< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LB 430 is on Tuesdays agenda for Select File  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
LB 430 is on Tuesdays agenda for Select File
« on: April 06, 2009, 05:11:35 PM »
Wow, moving quickly. I expect to see Senator Avery try to add his LB 145 garbage into LB 430.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
Re: LB 430 is on Tuesdays agenda for Select File
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:32:21 AM »
Anyone understand what avery's amendment is about? It is already plenty illegal to have a gun on school property as far as I know...

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/FloorDocs/Current/PDF/AM/AM993.pdf

why is he trying to tack this stuff onto a bill that is only about CCW?

P.S. I would be fine with the amendment if it would also include a CCW exemption for Schools.. bah, wishful thinking I guess.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 10:35:13 AM by Jesse T »
N0ZXR

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 12:43:07 PM »
Avery is probably trying to head off the momentum that we have generated to prevent anyone wanting to defend themselves on a school campus. Hell he probably believes that magic signs will keep everyone safe.

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
I just got off the pheone with Christensens office they are having a meeting  this afternoon to discuss the way this bill is getting muddled up. I suggested that when you ban firearms then the banners should assume any and all liability for any injuries or death. Lets make some phone call gunners!

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
Avery is angry that a pro ccw bill is advancing so he is mudding it up with his LB 145. Avery is upset about the two guys carrying rifles on the UNL campus going to a Republican rally last year. That is what this is all about

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:26:48 AM »
Folks, I still think we need to fight this language in AM993. This was my letter to some friendly Senators:

Dear Senators,

The amendment that was introduced by Senator Avery (AM993) and adopted by the legislature defines colleges & universities as schools. As a permit holder and a university student I have major concerns with the language in this amendment.

As I read it, the amendment makes it illegal for students (adult or not) to have guns on campus or even in their vehicles. A non-student adult however may have a firearm in their vehicle as long as it is unloaded and fully encased.

I feel that this creates another host of problems for Concealed Handgun Permit holders who are either adult non-students or adult students.

As mentioned above I am an adult, Concealed Handgun Permit holder, and university student. When I do my errands for the day I would like to carry my concealed handgun with me for personal protection. One of my stops during the day might be the University bookstore for example. The law would require me to drive back home and drop my handgun off, and then drive back to school to buy my book. Then I would have to drive back home, pick up my gun and continue with the other errands for the day.

Another example would be a non-student adult, who has a Concealed Handgun Permit, trying to pick up a friend or family member from the university/college campus/school. The law would require this person to pull over to the side of the road, take the concealed handgun out of their pants, unload the handgun, and place the handgun in a case or locked container before entering the university/college/school property with their vehicle.

Is it not the intention of LB430 to allow Concealed Handgun Permit holders to "carry anywhere in Nebraska" and to allow them to be exempt from criminal prosecution "so long as the handgun is not removed from the vehicle while the vehicle is in or on the place or premises."?

I would appreciate an amendment to AM993 to allow an exception for Concealed Handgun Permit holders to possess loaded concealed handguns in their vehicles parked on school property.

Thank you for hearing my concerns regarding this matter.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:29:20 AM by DanClrk51 »