< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 55 grain to a 40 grain 22.250  (Read 2752 times)

Offline bigmountainskiercfg

• Forum Member
55 grain to a 40 grain 22.250
« on: November 11, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »
I have been shooting a 55 grain factory PPU ammo but recently thought about going to a 40 or 45 grain bullet.  My gun is dead on at 175 for the 55 grain, is switching to the lighter bullet going to throw off my accuracy?  Been reading a little bit about twist rates and all of that and now I am worried that I just made a mistake ordering a bunch of lighter bullets for coyotes. 

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: 55 grain to a 40 grain 22.250
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »
Each firearm has it's own personality.  I'd suggest picking up a smaller box of the 40gr and seeing what your particular rifle thinks of it at a range or similar.

2 reloading manuals suggest the higher weighted bullets for the round (ie: 50-55).

Buy a small box and find out :)
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »
Ya, thought that would be the case but figured I would ask.  I guess gotta find a range close to Omaha that won't break the bank.  Any ideas there?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 09:33:08 AM »
bms................

My very uneducated guess is that the shorter 40gr bullet will be less stable around the long axis than the 55gr bullet.

Which might make it tumble or fly a bit when it gets way out there.   Or do some other silly stuff.   Lots depends upon the powder type/charge that you put behind it, which is a function of whatever velocity and accuracy results you might be seeking.   [Won't be the same as the 55gr load.]

Now....uneducated guesses aren't of much value when it comes to actually proofing a load by shooting a group.   So--like unfy sez, you'll want to work up various loads and try 'em out.

If you can't get to an Omaha-local range, then PM me and we can go to my gun club range [guests allowed].   The longest range distance is 200 yards, which is just about right for load testing.   A chronograph and spotting scope will be of help in this case.

sfg
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:37:17 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 12:10:11 PM »
Trying to keep this all as simple as possible, I'd prefer not to write a book:

What is the rate of twist?

Faster twist rates are better for stabilizing longer (heavier) projectiles. In turn, slower twist rates typically like lighter (shorter) projectiles. Note: the weight has little to do with it, instead it is the length of the projectile and how it tends to pitch, yaw, and possibly even tumble, and how well it can be stabilized to prevent that. Heavier projectiles are almost always longer, and lighter is almost always shorter. The effects of this are not usually very noticeable at the ranges you are talking about, but I have seen groups open up quite a bit at 100m with no other explanation.

The lighter projectiles are probably going to have higher initial velocity, but because of less mass, will loose their velocity faster. Even though they loose the velocity more quickly, because they start off going faster, it should not likely be a real issue at the distances you are talking about*.

Lighter projectiles, by necessity, have lower BCs. In addition to not being able to resist drag as well (see last paragraph) they also cannot buck the wind as well. A higher velocity can make up for a lower BC to a certain extent, at shorter ranges. Again, for typical winds, at the ranges you are talking about, the effects will be negligible*.

*Assuming this is for hunting medium to large game

Consistency is the biggest factor. Brass of all similar dimensions and thicknesses, charge weights the same, even bore ride lengths of projectiles, consistently formed meplats, blah blah blah. Many people think that their weapon prefers a certain type of round because of that round's characteristics, however, more often than not, it appears  to prefer that ammo because that ammo is manufactured more consistently.

Now for barrel harmonics. Pretty much repeat everything everybody already said. There are simply too many un-measurable  factors to give any type of prediction. Thickness of the barrel, even temperament of the barrel, lands depth, barrel length, barrel weight, any muzzle devices, blah blah blah. You have to shoot it and see how it does.

Now for the real question: Why did you feel the need to change your load, given that it was "dead on"?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:25:30 PM by wallace11bravo »

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 07:35:39 PM »
I have a Remington model 700 vssf II 22.250.  Not sure the exact barrel and all that, just that its a fluted barrel and I love the gun.  The only reason I thought about switching to a lighter bullet was for coyotes which i was shooting 55 and it was great but sometimes damage the pelts a little more than I would hope for.  I have a friend in Iowa that is reloading me some loads for me and he had some 45 grain laying around.  He is going to load up a couple up a couple to see how it goes before I completely switch.  It always seems factory 45 grain loads are cheaper. 

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »
Thanks for all the help and information!  You guys have a lot of it! 

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »
What bullet are you using now?  For pelt minimal damage it is normally more about bullet construction than bullet weight.  You either want something very stout that is not going to open up much if at all and pass through with little damage.  Or you want something that is going to completely explode very quick once it hits the animal so it does not pass though.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
What bullet are you using now?  For pelt minimal damage it is normally more about bullet construction than bullet weight.  You either want something very stout that is not going to open up much if at all and pass through with little damage.  Or you want something that is going to completely explode very quick once it hits the animal so it does not pass though.

+1

I may recommend a projectile designed for rapid fragmentation, or a lighter and *slower* projectile (most lighter projectiles will have higher velocity). Either something that does not have much terminal energy, or something that is designed to disperse terminal energy rapidly, as opposed to still transferring to the medium, causing cavitation, at or near exit. (depends on what exactly your current complaint is, is it causing large exit wounds? Terminal Ballistics is a tricky mother)

Hell, my brother in law shoots yotes with a .17hmr.

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:44:31 PM »
I am shooting a PPU soft point 55 grain.  No complaints except for the last two coyotes I shot the pelts got damaged decently.  I will throw a curve... The 2 before that were fine, one of them it was hard to find the entrance point.  They are normally all staying within the coyote. 

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 09:57:58 AM »
Yeah the soft points are designed to continue to expand as they go through and at .22-250 velocity they are probably breaking apart and the possibility of some extreme pelt damage especially if you hit some bone like the shoulder or an opposite side rib.  I would certainly check out the 55gr vmax or ballistic tip.  At 3600fps you would rarely experience a pass through.  And they are known to be very accurate little bullets.

I'm not sure how far you shoot but the heavier bullets are going to better with ballistics and performance beyond that 300yrd mark.

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 10:00:59 AM »
This applies for coyote size stuff.  Smaller varmints can get torn apart pretty good with any .22 centerfire.