< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Springfield Range Officer  (Read 2146 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Springfield Range Officer
« on: November 16, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Anybody have one of these or shot one? Starting to get some funds saved up and I am really wanting a 1911. Working at Cabelas gun counter I get the luxury of "playing" with 1911's and this one feels tighter than most Kimbers and has a trigger better than many Kimbers I have showed to people. Also seems to be at a good price range. I would change out the sights asap since they are not attractive and would be completely worthless unless in a very well lit room.

And does anybody have a preference of magazines? Sounds like people like Colt, Chip McCormick, and Wilson mags. Are these decent? Wilson combat magazines can be found for 20 bucks and seem like a decent deal.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Springfield Range Officer
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
Wilson Combat 47D's turned my $400 Filipino el-cheapo 1911 into a reliable gun.

My next 1911 style gun will be a SIG 938, I think. It's not quite a 1911 .... but very close.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »
I agree with Jim P the Wilson 47D magazine is a good selection. I own five.

Wilson does have a newer version but cost is app 5-7 $s more.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
I have a Springfield Range Officer 1911...for about 9 months now. Overall a very attractive pistol with all the things you might initially want on a 1911. Liked not having the front serrations (more of an original look and not so copy cat). Have been runing off the shelf ammo and reloads. Feeds everything except some very light load SWC plated bullets I made up and only a couple of fail to eject out of some 100 rounds...everything else was flawless. No problem with the provided magazines, but also running a couple of Wilson Combat ETM mags (and not running the SWC through the stock mags yet...don't know if there is a difference...just didn't want to push any luck there).
Have noticed from research that the ROs were shipping with sights low and left. Mine showed up the same and a bore laser verified the issue (thought I really sucked at .45 shooting initially). After adjusting the rear sight (there is a set screw under the elevation....side adjustment was not enough to correct...and they are glued down with some clear stuff like loctite). Also there was an issue with the rear sight cross pin sliding out...mine had that also even though the holes are staked. Super glue for a quick fix. 
Although the rear target sight was looked at as a bonus (main use for target shooting), it is bulky and sharp.
Overall, the fit, finish and function has been excellent and the gun is overall a very good buy.

Offline lunchbox

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »
I have a RO that I have done extensive custom work to. Personally , I think the RO is the best 1911 you can buy in that price range. Mine has proven to be very accurate and reliable even before the work was done to it. I will warn you. The rear sight is a LPA cut and the only fixed sight available for it is made by John Harrison. It is a very nice sight, and he offers it in all black or with tritium.  It isn't the most attractive sight, but functions very well. The factory rear that comes on it is one of the best adjustables made(Kensight). I chose to turn my existing front sight into a FO, although Dawson Precision offers some pre made FO front sights. Here are some links to replacement sights.

Rear
http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/c/64/rear-sights-for-lpa-cut-springfield-adj-non-tritium-models
Front
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT:Springfield+Armory+1911+Front+Sights

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 05:58:36 PM »
One other odd thing about my RO...the feed ramp was only half polished. One side was polished and half the other side was not. A couple minutes with dremel (Foredom cable tool actually) and a felt bob and some red rouge put in the missed polish. Fire the gun before the polish and no problems, but was planning to run the weird SWC and wanted every advantage possible. Round and hollow points have never had any feed issues.