< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 06:01:07 PM »
Count me in

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 09:19:37 PM »
Mudnrox:

Per Your Request............

OK........Here We Go:

Metallic Cartridge Reloading Clinic:

Caliber:           9mm
Day/Date:      Monday evening, January 14, 2013   [May continue to next evening, as well.]
Time:              6:15pm
Location:        Paragon Training Center, 731 N. Frontier, Suite #1   Papillion, NE
                               [Clear, specific directions to PTC will be given once class list fills up.]

Class List So Far:
1)   Andy Allen
2)   kozball
3)   whatsit
4)   Mudnrox

5)   ???

One More Member, this Session Will be Fully Subscribed:

sfg/unfy
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 07:35:35 PM »
OK........Latest--and Final--Status:

Metallic Cartridge Reloading Clinic:
Caliber:           9mm
Day/Date:      Monday evening, January 14, 2013   [May continue to next evening, as well.]
Time:              6:15pm
Location:        Paragon Training Center, 731 N. Frontier, Suite #1   Papillion, NE

Final Class List:
1)   Andy Allen
2)   kozball
3)   whatsit
4)   Mudnrox
5)   Abbafandr

So....The January 14 session has filled up at this point.    Next session is Monday, January 21.   None planned after that date at this time.   We'll see how it goes.

I'll pm the above folks w/some specific information.
[DONE:  All pm's are now sent.]

sfg/unfy
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:36:07 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 06:41:20 PM »
To cross post a comment from the reloading subforum and how infectious reloading is...

Just what we need, infectious zombies that make their own ammo.

>:D
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 06:16:30 PM »
If anyone is willing to teach in the Lincoln area, I need a mentor.  I bought the Hornady AP Lock and Load kit from scheels today and have been reading the manual.  I shoot 5.56 and .40 cal.  I will simply try to learn on the 223 first but really, I don't know squat about reloading.  It just seems that as much as I shoot it will eventually save me money and then there is the possibility of limited ammunition availability either by the influx of new shooters or legislative restrictions.  I have wanted to start for a few years, but now seems to be the time.
Anyway, anyone share their knowledge in the Lincoln area?   
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 12:07:37 PM »
in for the next one, with a possible + 2 from work. I'll have em post replies to this

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 11:18:52 PM »
Clinic appears to have gone well from what I saw.... with possibly the exception of my oopsie of using the wrong shell holder causing a few min of torment for myself heh.

If attendees have any questions, feel free to bug SFG or myself and we'll do our best to help out.

If there's anything you felt the clinic was missing or you would have liked, be sure to let us know.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 11:26:39 PM »
Oh, for students at the clinic...

I did forget to mention that the vibrating tumbler such as what Ken has brought in is one of the easiest methods of case cleaning (and cost effective).  Especially if you're doing primarily only plinking rounds.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 08:31:06 AM »
As a student in the class I wish to say well done.  I have thought about reloading for a long time now but never been around it so I had no idea about safety, what was needed or the basic process.  Leaving the class I feel that I can now look at the various pieces of equipment on the market and make informed decisions about what i need and feel comfortable in starting to reload without blowing myself up, at least not until I decide to release the mad scientist in me. :)

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 08:48:07 AM »
I was there  :o We had a total of 5 students, SemperFiGuy, and the mad scientist, Unfy.

Overall, I felt the class went very well. Was taught at the very basic level with a commom caliber and a very conservative load. Everyone got to take their own brass and complete every process to complete 10 rounds. Used the RCBS Rock Chucker single stage with decapper/ sizer, then neck expand, then hand prime, then powder charge and bullet seating. Used some calipers to measure various dimensions during the process. Hands-on experience with a couple of oops. We all got to see what could go wrong and how to correct.

Discussed the various types of equipment that could be used and some of the differences of powders, bullets, and reloading books.

Everyone left with all their fingers, 10 fresh rounds of 9mm, and new found knowledge.

I would recomend this class to anyone that is thinking of reloading. The information that was covered and the hands-on feel and experience makes it worth the $20 donation. Kinda like test driving a car, now you know how it drives.

Koz
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 09:34:05 AM »
Sorry I missed it. Keep us posted when the next one will be.  Thanks
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »
The reloading clinic was a most enjoyable event for me last night.

>Got to meet five Loyal NFOA shooter-members.   Meeting Gun Guys is always great stuff.

>Got to work with UNFY, which is a prime professional privilege.

>Got five more folks started into reloading, which will (a) save them money and (b) keep them out of bars in the evening.   A very Positive Double Whammy Outcome.

>Nobody asked for their money back.    [So I'll probably use it to buy a decent electronic powder scale or a better hand priming tool.]

The event was one of those in the category of the Most Fun You Can Have Without Wimmen.

sfg

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:41:23 PM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 09:46:46 AM »
I was also one of the students. Good job SemperFiGuy and Unfy. The hands-on part of the class was great. The other great part was learning some of the terminology. For instance, if someone told me that I need to de-prime, bell, and re-prime the case, I would be lost -- much less would I know how to do those steps. From a total re-loading newbie's perspective, that was great and I feel much more informed. It was a unique and very-useful class.

It was also great to meet some of you in person and I look forward to seeing you again, sometime.

Now, I just need to save up for a press (maybe progressive??) and carve out a whole bunch of time so I can get addicted to something else, now.  :-\  ;D

Thanks again guys!

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 05:50:35 PM »
I was there  :o We had a total of 5 students, SemperFiGuy, and the mad scientist, Unfy.

Overall, I felt the class went very well. Was taught at the very basic level with a commom caliber and a very conservative load. Everyone got to take their own brass and complete every process to complete 10 rounds. Used the RCBS Rock Chucker single stage with decapper/ sizer, then neck expand, then hand prime, then powder charge and bullet seating. Used some calipers to measure various dimensions during the process. Hands-on experience with a couple of oops. We all got to see what could go wrong and how to correct.

Discussed the various types of equipment that could be used and some of the differences of powders, bullets, and reloading books.

Everyone left with all their fingers, 10 fresh rounds of 9mm, and new found knowledge.

I would recomend this class to anyone that is thinking of reloading. The information that was covered and the hands-on feel and experience makes it worth the $20 donation. Kinda like test driving a car, now you know how it drives.

Koz

I was there also and agree

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »
I thought the class was well worth the donation, and I highly recommend it to anyone thinking about reloading or even if you are not wanting to reload, but just want to understand what goes into making a loaded round.

It is nice to learn from the experience of others on what to do and what not to do (unfy).

I look forward to creating many 9mm rounds.

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 09:36:39 PM »
I just had a brilliant idea? Does anybody want to stop over and learn how to trim rifle cases!  Just kidding. Good job to those who put this class on for those interested!

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
It is nice to learn from the experience of others on what to do and what not to do (unfy).

Hehehe.

Meticulousness and paying attention to detail is important.... as illustrated :)

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2013, 06:35:35 PM »
is this still on for monday ?

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2013, 06:45:28 PM »
it was an either this past monday or this coming monday, not both afaik....

i dunno when next class will be ?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2013, 07:58:33 PM »
Well.......

Right now there's so much buzz over the Million Shooter March in Lincoln, it's probably hard to get anybody's attention for another 9mm reloading class.

However, from what I saw at Guns Unlimited for the past two days, reloading spent brass may be the only way anyone is ever going to get any more 9mm ammunition.   The shelves at GU are CLEAN of 9mm.   Swept totally clean.

And..........the handgun cases [both new and used] at GU had only about 50% of their usual inventory.    Some the leftover guns are not the creme de la creme, either.

Now is definitely not the time to buy handguns.   Not much selection.   Prices are soaring.    Maybe it's a good time to drag out all of our Old Orphans and Clunkers and put them up for auction.

Even the Gunbroker.com stuff is getting bids.

Back to 9mm Handloading Class:   If there's demand, we'll do it again.
Make Unfy work hard, this time.

sfg