< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Elk hunting in Colorado?  (Read 2003 times)

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
Elk hunting in Colorado?
« on: October 31, 2012, 08:14:25 PM »
Here is a question for you elk hunters.

Do any of you carry a handgun concealed or non while hunting elk in Colorado? I have read that many hunters do.

bigdog
bigdog

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Elk hunting in Colorado?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 11:19:41 PM »
I personally haven't been there hunting but it would be a good idea. Never know when you might find yourself between a momma black bear and her cubs.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:57:54 AM »
if i could, i would.  just make sure its legal there.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 07:40:21 AM »
You bet. Make sure you have a light but comfortable rig... they get heavy in elk country. Whether it is concealed or not kind of depends on what I'm wearing and the situation. I tend to add and shed layers throughout the morning/day, and you don't really want it buried under a parka and bibs when you need it.

I tried a drop holster a few years ago, but it was didn't fit very well. I may give that another shot at some point.

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »
Is the only reason a person would carry a handgun while hunting elk is for a finish shot? I have never hunting Colorado/ mountain areas and I am just curious.
bigdog

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »
"Finish shots" with a handgun can land you in an awful lot of trouble. Unless it is a legal weapon to hunt with, you would have technically taken the game illegally.

I carry in the mountains because of the coyotes, bears, wolves, mountain lions, etc. Standard defense is another reason guys carry up there. Believe it or not, I've run into some really sketchy people at 11,000 ft in wilderness areas.

Some guys also carry just in case they want to shoot around on a slow afternoon.

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 07:49:35 PM »
"Finish shots" with a handgun can land you in an awful lot of trouble. Unless it is a legal weapon to hunt with, you would have technically taken the game illegally.

I carry in the mountains because of the coyotes, bears, wolves, mountain lions, etc. Standard defense is another reason guys carry up there. Believe it or not, I've run into some really sketchy people at 11,000 ft in wilderness areas

Some guys also carry just in case they want to shoot around on a slow afternoon.
A lot of good reasons listed.  Thanks

bigdog
bigdog