< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Built my first AR lower!  (Read 3612 times)

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
Built my first AR lower!
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:25:25 AM »
Thanks to those that responded to my other thread about semi-auto rifles for 3-gun (http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,6194.0.html) I'm happy to finally get a start on my AR-15.  :P

I bought a stripped, Spikes Tactical lower from DE Guns and found a Spikes enhanced lower parts kit online along with a Spikes buffer tube assembly and stock. Call me nuts, but I thought it would be nice for the lower to be all one "brand" and I'm just kind of anal-retentive that way, I guess.

I chose the enhanced parts kit because it came with a nicer trigger (nickle boron coated and factory polished), plus it includes an ambidextrous safety selector (I'm left-handed). I've got to say, from a newbie's perspective, the number of springs, pins, and detents was a little daunting, but after looking at some of the parts lists on ar15.com and watching way too many videos on youtube, I did manage to figure it out. That brings up another thing I like about the enhanced kit: it comes with an extra detent spring and dentent for the takedown and pivot pins. Thankfully, I didn't loose either, but that's a really nice touch and very thoughtful.

Thanks to a tip from some of the good folks in this forum, I was able to use a vice-grip tool (with the jaws taped to avoid maring) to slowly push the roll pins into the receiver. This worked great! I can't tell you how funny it is to watch a video of somebody beating the crap out of their receiver with a brass hammer and then simply pushing your pin in with seemingly little effort. My wife walked by while I was watching a video where a guy was trying to use a punch and a hammer to push the roll pin into the bolt catch. After seeing how easy it was with the vice grips, we both just chuckled.

Overall, the fit and finish of the parts I bought was good to excellent. The only issue was with the pistol grip -- there were several bits of extra rubber in places that I had to trim, but it fit very (very!) tightly and looks decent enough.

The only part that had me scratching my head was how to get the buttstock onto the buffer tube. I finally figured out that instead of squeezing the lever, you should pull down on it to get it into the groove on the buffer tube.

Actually, there was one more thing that was kind of confusing -- none of the videos I found showed my exact parts kit and Spike's enhanced kit comes with special trigger and hammer pins along with an anti-roll system (I think that's what it's called) that attaches to the pins to keep them in place. That had me scratching my coconut for a little bit, too.

The tools I used were:
Vice Grip with tape on the teeth
Small vice
20 round p-mag (to use as a vice block)
Screw driver
Allen wrenches
Small punch and hammer (to finish pushing in the roll pins to make them flush)
Computer (youtube and ar15.com)
Flashlight (to find that spring that got away)
Needlenose pliers

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to all here for your suggestions. :kiss: I'll try to post some pictures before I loose the thing in a tragic boating accident or something.  ;D

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Built my first AR lower!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 07:11:36 AM »
Well, now you're proper hooked. Lol
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »
Congrats on getting it together.  I just put my first one together not to long ago.  I have to say when I put all those parts out on the table at first though I thought, "what did I get myself into" lol.  But after watching some videos on youtube it went pretty quickly.  Are you going to assemble your upper or purchase one already assembled?   

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 01:39:21 PM »
Yes, I am indeed hooked.  :)

Here are some pictures.

My plan is to buy a complete upper. The main reason is that I don't have the tools to build my own and I'm not real gun-smithy, so checking the headspace and making sure the thing won't blow up when I fire it is kind of important to me.  :laugh:

I'm looking for a flat-top, 16-18", mid-length gas system, with a barrel twist of 1/7 or 1/8 (maybe 1/9 if everything else is right). I'd also like to use flip-up sites so I'm hoping to find something without a fixed front site (this is just because I like the look of the flip up sites better). A forend with a quadrail or maybe just tapped for pickatiny rails would also be nice.

So, given that wish list, I may end up having to make friends with a smith that has the tools, and buy the parts. I'm hopeful I can find a complete one, though.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 03:05:38 PM »
Talk to rob at Exeter Arms. Thats where i got my upper.

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 04:49:56 PM »
Looks good!  I bought a complete upper off Midway for the first one I did.  I've been collecting parts since to build another upper.  Good luck!

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 09:08:35 AM »
I bought a complete upper with YHM receiver, 1:9" twist heavy profile 16" barrel, free-float quad rail, and low-profile gas block from John Evichin (call 732-610-6363) out in Pennsylvania for $431.37 including shipping, and I've been very pleased with it. Here are some pics of my rifle:

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 12:07:00 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »
Very nice. She looks mean -- and the rifle looks pretty cool, too.  :laugh:

How does it shoot? Would you say you're getting close to 1 MOA at 100 yards?

Thanks!

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 09:56:51 AM »
Very nice. She looks mean -- and the rifle looks pretty cool, too.  :laugh:

How does it shoot? Would you say you're getting close to 1 MOA at 100 yards?

Thanks!

Well, I honestly can't tell you because I haven't really done any bench shooting at 100 yards with it. Here is a pic of a 4-shot group (with one flyer) at 260 yards, using a zero magnification Vortex Strikefire red dot and firing from the prone position with a folded up soft rifle case as a rest:

(Disregard the larger hole closer to the bullseye from my .308.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:06:47 AM by CitizenClark »

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »
Wow nice shooting!

If I understand MOA correctly (and I'm just learning, so someone should probably correct me), a 1 inch group at 200 yards is a half minute of angle, so I'd say you've got a nice shooter there.

Thanks for the pics and the phone number for your "source."

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 10:17:04 PM »
Resurrection! The thread lives!

Anyway, I thought I would update with some new, crappy phone pics. I finally got my upper (ordered just after the craziness started in December).

I had a little trouble getting the upper to fit onto the lower. I could get the front pin in, but it wouldn't actually come down flush in back, so the back pin wouldn't go in. I tried several methods of force, but finally put it down, thought about it overnight, and figured out the buffer tube was screwed on too far. I loosened the castle nut and turned the buffer tube back one thread and viola! Perfect fit.

Anyway, my black rifle now looks pretty evil, if I do say so myself. Future plans include either a scope or red dot optic. Maybe a flashlight, maybe an angled foregrip (maybe), and someday, a better bolt carrier group. For now, I'm super happy to have a functional rifle!  ;D

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »
Excellent!  DD rail?

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 10:37:03 PM »
Excellent!  DD rail?

Actually, the entire upper came from RGuns.NET. They call it their RGQ handrail. It sort of looks like a Daniel Defense, though, I suppose.