supersonic plinking loads I use pulled fmj 147 grain surplus bullets and 17 grains of H110, seated to an OAL of 2.050.  My hunting load is a 110 grain vmax and 20 grains of H110, OAL is 2.040.  I need to order some of the Barnes TSX bullets, they're supposed to be great for hunting.  I'm still working up a subsonic load, but I'm using a 245 grain cast bullet and Reloader 7.  It's accurate enough but I'm still trying to figure out the optimum length for reliable feeding with the big bullet.

My gun has a 10.5" barrel and the suppressor is 9" long.  With the can mounted it's still about an inch shorter than a full size A2 rifle.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:11:58 PM by bkoenig »

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 12:43:24 PM »
Was at Cabelas in La Vista today at lunch time. they had 8 boxes of Winchester 220gr Blackout on the shelf for $19.99 per box. Did not catch the item number.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »
Thanks Kozball.

I called them (cabelas) this morning around 10 and the guys said they didn't have any.  I think he just put the phone down for a few mins.  Then I called guns unlimited and the guy at the counter said he never heard of 300 blackout so they wouldn't have it in stock.

bkoenig,
Thanks for the load data.  It confirms a lot of what I've been getting on line for info for the 147gr bullets.  When I get to reloading it I will drop a grain and start from there.  Taken any game with your vmax yet?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 05:01:42 PM »
Not yet.  I've heard conflicting info about the vmax for white tail, but for the most part it seems it works ok at the blackout's velocities.

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 07:52:24 AM »
Yeah that was my initial thought when I saw your bullet choice but at 2000fps it may not explode like they do at .308 or '06 velocities.  I think the 125gr Nosler ballistic tip would be right up a deer size alley within 150 yards.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »
If you want reasonable prices, check out Cheaper Than Dirt Ammo online.  They have pretty good deals and a wide selection in .300 AAC Blackout......
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story