< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Educating our youth  (Read 2065 times)

Offline TracyW

• Forum Member
Educating our youth
« on: April 01, 2009, 02:53:09 PM »
Could we get some kind of class together for young people and their parents?
A course in firearms and talking to young ones about guns.
I would think that since we are taking it upon ourselves to be nebraska Firearms Owners, we may have a little bit of responsibility to educate the people who may want to be educated.

I see many young adults who have such a bad taste about guns that they are set in their ways and are very ignorant about "guns".

Just a random thought here.

Thanks

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Educating our youth
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:56:19 PM »
Tracy,  Welcome to the Forum.

Ever been to a high school trapshooting event? Dozens of kids and their parent are there shootin up a storm. Nebraska has the premier youth trapshooting program in the country, and our kids have won several national championships. I have a great time helping them learn to compete safely.

As far as organized firearms education, that is a goal the NFOA has on its future agenda, and we are always open to members volunteering their time and effort to help get these things done.

Also, take a look at the events calendar on the NFOA homepage. I know you will find many events offered for youth shooting, especially Air pistols and rifles, as well as introductory classes in firearms handling.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline TracyW

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »
Hi Dan,
Ive actually been a member for a while. Have posted a couple of tiems and thats about it. Anyhow, thanks for the Welcome.
I knew there was trap shooting, I did not know how big it was. I dont do any trap shooting so its something I dont follow.
But, that is good to know it is happening.

I guess my thoughts were along the lines of people who are not around firearms regularly. I am glad it is on the agenda of the NFOA. VERY GOOD!!

I will do what I can to help out though.

Thanks again Dan!

Tracy

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 10:03:24 PM »
I am "certified" by the State 4-H  organization to teach air rifle/.22 rifle ..... if you are interested, I'll be running a class sometime this summer for .22 rifle (and archery, too) for kids in our club...... we have had "independents" join us before......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline TracyW

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:06:23 PM »
Im a kid at heart. :D
I do not have any kids of my own and was curious to know what we could do for the youth and their maybe anti gun parents.

Thanks Jim

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:07:41 PM »
Our club would love any donations of rimfire ammo!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »
Jim, Where do you operate out of?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 10:05:51 PM »
Murray, Nebraska. Cass County.    Club's name is 4-H Believers.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 10:45:10 PM »
What's the deal with NRA's Eddie Eagle?  Do you need to get certified for that?

I think it would be good if NFOA members could teach the Eddie Eagle program to cub scouts, girl scouts, 4H, church youth groups, etc.  It would be great if a school assembly would do it, but I doubt they'd let gun safety (OH NOEZ!) to be taught in schools.
NRA Life Member.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 06:56:21 AM »
I just recieved a packet regarding Eddie Eagle from the NRA. I haven't had time to look at it real good yet though. I'll get back to you later on the details. I don't believe there is any certification...But I could be wrong.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »
I got the paperwork for becoming a Nebraska Hunter Safety Instructor..... now to find the TIME!