< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How many folks here have any medical training?  (Read 2920 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
How many folks here have any medical training?
« on: April 06, 2009, 10:49:32 AM »
I ask because I just passed my Nat'l Registry test for EMT-Basic...... it was a requirement for joining the VFD here in West Bugtussle...... and I thought it would good stuff to know:

Self-defense people are always asking themselves "what if"......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: How many folks here have any medical training?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 02:26:42 PM »
I have a very limited amount, maybe enough to do some good until someone much smarter than I arrives. The VFD I was a part of doesn't quite have the same amount of training requirements as yours. I was also the designated squad driver for the rescue side. We only had 2 EMT's, and they needed to be in the back, not up front, so I did get some training there as well as some good real world experience being the gopher/assistant on scene during rescue calls when there was no fire to fight.

For such a tiny little town, though, we did have (and they still do have as far as I know) some great people volunteer.

You are very lucky to have the VFD/Rescue that you guys have, JimP.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:13:30 PM »
I used to be EMT when I was in the service. I was in the USAF as a firefighter.first got certified in CPR when I was in the 7th grade.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 09:57:56 PM »
I am not a big believer in luck, Jay. There may be such a thing, but I confine my concerns to things I have control over.  The VFD/Rescue squad we have did not come from luck- it came from a long line of individuals dedicated to a cause...... I did not have any idea of the time and money investment involved when I volunteered, but the little bit I have done is dwarfed by the hours put in by others there.......  a lot of hours for little benefit, other than knowing if we need an ambulance or our house catches fire, we are not SOL, which in the event that such a thing were to happen, would be positively priceless............ kinda like carrying a gun: It's expensive in both time and money, it's a PITA, but if you need it, there is no substitute.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:01:43 PM »
I volunteered for 10 years with Plattsmouth and had both National and Sate EMT-D certification.
Plattsmouth now has some full EMP's (paramedics). I still carry a full jump kit in my truck. Want to buy one of the newer quick clot trauma pads.

It is no small achievement to earn these certifications with some 130+ Hours of classroom training, there is such a diffrence between Emergency and Clinical Medicine. Many RN's have problems with this.

Jay's mother volunteered and trained for the original Murray First Responder Program.

There is such a high burn out rate for EMT's with life being so busy the need for more members is always there. I encourage anyone interested to contact there local City Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department for a ride along program.

Jim when you get your first heart attack patient back into regular rhythm or rescue that live toddler from the burning house the feeling is priceless.
Congratulation's Jim P. on being a EMT/Fireman
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 07:40:37 PM »
Randy you nailed it. It is priceless. I was always told that if you save one person all the time and money spent was worth it.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 07:05:06 PM »
First Responder last 5 years  AED/CPR , First Aid, Attended training on Gun Shot wounds,

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 09:49:01 PM »
I was on a volunteer fire dept in Wyoming several years ago and I took the first responder training.  I figured out pretty quickly that the best place for me at a crash site would be flagging traffic! I was out on a lot of house and grass fires, but never an injury call.
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 02:21:44 PM »
4 years after college and 3 years of residency

Everyone out there carrying needs to have some sort of trauma kit in their vehicle and their home. This is one thing not stressed enough in a CHP course.  You may indeed get shot (or someone in your family).   A good place to start is www.NARescue.com

Something as simple as their Operator BLS/IFAK kit is must have, or strongly consider.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Do You Have a Proper Medic Kit With You When You Go Hunting/Shooting?
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 03:39:31 PM »
QuikClot http://www.z-medica.com/quikclot/index.asp
I was considering adding this to my jump kit and for my wife's car's medic kit.
Has anyone used this I understand that it is used over seas in the Sand Box.

Every shooter needs to have a medical kit be-it for the field the range or private shooting area.
Start with some 4x4"s medical gauze and some wrap-able bandage/gauze.
Don't worry that you have enough Tylenol worry if you can stop the bleed remember direct pressure to the wound.

Think about it you are in the woods maybe have cell service could you even direct a Rescue Squad to your location? Could they find you in time? Will you see your family again? Who is going to teach that grand child how to shoot?

I am going on a Prairie Dog Shoot in early June, Will be app 15 miles NW of Devils Tower these areas are called good luck zones if you are hurt or have a medical problem.
Good luck meaning you will be lucky if you survive.

Here is one more of many pre made up kits and reasonable about the cost of a box bullets.

http://www.rescue-essentials.com/servlet/Categories?category=EMS
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 03:42:27 PM by Randy »
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 08:52:38 AM »
Quick Clot is the standard, especially in the "Combat Gauze" form.  Granular products are not recommended anymore unless absolutely a last resort i.e. possible continued bleeding from subclavian artery.  Problems come when the trauma surgeons go into to find the source of the bleed.  Following is some other current recommendations:

"I would like to provide the most current information regarding hemorrhage control. This information is based on the evidence coming out of Iraq and Afghanistan in treating our soldiers.

The Committee on Tactical Combat Causality Care has revised their recommendations for the 2008 Guidelines. See the info below.

ow>2008 TCCC Updates
The 2008 TCCC Update has a Chart on page 21 showing the major Hemostatic Agents

Here are the important notes for the changes in Hemostatic Agents in TCCC. This is from a memo from Capt. Frank Butler the Chairman of CoTCCC.

A number of new hemostatic agents have recently become available. These new agents have undergone testing both at the U.S. Army Institute for Surgical Research (USAISR) and the Naval Medical Research Center (NMRC). The findings from these studies were presented to the Committee on TCCC (CoTCCC) on 1 April 2008. Three different swine bleeding models were used: a 6mm femoral artery punch model at USAISR and both a 4mm femoral artery punch model and a femoral artery/vein transaction model at NMRC. Both the NMRC and the USAISR studies found Combat Gauze and Woundstat to be consistently more effective than the hemostatic agents HemCon and QuikClot previously recommended in the 2006 TCCC guidelines. No significant exothermic reaction was noted with either agent. Celox was also found to outperform the current agents, although it performed less well than WoundStat in the more severe USAISR model, where 10 of 10 Woundstat animal survived, 8 of 10 Combat Gauze animals survived, and 6 of 10 Celox animals survived. The reports detailing this research will be available shortly from USAISR and NMRC.

In light of these findings, the CoTCCC voted to recommend Combat Gauze as the first line treatment for life-threatening hemorrhage that is not amenable to tourniquet placement. Woundstat is recommended as the backup agent in the event that Combat Gauze does not effectively control the hemorrhage. The primary reason for this order of priority is that combat medical personnel on the committee expressed a strong preference for a gauze-type hemostatic agent rather than a powder or granule. This preference is based on field experience that powder or granular agents do not work well in wounds where the bleeding vessel is at the bottom of a narrow wound tract. A gauze-type hemostatic agent is more effective in this setting. Combat Gauze was also noted to be more easily removable from the wound site at the time of surgical repair. Woundstat might, however, be very useful in circumstances where the first-line agent has been ineffective or where the characteristics of the wound make a granular agent preferable.

You can get Combat Gauze and WoundStat from North American Rescue Products or Chinook Medical
The disadvantage to Combat Gauze and WoundStat is cost. Both are between $30 and $40 per package.

If you want Celox I would go Calvery Arms

I would stay away from QuickClot as the new versions just do not work as well as Combat Gauze, WoundStat, or Celox. In fact in the USAIR and NMRC study referenced in the above memo, 0 out of 10 animals survived with QuickClot. But if you want it, try L.A. Police Gear

Before you set out to buy Hemostatic Agents be sure you understand the proper wound management and packing. Direct pressure is the first line treatment. The American College of Surgeons and the Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support Guidelines no longer recommend elevation and pressure points for severe bleeding. There is no evidence that these techniques work and you may be wasting precious time. It is possible to bleed out from a femoral artery injury in as fast as 3 minutes. If direct pressure does not work, for extremity trauma go directly to a tourniquet. No they will not lose the limb. See the links below for the studies. For bleeding that is not amenable by a tourniquet such as a high femoral artery injury go to your hemostatic agents. Apply the agent and pack the wound with gauze and apply constant pressure for 2-3 minutes. Wrap with compression bandage to keep pressure on the wound.

The most important step is to pack the wound and fill the void. Go HERE scroll down and click on Videos to view proper wound packing.

Like many traditional beliefs, the tradition is strong, but the evidence is weak. Here is the evidence supporting tourniquet use

February 2008 Journal Of Trauma - Tourniquet Use
This is an overview of the article. I have the PDF of this that I can email if you would like

Here is an article from JEMS
Tourniquet First

Another JEMS Article
Return of the Tourniquet

If you are looking for the best Tourniquet available look for the C-A-T or SOF Tourniquet both are approved by the CoTCCC for use by the military and both provide complete blood flow stoppage in the femoral artery. Both can be placed one handed and just plain work. The C-A-T is the current issue to US Special Operations Soldiers.

The nuts of it is Tourniquets are very effective lifesaving tools that have very few side effects, even when placed incorrectly and left in place for several (greater than 2) hours. Tourniquets are used in surgery everyday with no complications. We must retrain ourselves and remember that Tourniquets work and are safe, just ask the many soldiers who are alive today because of one."

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 07:43:37 PM »
My first post on this forum...

Great information from all.  I'm a retired NE ARNG medic (2002) and EMT-A since 1987 and recertified as an EMT-B in 2002. My primary role is in bioterrorism response/Strategic National Stockpile management for the division of public health with the state.  The wife is the state trauma coordinator.

Just wanted to put in two-cents for the bioterrorism symposia that are occurring around the state that offer some continuing ed. credit for various health professions.  The link is below. It is approved for up to 13-credit hours for EMT's.  CEU's are also available for physicians, nurses, PA's and Veterinarians as well.  I will be presenting CHEMPACK's which is one of the programs I administer regarding chemical nerve agent caches around the state and the use of MARK I and DuoDote injectors. This is not an advertisement in any way, just an opportunity for some CEU's.  Here's the link for the brochure.

http://www.bioprepare.org/Training/Brochures/2009-Symposia-Brochure.pdf

Bioprepare.org is also a great website for biopreparedness as well.

Wren

Offline Josh1776

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 12:42:05 AM »
Are the symposia open to the public?
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." -H.L. Mencken

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 04:06:42 PM »
CPR training only.  I have a basic first aid kit in the trunk along with some Quick Clot mesh bags. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 06:49:18 PM »
Yes, the BT Symposia are open to the public, however they are geared towards health care professionals.  There is a registration fee of $40.00 for two days or $25.00 for one day, including lunch.  As I've disclosed that I am a contracted speaker (even though the state funds the center, the state program I manage, etc. as it all comes out of the same pot...) it is a great opportunity for CEU's.

Again, please check the link for the brochure in my prior post with the conference schedule.

Wren