< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gunsmiths in the Lincoln area.  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
Gunsmiths in the Lincoln area.
« on: April 07, 2009, 01:13:25 PM »
Are there any gunsmiths in the Lincoln area that anyone would recommend. I saw Schlereth's gun repair in the phone book, but was just wondering if there was more than just him.
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Gunsmiths in the Lincoln area.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 03:33:33 PM »
I believe the gun shop owner in Cortland south of Lincoln might be a gunsmith.  Not sure but you could call him.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
Are there any gunsmiths in the Lincoln area that anyone would recommend. I saw Schlereth's gun repair in the phone book, but was just wondering if there was more than just him.

What kind of work are you looking to have done?

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »
Before you go to Courtland, I'll show you my Colt 1911 that he screwed up, and then tried to pass off his shoddy work as acceptable.  It's the first rear sight that I've ever seen that after he installed it, I asked him to show me that it was in the dovetail securely, and when he loosened the screws, it fell out of the gun on to the floor. >:( >:( >:(...

There are some decent gunsmiths in the area, first and foremost is Cylinder and Slide Shop in Fremont, but that's a wait to get it anything done, Brass Action in Fremont also does gunsmithing I believe, Great Plains Rifle Company does gunsmithing, they are near Bruno, north of Lincoln, a bit further out towards Lexington is Run-n-Iron, Lonnie does great work but also has a waiting list, and I haven't been over there for awhile but Bedlans in Fairbury use to have a good smith at the store...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:46:02 PM by Wymore Wrangler »

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 09:15:58 PM »
Never took anything there, but good info to know.  Thanks Wymore Wrangler

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:18:13 PM »
Chris,

Right know I am just looking for someone that could do a general inspection on the firearms we use for the USDA. I have one firearm at Schlereths at the moment. Which would not be a big deal generally, but since he doesn't take Credit cards I have to pay for it and wait to get reimbursed from the Gov't since it is a Gov't owned firearm and all we can use are credit cards. If we have to start taking all of our gov't issue firearms in annually to have inspected this might become a bigger issue. He seemed like a graet guy to work with the only draw back for me is the payment issue. But you do what you have to do.

Thanks

Galen 
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 03:40:24 PM »
Ram Ringer, based on your last post, I'd give Cylinder and Slide Shop a call, they do alot of "Government" work for several agencies, Fremont is only an hour north of Lincoln...

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 06:57:21 PM »
Chris,

Right know I am just looking for someone that could do a general inspection on the firearms we use for the USDA. I have one firearm at Schlereths at the moment. Which would not be a big deal generally, but since he doesn't take Credit cards I have to pay for it and wait to get reimbursed from the Gov't since it is a Gov't owned firearm and all we can use are credit cards. If we have to start taking all of our gov't issue firearms in annually to have inspected this might become a bigger issue. He seemed like a graet guy to work with the only draw back for me is the payment issue. But you do what you have to do.

Thanks

Galen 

I have had 1911 work done by Cylinder and Slide, and they did great work.

If they are Glocks you need checked, email me and I will do it for you. I have taken the Glock factory Armorers course, and would be happy to look them over at no charge. If they need any parts replaced, I do it for the cost of the parts. Glock work is so easy, I would be embarrassed to charge for it. I don't consider my self well versed in any other brand pistol that I would work on somebody elses gun other than a Glock.

NOTE TO GLOCK BASHERS- I am offering someone a favor here, so don't chime in with your Glock bashing, as quite honestly I don't find it funny anymore. :-)

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 08:17:47 PM »
Chris, Glock and 1911's are like Fords and Chevy's, each to their own taste and budget.  Just enjoy shooting them...

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 10:10:21 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for the offer, but we are mainly dealing with Rifles and Shotguns. Although I still remember some of the stuff you showed me to look for when buying a used Glock.

Wymore thanks for the info on the folks in Fremont. One of my co-workers is needing some work done on his Bennelli and he does quite a bit of work in that area so I will pass it along.

THanks again.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 11:57:50 AM »
I usually just take stuff out to Schlereths as well...

sounds like Fremont is your deal, someone should sticky this since I'm sure it won't be the last time it is addressed.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 02:44:31 PM »
Just wanted to reply that I picked up my Rifle from Mike last week and will definitly use him again.  I also wanted to clarify that my original post didn't not have anything to do with him or his service. It all had to do with the way the I have to pay and wait to get reimbursed. We use to be able to write out an agency check in place of credit cards, but some people abused the system and screwed it all up. As hard as that may be to believe.

Offline iiranger

• Forum Member
Crete... Re: Gunsmiths in the Lincoln area.
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »
Bob Marvel. 1911 NUT! Anything he agrees to do will be done WELL. No BS here... luck.

PS Lincoln is not too friendly to guns/gunsmiths and they have been disappearing over the years. Began with a couple, to my knowledge, of fellas named Hornady and Speer. You may have heard of them. Then there was Baer, etc.