< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CCW with an old DUI  (Read 4022 times)

Offline jimneb

• Powder Benefactor
CCW with an old DUI
« on: November 12, 2012, 05:11:52 PM »
I pled no contest to DUI in July of 2006. Will this disqualify me for a CCW in Nebraska?

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: CCW with an old DUI
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »
Nope, you're fine assuming you meet the other requirements. 

Nebraska CHP application here: https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/formsdocuments.aspx

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:06:37 PM by HuskerXDM »
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 06:41:27 PM »
jimneb:

Here's some very recent email correspondence I had with an NE State Patrol attorney on the exact same topic:
=================================
Attorney to Me:
Thank you for submitting a question to the Nebraska State Patrol. In your email, you asked, “If a NE citizen over 21 years of age applies for a CHPermit, but has a DUI or Minor in Possession for alcohol [controlled substance?] within the past 10 years, is that citizen eligible to receive an NE CHPermit??”

You can find all of the eligibility criteria for an individual to receive a concealed handgun permit in the Concealed Handgun Permit Act, found in sections 69-2427 through 69-2449 of the Nebraska Revised Statutes. You can find those statutes at this link: http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/browse-statutes.php. The crime of Driving Under the Influence is not listed as a prohibitor anywhere in those statutes, and thus does not affect an individual’s ability to obtain a concealed handgun permit. The same is true with regard to Minor in Possession crimes. However, you should note that Nebraska Revised Statutes section 69-2433(9) prohibits a permit holder from being on parole or probation.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact me if I can provide any additional information.

Signed by NE SP Attorney

================================
And---jimneb---I also hope that this information sets your mind at ease on that issue.  Now---go get your CHP.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline jimneb

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies. I previously had decided that I live in a small enough town that I don't need a CCW. Some recent events made me rethink my position.

I plan to pick my carry gun tomorrow. I need to renew my handgun purchase certificate before I can do anything. They were out of forms when I stopped by on Thursday.  :o

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 07:10:19 PM »
Sadly, they don't offer one you can download and print / fill out yourself :(.

They offer an example that's ugly and heavily water marked with 'sample'.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »
I always made the mistake of saying "that doesn't happen in a small town" till i started talking with the local LEO's.  I went from not doing much to locking all doors including garage walk in doors, double checking doors, pistol near me at almost all times, self defense shotgun in the house, and always...always being aware of whats going on around me. 

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 08:01:20 PM »
You are also fine to get a Utah permit.... They only go back 4-5 years on a DUI.... UT has the strictest alcohol rules

Offline D1sclaimer

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 01:38:50 AM »
Sadly, they don't offer one you can download and print / fill out yourself :(.

They offer an example that's ugly and heavily water marked with 'sample'.

Each Handgun Purchase Permit form has a serial number on it.  They keep a log of your name, the application serial number, and your NTN background check number in a log book because they do internal audits.  The application serial number is written onto your issued permit on the "Certificate Number" space. That is why they don't have a printable form.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 01:54:35 AM »
ah.  don't recall noticing such a thing when filling out the form, to me just seemed to be another 'you are allowed to do this, right' form heh.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline jimneb

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 07:11:27 AM »
Each Handgun Purchase Permit form has a serial number on it.  They keep a log of your name, the application serial number, and your NTN background check number in a log book because they do internal audits.  The application serial number is written onto your issued permit on the "Certificate Number" space. That is why they don't have a printable form.

Thanks for posting. I had no idea that each application was serialized to the matching permit.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
I don't figure they could have added DUI to the restrictions, otherwise, many of the senator would not be able to CCW ;)

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 02:32:22 PM »
Only if it's a Felony DUI (3rd DUI conviction)

Offline jimneb

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »
Only if it's a Felony DUI (3rd DUI conviction)

Once was more than enough for me. I will be waiting longer for my purchase permit though. They are back ordered and several counties are out until the 20th.