< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Mec 600JR Mark5 Die Conversion 12ga -> 10ga ?  (Read 979 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Mec 600JR Mark5 Die Conversion 12ga -> 10ga ?
« on: November 09, 2012, 06:01:35 PM »
I've got a MEC 600 JR Mark 5 that I currently use for 12ga 3 inch shells.  I'm quite happy with it.

I've recently picked up a 10ga side by side that can swallow 3.5" shells.

I see that there are die conversion things to swap out what gauge the mec 600 jr works on.

These seem to run about $80.

New presses run around $190.

Is it worth bothering with a die conversion kit ? Is it a pain in the ass ?  Also, I note there doesn't seem to be anything in the conversion kit for changing the height of the ram stuffs etc ... so... I'd have to drill out holes in the press support rod thing to gimme 3.5" (assuming it's long enough, that is) ??

Any thoughts ?  10 gauge, anyone ?
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Mec 600JR Mark5 Die Conversion 12ga -> 10ga ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:51:16 PM »
Spent the day failing to find some 00buck in 10ga.  GU, Cabela's, Scheels, BH, BPS, all de nada.

Prices online are obscene, but... I do wanna give this thing a nice test fire.  Need to decide if to make it an investment style gun or if to go on with plans to chop it down eventually etc.

Means doing a bunch of price checking online for a 10ga fixed choke 30" sxs, then deciding what to do heh.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Mec 600JR Mark5 Die Conversion 12ga -> 10ga ?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:27:31 PM »
Meh, apparently these things can't handle steel that well (both barrels being full choke fixed).

Zambala Spain, Richland Arms Model 710/711.  32" 10ga side by side.  Apparent value is between $450 and $700.  Guess it'll be used as an eventual NFA SBS later after I get all the paper work / money for stamp etc together to make it like I want it heh.

As far as the press stuff is concerned, yeah... that'll be another $180-$280 setup ... which means it'll prolly be well into next year before I ever get to even test fire the thing :(.