< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 1976 Ruger M77  (Read 1834 times)

Offline pt3d

• Forum Member
1976 Ruger M77
« on: October 22, 2012, 11:08:06 PM »
I am looking to purchase this from a guy at work for $450 (down from $550 asking price).  He's also throwing in a box of Remington ammo.  It is .270 chamber and has "200th year of Liberty" or something like that inscribed on the barrel, hence the year 1976.  I was wondering if this is a decent price for the rifle.

Wooden stock looks to be OK, there's a few dings but didn't notice any cracks.  It also has a BSA scope on it (don't remember the model, but the look out end is twice as big as the look into end...)

I was contemplating something in either .270 or .308 for all around deer/boar hunting.

He says it's pretty accurate shooting. Can cover the holes from 100 yds with a quarter.
From researching on the internet, it seems that Ruger barrel accuracy around this time period was pretty sketchy.

I've looked at new Ruger American and their going for around 399.  The polymer stock just doesn't feel right compared with a wooden one.

This is my first rifle purchase so what do you think?  Also, what other things should I be keeping an eye out for?

Thanks!

Patrick T

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: 1976 Ruger M77
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 06:36:02 AM »
Seems an awful lot for what you describe.  The inscription means nothing i.e. not collectable as it has been shot, and the scope really has no value.  I would insist on 1) shooting it to determine accuracy and 2) taking the stock off.
www.gunbroker.com is always a decent reference
That being said .270 a good choice for what you're wanting to do with it.