< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My .410/45 Colt H&R Survivor Shotgun  (Read 1808 times)

Offline muleshemi

• Forum Member
My .410/45 Colt H&R Survivor Shotgun
« on: November 06, 2012, 09:19:14 PM »
Doesn't eject the shell or spent casing after firing and opening the barrel.
Apart from contacting the nearest authorized repair center, Which is in MN.
What would you guys do?
The .410 shells pop out just enough to pull just enough the shell out with a pair of pliers, Its not real tight but enough that it doesn't automatically eject. The .45 though needs to be pushed out, I used a cleaning rod through the front of the barrel to get it out. Need a little tap to pop it out.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/ShotgunsAndRifles/survivor.asp

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
Re: My .410/45 Colt H&R Survivor Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:24:27 PM »
What type of ammunition are you running?  I've heard of non-US brand 410 shells sticking in certain firearms because of thinner casing walls... is there a recommended brand of ammo that works?

Offline muleshemi

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 01:32:55 AM »
Not to my knowledge. Ive used a couple brands of 410 shells the latest being remington. and the 45 colt being horniday rounds.

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »
I used to have a Handi rifle in .223 that did the same thing if I didn't open it "with a purpose".  I'm not saying you have to attempt to snap the thing in half but open it with the intent of opening it and see how that works for you.

Offline muleshemi

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »
yup, tried that. If I open it slow the 410 shells dont move at all, "with a purpose" and they pop just enough I can use a pair of pliers to grip the lip of the shell and pull it out no problem.

The only way i can get the .45s out is a gentle tap with a cleaning rod.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 01:43:22 PM »
Not for sure about your particular firearm, but some Break actions are built to only pull the round from the chamber, not 'Eject' it.  I know that's how my Coach gun is and any shotgun used in SASS has to be that way. 
That being said, a Rossi youth we had would not move the .22 at all and took and little lube and working the ejector to remedy. 
I will take note next time I take my H&Rs out. 
My $,02 for whatever it's worth.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »
How clean is your chamber?  If it has some build up in there that could cause some sticking.  I would think the .410 would be more of an issue since it is longer and plastic than the .45colt being shorter and brass. Any signs of excess pressure on the .45 brass when it's fired?

How strong is the extractor/ejector when the gun is opened on an empty chamber?  If it doesn't make a good strong audible click when you open it on an empty chamber then it certainly wouldn't have enough oomph to kick a spent cartridge out.  The HRs I've used are designed to be an ejector so I would check it out empty.  If it is the extractor/ejector that is sticky spray some degreaser in there to clean it out and then a little bit of lube. Other than that you may need to have a new or stronger spring put in.  Unlikely but possible you have a really tight chamber also.