< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 40S&W in a Glock ?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
40S&W in a Glock ?
« on: November 11, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
While looking for 10ga 00buck.... decided early on that I was going to avoid the day being a complete loss and picked up a new-to-me reloading manual while out shopping.

Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Ed.  $17, lotsa and lotsa tables. with lots'n'lots of powder per charge typically etc.

Anyhoo, checking it's 40S&W section, it includes a weird note:

"Do not use reloads in Glock or similar guns with chambers that do not fully support the cartridge due to intrusion of the feed ramp".

My Sig P229 doesn't appear to be affected, but are there glocks out there that the feed ramp extends into the chamber a bit ... thus possibly causing excessive case bulging in those regions or something ?

I'm confused  :-\
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
Re: 40S&W in a Glock ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 02:46:04 PM »
Yes. The Gen 2s are much worse than the 3.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 05:53:48 PM »
Is that for 40S&W only?

I think every 1911 barrel I've ever seen is like this. I've never had a problem with .45ACP reloads - and 10's of thousands maybe 100's of thousands of other people reload for their 1911's - regardless of caliber.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »
the pressures in 40 are the problem with the un supported chamber. it is also an issue with 10mm glocks.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 03:36:10 AM »
I stick to low ends of powder charges for my g23. I also bulge bust every single .40 I have after sizing them. You can tell when you are using the bulge buster on a piece of brass from a glock. Some cases go through with no resistance at all and many of the glock ones take some pushing.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 05:48:42 AM »
I changed to a Wolf barrel on my 23 and have not had any problem since.

Offline gibbs459

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:32:45 PM »
I have shot .40 reloads in Glocks for years. Have never had an issue. I think most of the paranoia still stems from the Glock being a polymer gun. Old school thought trying to come up with an excuse not to shoot one. If you follow good reloading practices you should never have any problems.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 02:54:41 PM »
the paranoia stems from the 2nd gen glocks and full power reloads. they wont fail after one or two reloads, but ballooning the case at the webbing over and over again will cause failure. there are plenty of pictures showing it.

Offline gibbs459

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 12:23:50 PM »
If you follow good reloading practices you should never have any problems.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 02:21:16 PM »
Loaded for 40 S&W Glocks a long time with no problems.  Never exceed the loads listed in the Hornady book, always full length resize.  Have not seen any problems.  Earlier the reloading companies were stating that the 40 S&W reload problems were with lead bullets and lead buildup in the barrel causing the overpressure.  I don't load lead in anything other then 38 Special.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »
Loaded for 40 S&W Glocks a long time with no problems.  Never exceed the loads listed in the Hornady book, always full length resize.  Have not seen any problems.  Earlier the reloading companies were stating that the 40 S&W reload problems were with lead bullets and lead buildup in the barrel causing the overpressure.  I don't load lead in anything other then 38 Special.
how long does your brass last in your second gen

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »
I shoot lead through my Sig P229 .40s&w frequently.  Just a matter of tailoring the load to reducing fouling.

Concerning the second gen glocks and reloads -> case head separation seems like it'd be more prone due to the extra stress of repeated bulge busting.  Any proper inspection of brass should weed out problem cases though.  I can't imagine there being any concerns of it being a polymer pistol... all of the critical bits are made of metal after all.

The picture posted jonm does a great job at demonstrating the not-quite-full support in some pistols, though.  Similarly, I'll echo his statement concerning pressures in the 40 vs 45... the 45 is a far lower pressure rating... thus far less of an issue.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D