< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shotgun stock (mold?)  (Read 1296 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Shotgun stock (mold?)
« on: November 27, 2012, 11:05:20 AM »
I'll have to post pics of the 10ga sxs on the forum eventually... been meaning to.  'tis a Richland Arms 710 or 711.  Zimbala (or something like that) Spanish made, from the 70's.  I'll be turning this into an NFA SBS eventually.

Anyhoo... the question is this:

Eventually, I may want to make this thing pistol grip only.  The pistol grip style is up in the air, but effectively just cutting the existing wood stock to follow the finger grip section seems applicable.

My Dad (72) lives in Cali.  He used to do some hand wood working stuff and I'd love to give him a project to do (assuming he's up to the task).... so... I'd like to have him make me a new pistol grip only stock.

So... the question becomes ... what would be the preferred way of getting him a replica of my existing stock without actually mailing him the one I already have (making the gun useless in the mean time) ?

Can I take it off and make a plaster mold ? or ?

IE: I'd like him to be able to carve me a stock and for it to match the gun without extra work for me once it comes back.  I know just sending him the existing stock is easiest, but I'd like to keep the weapon operable while he's working on it.

Ideas ?
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Shotgun stock (mold?)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »
Inletting a stock is  not normal woodworking, and can be very difficult to do without a  model or old stock to copy, and some special skills may be be needed to make the cuts if it is a complicated design
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »
old stock to copy

That's why I'm asking about the possiblities of a mold or something ?
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 02:57:34 PM »
well, you could do a latex mold, but talk about a pain in the tookus...
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »
I've seen guys make a mold for car/motorcycle parts by covering the original part in plastic wrap, then setting it in a box and spraying expanding foam over it.  Not sure that it would work in this application but maybe something similar.