< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CCW permitting one gun  (Read 2622 times)

Offline dancindave89

• NFOA Full Member
CCW permitting one gun
« on: April 05, 2009, 08:59:59 PM »
I have a question I believe can be answered here.  I've been thinking about going though the class and applying for a CCW permit.  But I have a question.  Is it true that when you get your permit from the State Patrol, you have to put a specific gun on the permit? And is that the only gun you will be allowed to carry concealed?  If this is true, then that is a huge turn off for me.  I don't believe a person should only be allowed to carry on specific gun for a CCW permit.  Wouldn't it be worth it to try and get an ammendment in HR 430 to change this.  I have several handguns and may change my choice depending upon what I'm doing that day. 
Dave Zwiener-Take a kid hunting, it'll change their life and yours!!!
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Life Member Buckmasters
Member Varmint Hunters Association
Member NWTF

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
Re: CCW permitting one gun
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:06:57 PM »
I don't know who told you that you had to specify a firearm, it's not a requirement...

Offline Thomas

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 09:16:52 PM »
Not true, my Nebraska permit says, "Concealed Handgun Permit." SP didn't even ask what kind of gun I was going to carry. Took my app, prints, photo and money. My LEO friends have told me they have to qualify with their service weapon(s) whatever they are going to carry, but not us civilians. 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 09:49:35 PM »
It would be real easy to just read the application

http://www.nsp.state.ne.us/docs/forms/CCW_NSP1710_Application.pdf
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 10:56:43 PM »
The only issue you would have is making sure the gun you have on you is registered with the OPD if you are going to carry in Omaha...... until lb430 passes.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline dancindave89

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Actually it is on my Superintendents CCW permit.  He showed it to me a couple weeks ago.  And it is printed on the permit the specific gun and caliber and I believe the serial #. 
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Life Member Buckmasters
Member NWTF

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 11:01:04 PM »
It must not be a Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit, then. As others have said, the Nebraska permit is not tied to any specific firearm, nor is any of the information you listed above printed on a Nebraska CHP.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 11:02:40 PM by Jay »

A-FIXER

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »

? Reply #6 on: Today at 11:01:04 PM ? Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It must not be a Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit, then. As others have said, the Nebraska permit is not tied to any specific firearm, nor is any of the information you listed above printed 

+1 A+     None specific

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 05:49:59 PM »
Actually it is on my Superintendents CCW permit.  He showed it to me a couple weeks ago.  And it is printed on the permit the specific gun and caliber and I believe the serial #. 

This sure sounds like it is a City of Omaha Firearm Registration card.
This or some other states permit.

Click on Permit for larger photo.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:51:43 PM by Randy »
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 09:23:22 PM »
That's some pretty good graphics-foo there, Randy!  Show me how that's done sometime, eh?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »
I think you have to give the info for the gun you are using to qualify with, but after that you can carry whatever you want.

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 10:46:53 AM »
I didn't have to give make, model, caliber, when I qualified.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 11:05:31 AM »
Just to clear this up...

There is no information whatsoever regarding any specific gun, caliber, serial #, etc. that is required to obtain a Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit. The permit is not tied to any specific firearm, nor does Nebraska require you to give any information on what firearm you used to pass the qualification test with. Once you have obtained a valid Nebraska CHP, you can legally carry any concealed handgun, or multiple handguns, or multiple handguns at the same time, any place in Nebraska except for those places restricted by law.

The only place I know of in the state where there is any sort of registration of a firearm at all required is in the city of Omaha. As of this moment, even non residents entering the city of Omaha, legally carrying a concealed handgun as allowed by the state of Nebraska, must have whatever handgun or handguns they are carrying at the time registered with the city or they are in violation of local law.

As far as the required class and range qualification tests, I believe there are some instructors that may list certain firearm calibers, platforms, etc. that they will not allow a student to qualify with, but that is by the prerogative of the instructor, NOT a requirement of the state.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:07:16 AM by Jay »

Offline dancindave89

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 05:47:36 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I'll have to ask to see his permit again next week.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Life Member Buckmasters
Member NWTF