< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course  (Read 4710 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course
« on: November 07, 2012, 04:04:39 PM »
So-----Is there any interest among any Newbies or Non-Reloaders on this Forum for a Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course in the Omaha area???

I'm talking about the basic NRA Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course.   Starts out something like, a cartridge has four components:   Case, Powder, Bullet, Primer.

Really Basic Stuff.   Just to get the Hesitant started in reloading.

Met a Guy at the range the other day.   He said, "I learned reloading from YouTube."   Worked for him.   Didn't need a class.   But maybe some folks do.

I'm thinking of a small class, maybe 5 people.   Load some pistol stuff, say.....9mm.   Nice, shiny cases.   Moderate loads:   4.+gr. Win231.   Some 115-124gr gilded Berrysbullets.   Make 'em' and shoot 'em.

Your comments are invited.

sfg
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:24:25 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:10:37 PM »
I picked up my reloading skills from reading, youtube (manufacturer's how to setup machines, basic process, etc.... as well as more advanced stuff submitted by joe schmoes), and just thinking about the whole process.

There's been a guy on craigslist wanting someone's help (and apparently willing to pay)... and... it would seem that there have been plenty of questions around here from people that want to learn or understand more about what's going on.

I think the idea of a class is a great idea, personally.  I dunno if there's any $$$ to be made in it, but as a community support thing, it's definitely a great idea.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 04:48:48 PM »
I would have been interested a year ago. I found someone local who got me started, and took off from there using the precision hand-loading guide on SH. If I come across anyone, I'll point them in your direction.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »
 I want to start, but i'm not in a situation financially right now to dive in. I'll keep it in mind.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 05:30:10 PM »
As a business prospective, it's kinda not so great.  Once ya teach people who to load their own, they'll go on their way.  No 'repeat customers' as it were.

Granted, you can have a few different versions of the class... generic pistol, generic rifle, competition pistol, competition rifle... but I'd venture anyone who gets the 'generic' done will automatically start reading more about fine tuned ammo and such... and experimenting on their own... making the competition grade ammo classes moot. 

If there was some way to roll this into some kind of workshop at some semi-frequently "gun event", that'd be awesome.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »
Also, I will second the small class size of 5 people or less.  If these folks are going to get load their own 10-50 rounds to shoot, having a tiny class so that you can watch their powder charges and seating depth like a hawk is a great idea.  Don't need any over pressure or bore obstruction problems occurring.

I'll assume SFG has a rock chucker of some sort ... for a class or something, picking up a lee press or a turret press or something as well for demonstrating different presses might not be a bad idea.  Still a $100-$150 initial outlay on your part, though.  Showing how an 'economy grade' press works seems like a possible option for those who don't wanna spend the $500-$1200 to get started.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 07:55:21 PM »
Paragon Training Systems............

is a modest little operation with which I'm in cahoots.   Its mainstream thrust is continuing education in the building trades.

I'm helping my two partners branch into firearms training.   They got so enthusiastic that they bought a complete RCBS reloading kit, with most of the accoutrements [you never get ALL the accoutrements in reloading gear.  Always one more gadget to buy and fiddle with.]

I don't want to make any money in reloading [For verification, I just completed a CHP class of 24 newbies on Sunday.   Gave the entire proceeds to my gun club to improve the club.  My pay was in the joy of meeting and teaching shooters.]

Budget for what I have in mind would be something like:

Hornady Reloading Manual             $30
                Materials                                          20

Total                                  $50

which shouldn't break the bank for anyone.

So that's the story.

And Youtube does a pretty good job, as well, provided you skip over the few Yahooooooos.

sfg
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:26:54 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 08:10:53 PM »
ammosmith on youtube tends to a decent job.  just realize that any of the advanced topics he discusses is prolly out of your league until you've been reloading for a year or five hehehe.

re: hornady reloading manual

I was going to voice a concern over pushing one reloading manual over the rest ... but...

I like my Hornady manual, I really do.  I like my Speer's manual as well.  There was another one I thumbed through but found it lacking... can't recall which.  Pushing Hornady, since it seems to be a decent book... and by a local company... I guess I can't complain.

Forcing them to buy a manual is also awesome in that it sends them home with a wealth of information.

re: materials

$20 in materials fee sounds fine.  Lighting some powder on fire to show what it does, hitting a primer with a hammer, etc.  Destroying a case or two on purpose, or possibly denting one and then showing how to 'repair it'.  Bullet pullers demonstration (kinetic hammer i suppose)... etc.  And if they get to make a full box of 50 rounds - then $20 in materials might seem easier to swallow.

I kept a couple of my failed inspection brass.  I'll hand them over when we meet up for the great brass caper :D.  I don't have any rifle brass to demonstrate head separation or head/web bulge failures though.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 08:37:26 PM »
Tell Hornady your plans, maybe they will donate a manual and some supplies.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 10:02:54 PM »
SFG I have been thinking about starting to reload so I would be interested.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 03:14:38 PM »
Talked with SFG a bit about it today.  Was a pleasure to meet in person.

I'd gladly sit in on the class as a sounding board or extra pair of watchful eyes or whatever is deemed necessary.

Our approaches to the class are definitely different hehehe.  His is prolly more friendly and gun-ho, mine was a fair bit of info up front heh.  I think his initial approach is definitely better.  It can be done safely, demonstrates stuff easily, and then can get into the nitty gritty details later if need be :).  My approach was more like a lecture heh.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 11:05:19 PM »
As indicated in November, Unfy and I..............

are going to offer a 9mm pistol metallic cartridge reloading clinic sometime this month at the Paragon Training Center in Papillion, NE.

We're thinking maybe five (5) newbie, neophyte reloaders in attendance at a nominal cost of, say.......$20/person.   More for fun than profit.    The proceeds will be plowed right back into more equipment and stuff for the next clinic session.

We're thinking of starting out 6-6:30pm first evening, going until 9:00pm or so.   Seeing how far we get first night and then probably picking up again the next evening.

Comments from the Forum are invited, including anyone who is interested.   If we get 3-5 people, we'll hold it.   If we get oversubscribed on the first one, we'll do another one.

So there you are.   You are welcome to pass the word.

sfg

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 07:36:28 AM »
Depending on when, I would be interested.  Are you still planning on handing out the Hornady book?  I thought $50 per person was reasonable enough, if you got the book and a box to shoot as well as some basic knowledge on how to not make rounds go Kaboom.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 08:12:08 AM »
Neeco:

Upon reflection, rather than push any one reloading manual, it seems like a better idea to mention some good ones during the clinic and let the users make their own choice.   And purchase.   Also, good idea to have more than one reloading manual; no one manual is complete.

Present thinking is to hold the reloading clinic first night on either Monday, January 14 or Monday, January 21 [MLK Day].    Sorta depends on availability of Forum attendees.  Start at 6-6:30pm; go 'til 9pm or so.   Continue for a while the next evening, if needed.

So there you have it.   Anyone interested can reply through this Forum or by pm.

Safety Glasses are a must  [Not regular reading glasses.]

Cost is $20.    [Customer must be convinced of value received, or no charge.]

sfg

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 08:21:41 AM »
SFG count me in, I will try to juggle my schedual for whenever it is.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 08:45:43 AM »
OK, Andy...........

You are the First Firm Commitment to the reloading clinic.

You'll get a seat in the Front Row.

Looks like both dates [Jan. 14 or Jan 21] will work for you.   Let's lean toward Jan. 14 and see what happens.

sfg

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 09:21:15 AM »
Add me to the list, Thanks.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 09:25:18 AM »
Either date works for me, so count me in.

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
OK, Andy...........

You are the First Firm Commitment to the reloading clinic.

You'll get a seat in the Front Row.

Looks like both dates [Jan. 14 or Jan 21] will work for you.   Let's lean toward Jan. 14 and see what happens.

sfg

Unfortunately, I will be in class during those time frames on both dates (and every Monday of the quarter).

I will have to back out and wait for the next one (hopefully your first class is a success).

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »
OK........Here We Go:

Metallic Cartridge Reloading Clinic:
Caliber:           9mm
Day/Date:      Monday evening, January 14, 2013   [May continue to next evening, as well.]
Time:              6:15pm
Location:        Paragon Training Center, 731 N. Frontier, Suite #1   Papillion, NE
                               [Clear, specific directions to PTC will be given once class list fills up.]

Class List So Far:
1)   Andy Allen
2)   kozball
3)   whatsit
4)   ???
5)   ???

More to Come.

sfg/unfy